Wiki Posts
Search

UA segments entirely outside the US

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
UA segments entirely outside the US

Now that UA requires 4 segments on its own metal for any premier status, someone who can't touch US soil for whatever reason has a difficult task to reach or maintain status. Yet, fortunately, there are still some flights operated by UA metal entirely outside the US, and for which UA has carriage rights. I found these:

Middle East:
BAH-KWI
DOH-DXB

Far East:
HKG-SGN
HKG-SIN
NRT-BKK
NRT-HKG
NRT-ICN
NRT-SIN
MNL-ROR
ROR-YAP

Any others? Anything in Europe or the Americas?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Now that UA requires 4 segments on its own metal for any premier status, someone who can't touch US soil for whatever reason has a difficult task to reach or maintain status. Yet, fortunately, there are still some flights operated by UA metal entirely outside the US, and for which UA has carriage rights. I found these:

Middle East:
BAH-KWI
DOH-DXB

Far East:
HKG-SGN
HKG-SIN
NRT-BKK
NRT-HKG
NRT-ICN
NRT-SIN
MNL-ROR
ROR-YAP

Interesting as to why some folks can't touch US soil, but that's a question best suited for OMNI.

Why not simply find a friend with a US street address and get the UA club card? Unless of course the flyer doesn't even have a US Social Security number.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
SYD-MEL, however due to cabotage rules this can only be booked as a part of an international itinerary, so doesn't really help as far as avoiding the US.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:56 am

I'm willing to bet theres not a single person in the world who was looking for a way to fly 4 non-USA UA segments.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K

Middle East:
BAH-KWI
DOH-DXB

Far East:
HKG-SGN
HKG-SIN
NRT-BKK
NRT-HKG
NRT-ICN
NRT-SIN
MNL-ROR
ROR-YAP

Don't Copa flights within Latin America count?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
I'm willing to bet theres not a single person in the world who was looking for a way to fly 4 non-USA UA segments.
How about someone who can't set foot in the US but wants to achieve 1K status for the 6 GPU's to use on LH flights?
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by janehoya
How about someone who can't set foot in the US but wants to achieve 1K status for the 6 GPU's to use on LH flights?
How much effort is 1K worth? I guess if you live in one of those markets, perhaps.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by aacharya
Interesting as to why some folks can't touch US soil, but that's a question best suited for OMNI.

Why not simply find a friend with a US street address and get the UA club card? Unless of course the flyer doesn't even have a US Social Security number.
I imagine there will be more people who won't than who can't.

But yes, by my estimation there are about 6.6 billion people who don't even have a US Social Security number.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by northpole999
Don't Copa flights within Latin America count?
Yes.

Once could meet the 4 segment requirement flying CCS-PTY-HAV and back.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
How about someone living outside the US and for immigration reason (pending petition, for example) and can't visit the US until the paperwork processes? I know someone who was exactly in this situation for a couple of years. He did not have status to maintain, but what if he did? Losing status and then rebuilding it is a lot more painful than just keeping it for one or two bridge years.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
How about someone living outside the US and for immigration reason (pending petition, for example) and can't visit the US until the paperwork processes? I know someone who was exactly in this situation for a couple of years. He did not have status to maintain, but what if he did? Losing status and then rebuilding it is a lot more painful than just keeping it for one or two bridge years.
We're getting closer to OMNI threads here. But I thought one could still visit the US. Depends on your current citizenship and whether the US did require a visa.

For example, from the UK, you're fine to visit LHR-EWR, but may get rejected at CBP if you're pending. Depends on the reason for your visit. From let's say, Nepal, well, you'd have needed a visa, so you're fine.

Either way, you'll still get the miles.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For purposes of this discussion, I would just assume that there are some # of people who know that they will be refused entry to the US. All kinds of reasons for that, some pretty benign and others not so benign.

In the final analysis, if you can't get your 4 segments, you don't get status. No different than the guy who undergoes surgery and can't fly for a year. He loses it too.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Often1
For purposes of this discussion, I would just assume that there are some # of people who know that they will be refused entry to the US. All kinds of reasons for that, some pretty benign and others not so benign.
TITCR. One can become in admissible to the US for a variety of reasons. A lot of them on the minor side of trouble. It extends to other countries as well, people are inadmissible to Canada if they have convicted of DWI.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:06 pm

I know one, and am just about to forward the link. He has already decided on hkg-sin x 2 but i thought he might like some other choices

Originally Posted by Often1

In the final analysis, if you can't get your 4 segments, you don't get status. No different than the guy who undergoes surgery and can't fly for a year. He loses it too.
what a vivid imagination you have..the reasons are much more banale, just currently residing in another continent and tied up with work and cant take the time for longhaul.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 11, 2012 at 3:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Nov 11, 2012, 1:13 pm

Now that UA requires 4 segments on its own metal for any premier status, someone who can't touch US soil for whatever reason has a difficult task to reach or maintain status.
I can't help but to wonder aloud why someone who can't touch US soil would want to work so hard to get status on UA. Yes, some have hypothesized in this thread, but, still would be nice to know the logic here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.