Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2017, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
UA CPU Companion policy

One companion traveling on a paid ticket on the same reservation as a Premier member is eligible for Complimentary Premier Upgrades on select flights and may be confirmed with the same priority as the Premier member, even on the day of departure. If the companion is a Premier member, the upgrade will be processed according to the highest Premier status level in the reservation.

If a reservation includes three or more travelers, and only one is not a Premier member, the Complimentary Premier Upgrades will be processed according to the lowest Premier status level in the reservation. If two or more travelers on the reservation are not Premier members, it will not be processed automatically. In these cases, Premier members should call the Premier Priority Desk to request a separate reservation for themselves and the eligible companion.
When on a common PNR, the elite & companion will be waitlisted at the start of the elite's time window. The elite and companion will be prioritized based on the (higher) elite's status and their common fare class. They will clear together or neither will clear. At check-in, it will be asked if you wish to be placed on the CPU / Gate Upgrade Waitlist, if answered Yes, then the PNR will be split and each will be placed on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist with the elite's status and their common fare class (and ordered by the lowest eticket number). At this point either 1 or both or none may clear the waitlist. If the check-in question is answered No, the PNR will not be split and neither will be on the Gate Upgrade Waitlist.

Companions on separate PNR are not explicitly discussed but some GAs will add them at the Gate.

While elites may be eligible (with the right credit card) for award upgrades, companions are explicitly excluded.

Related threads
Questions About Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPU) on UA

Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively

To split or not to split PNR

Archive of earlier posts: Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions [ARCHIVE]
Print Wikipost

Comprehensive Companion CPU Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:54 am

Curious

On family trip my Dad has been a long time 1k. I was for a little while but no longer am, so I am familiar with the policy.

He booked tickets for himself and 3 family members and all four were upgraded, he is the only one with 1k status and they clear 96 hours before. Curious if there has been a change to policy or what happens now? The original flight looked to be the same (they were together on upgrade lost) but it was full
Old Aug 20, 2023, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by derric
On family trip my Dad has been a long time 1k. I was for a little while but no longer am, so I am familiar with the policy.

He booked tickets for himself and 3 family members and all four were upgraded, he is the only one with 1k status and they clear 96 hours before. Curious if there has been a change to policy or what happens now? The original flight looked to be the same (they were together on upgrade lost) but it was full
A four-person itinerary with only one Premier member is not eligible for CPU. Perhaps he used PlusPoints?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 5:56 pm

Nope no plus points

Originally Posted by jsloan
A four-person itinerary with only one Premier member is not eligible for CPU. Perhaps he used PlusPoints?
didn’t use plus points

Originally Posted by jsloan
nm you are correct PP were used, I assumed not since it is a useless flight for them…

I don’t know how to delete my previous responses?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 20, 2023 at 7:20 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Aug 20, 2023, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by derric
nm you are correct PP were used, I assumed not since it is a useless flight for them…

I don’t know how to delete my previous responses?
You can use the button on each post that’s a red triangle with an exclamation point in it to alert a moderator to any post. Just say “please delete” and they’ll take care of it the next time they’re online.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Did things change? I thought that at T-24, if you checked in and elected to stay on the upgrade list, your companion was dropped. I just checked my wife in (1K) with her Mom and it offered to keep both on the upgrade list (notifying that the res might split if one gets upgraded). I swear I've never seen this screen!
Old Oct 19, 2023, 2:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by doug_999
Did things change? I thought that at T-24, if you checked in and elected to stay on the upgrade list, your companion was dropped. I just checked my wife in (1K) with her Mom and it offered to keep both on the upgrade list (notifying that the res might split if one gets upgraded). I swear I've never seen this screen!
Been the process for at least a year
Old Oct 20, 2023, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
My DP. I am UA Plat. I had a flight from BOS-ORD late last year with my 2 minor kids with no status. These were in paid Y in economy plus all in 1 row on 1 PNR. Was not even thinking about being upgraded. As we boarded, my seat changed to a seat in F and so did my daughter's. I let my son take my upgrade. F went out full. They both enjoyed it. Was this not supposed to happen? Fluke? Just curious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.