Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Old Gold
Does anyone have any recent experience with companion upgrades on separate PNR's?

I am 1K traveling on a reward ticket eligible for upgrade with Explorer card. Wife is traveling on same itinerary with a paid G fare. What are the chances of adding her to the upgrade list at the airport?

In the good ol' CO days it wasn't a problem, even for companions on the same flight but a different ultimate destination.
Still possible but sometimes very difficult to find an agent that is aware/willing to do it. Probably easier to find someone in an ex-CO hub than ex-UA.

I went to the service desk at the Denver UC a few months back and tried to add my buddy to the gate list. The gentleman I spoke with was adamant it was not allowed and had never been allowed.

When I politely told him it was a carryover from the CO days and I had done it numerous times post merger and was always under the impression is was well
within the rules, he claimed to be a regional trainer and that he would know whats allowed and what isnt.

When I realized I wasnt going to get anywhere with this guy I walked over to the bar and figured I would just try at the gate. Shortly after, a second agent who overheard the conversation walked up to us and apologized. Said his co worker was a clown and not to listen to anything he said. He asked for our boarding passes and when he came back a minute later, my buddy was on the UG list!

When we we were leaving the club, I made sure to thank him in front of the clown I spoke with the first time and said Im sure glad someone knows the rules around here!
Old Oct 24, 2018, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The UA website now explicitly states that companion upgrades are only allowed if your companion is on your PNR:
One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights
Premier Upgrades

I'm not sure that this benefit ever applied where the Premier is flying on a award.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm not sure that this benefit ever applied where the Premier is flying on a award.
The CPU benefit for award tickets is explicitly for the Premier member / cardholder only.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 10:13 am

hi guys, need your opinion. My husband and I are both Premier 1Ks. We would like to go on a trip with our 19 month old baby, and planning to get him a seat of his own.

If we all book on the same PNR, will our son also be eligible for CPU? Since it will be 3 pax in the PNR, I don't know how this works.

Thank you for your help!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott 'clink clink' Titanium
Originally Posted by popcornpop
hi guys, need your opinion. My husband and I are both Premier 1Ks. We would like to go on a trip with our 19 month old baby, and planning to get him a seat of his own.

If we all book on the same PNR, will our son also be eligible for CPU? Since it will be 3 pax in the PNR, I don't know how this works.

Thank you for your help!
I would get a him a UA number and if on the same PNR all are eligible.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:04 pm
Suspended

I'm having a brain fart….1K here..booked award ticket but don't have a United credit card....am I eligible for CPU along with my companion on the same PNR? The travel date is on Xmas day from CLE to TPA
Old Nov 16, 2018, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I'm having a brain fart.1K here..booked award ticket but don't have a United credit card....am I eligible for CPU along with my companion on the same PNR? The travel date is on Xmas day from CLE to TPA
No. If you had the credit card, you'd be eligible but the companion wouldn't. Without the card, no eligibility for either.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 11:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2024 at 10:45 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.