Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2024, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
No. Everyone’s on their own status after split.
I've spent the last few days scouring all of the PNR split threads and I was hoping that I wouldn't come to this conclusion....but does the above statement imply that the CPU benefit is really only a benefit on one-way of a roundtrip ticket?

Agree to split the outbound and non-elite companion gets same status, and then on the return the non-elite has no status

-or-

Do not split the outbound so you aren't upgrade eligible, but retain that option for the return?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by 100% Green
So, can you explain this? If you split the PNR at check in on the outbound, will the companion still retain the status of the highest person in the group on the return? ...
Experience is the companion no longer has the elite's status on the return. You may be able to add the companion at the gate as an off PNR companion if the agent is knowledgeable.

Do I need to let the gate agent know something or is observing both our names on the upgrade list confirmation?
If you are on the gate display list, nothing more needs to be done.

Originally Posted by LRMErnst
I've spent the last few days scouring all of the PNR split threads and I was hoping that I wouldn't come to this conclusion....but does the above statement imply that the CPU benefit is really only a benefit on one-way of a roundtrip ticket?

Agree to split the outbound and non-elite companion gets same status, and then on the return the non-elite has no status

-or-

Do not split the outbound so you aren't upgrade eligible, but retain that option for the return?
Or hope to clear before checkin

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:33 pm Reason: self-merge
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Experience is the companion no longer has the elite's status on the return. You may be able to add the companion at the gate as an off PNR companion if the agent is knowledgeable.
So, on a multi-segment itinerary that means each gate agent? Any instructions that may help the agent?

Thank you for the reply.

Last edited by 100% Green; Nov 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
So, on a multi-segment itinerary that means each gate agent? ....
For off-PNR copanion, yes. This was a pmCO benefit and requires special Shares knowledge. Additionally, it is no longer a published benefit.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Has anyone seen any companion upgrades actually clear? Recently flew on a 2-passenger PNR with one of us Plat and one of us Gold. Didn't clear at the Plat window. A day later (now in the gold window), upon splitting the records we both immediately cleared.

More recently, 2-passenger PNR with both of us 1Ks. Didn't clear at window. Upon splitting we both almost immediately cleared, still inside the 1K window.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Joshua
Has anyone seen any companion upgrades actually clear? Recently flew on a 2-passenger PNR with one of us Plat and one of us Gold. Didn't clear at the Plat window. A day later (now in the gold window), upon splitting the records we both immediately cleared.

More recently, 2-passenger PNR with both of us 1Ks. Didn't clear at window. Upon splitting we both almost immediately cleared, still inside the 1K window.
Having 2 passengers on the same PNR sometimes puts you at a disadvantage relative to single-passenger PNRs if UA only opens one upgrade seat at a time. A 2-passenger PNR will be skipped over to a single-passenger PNR if one seat available. Hard to say if this quirk impacted you or not prior to split though.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Our family of four, one Gold, one Silver just a few hundred short of Gold, and two non-elites. We all got auto upgraded on our outbound direct flight without the reservation getting split at T-24.

When I saw the upgrade email, I was afraid that it meant the reservation got split. Anyone can explain to me how it possibly happened? My understanding based on United policy was that auto-upgrade does not apply to reservations with two or more non-elites.

Last edited by RonAB; Dec 23, 2017 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by RonAB
.... My understanding based on United policy was that auto-upgrade does not apply to reservations with two or more non-elites the
Holiday travel? Sounds like op-ups due to overbooked economy and fewer elites traveling.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
That sounds completely standard. Each elite is allowed one CPU companion. IME UA is smart enough to recognise 1 Silver + 1 Gold + 2 GM = 2x (1 elite + 1 GM) = CPU eligible res, even if there is >1 GM on the reservation itself*. You all cleared at T-24 because when there is more than one elite accompanied by a companion, you clear at the lowest-status window (i.e. Silver). If it were just you and the Silver on the res, the system would count the Silver as your companion and you'd be eligible for UG from T-48 onward.

* I recognise this is different than the policy in the wiki/presumably what's on UA.com, but it's my experience that this is true, from about a dozen multi-statused itins over the last couple years.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:14 am

Thanks for the explanation sfo789. If this is correct, on our return flight we should be put into upgrade list at T-48, as we will 2 Gold + 2 GM.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 11:21 am

Thanks for the explanation sfo789. If this is correct, on our return flight we should be put into upgrade list at T-48, as we will 2 Gold + 2 GM.
Yep, and on a particularly light DEN-SFO I once saw a res of 3x gold and 3x GM all clear into RN via CPU at T-48 exactly. Good luck! (Of course, as per usual, if you haven't cleared by the time you decide to check in, the res will be split in the usual fashion.)
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I would highly recommend splitting off a GM and Gold right away. It was super rare for Gold/Silver CPU, let alone companion CPUs.

Don't expect it as a common occurence.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
I would highly recommend splitting off a GM and Gold right away. It was super rare for Gold/Silver CPU, let alone companion CPUs.

Don't expect it as a common occurence.
Not sure exactly what the advice is here. If it's "split 1 res of 2 gold + 2 GM into 2 res of 1 gold + 1 GM", I agree entirely: you preserve E+/bags/SDC, and you only need CPU space for 2, not 4, to get some UG cleared.

If the advice is "split the Golds off from the GMs altogether", I disagree, since (1) if the flight is so empty that Golds clear prior to the gate, I'd suggest Golds can also probably clear with a companion, and (2) there are SDC/bag/seating/irrops benefits to keeping GMs on a res with elite travellers, even if marginal.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
My advice was clear: split off a gold and GM. So two pnrs each with a gold and GM.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:59 pm

On the return trip. I got the upgrade confirmation email at T-31, again without the reservation being split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.