FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Where to Sit on a United 737-800? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1405225-where-sit-united-737-800-a.html)

OrlandoFlyer Nov 8, 2012 4:14 am

Where to Sit on a United 737-800?

I flew on a new 737-800 a couple of days ago and there was no Economy Plus seating on it. Is UA going to put Economy Plus seating on new planes or are they starting to get rid of it on new planes? I just checked a flight I have next week and the again the seat map shows no Economy Plus seats either.

This is not a change I like, and it certainly is not "spectacular".

Duhey2 Nov 8, 2012 6:19 am

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer (Post 19646273)
I flew on a new 737-800 a couple of days ago and there was no Economy Plus seating on it. Is UA going to put Economy Plus seating on new planes or are they starting to get rid of it on new planes? I just checked a flight I have next week and the again the seat map shows no Economy Plus seats either.

That's how they're delivered. E+ gets done when LiveTV is installed.

aacharya Nov 8, 2012 6:27 am

Can we stop using "a change we like" when we don't even know the answer or the policy?

UA previously announced here and in major press releases they were keeping E+.

OrlandoFlyer Nov 8, 2012 6:44 am

Originally Posted by Duhey2 (Post 19646603)
That's how they're delivered. E+ gets done when LiveTV is installed.

Interestingly enough LiveTV had been installed on this new plane.

golfingboy Nov 8, 2012 6:49 am

When ordering planes, airlines usually have to firm up their decision on configuration, customizations, and some other stuff about a year or more out before the plane is actually delivered. This is largely a supply chain limitation [suppliers have their backlogs for seat orders, specific equipment/tools, etc.], so UA cannot unilaterally change their preferences in the middle of the process.

All planes being delivered this point and on will have Economy Plus [as well as the last handful 739s], it is those that were delivered earlier this year that were delivered without E+. UA is working on 1-2 739 per month adding DTV and E+.

This is a good website to see where the sCO fleet stands in terms of reconfiguration progress:

http://www.aquawise.com/PMCOaircraft.html

AAerSTL Nov 8, 2012 6:59 am

Why do people feel entitled to Economy Plus? It's like CPUs, UA does not guarantee this benefit it is subject to availability. Why do people feel entitled to compensation when they are seated in "E-", a standard economy seat like they purchased. Years ago CO had a no middle seat guarantee for Plats and offered 2500 miles or so for ending up in a middle. NW at one time had a similar policy of giving Plats miles when they were not upgraded. I don't think UA did anything wrong, the OP got the economy seat they purchased.

And I'd gladly give up this EconomyPlus and Channel 9 nonsense to have a clean, modern, new 738 with Sky Interior operated by sCO crews than a grimy sUA aircraft.

channa Nov 8, 2012 7:09 am

I flew on a new 737-800 a couple of days ago and there was no Economy Plus seating on it.

How are you assessing it was a new 737?

If by chance you're using the Sky Interior as a gauge, that's been around for two (2) years now, and was in place before CO decided to keep E+: http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/p...erior/136608/1

But no E+ would certainly be "game changing.

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 19646766)
Why do people feel entitled to Economy Plus? It's like CPUs, UA does not guarantee this benefit it is subject to availability. Why do people feel entitled to compensation when they are seated in "E-", a standard economy seat like they purchased. Years ago CO had a no middle seat guarantee for Plats and offered 2500 miles or so for ending up in a middle. NW at one time had a similar policy of giving Plats miles when they were not upgraded. I don't think UA did anything wrong, the OP got the economy seat they purchased.

Because it was a guaranteed amenity that was consistently delivered before the merger. Those accustomed to this amenity have to strategically book in order to get it now, and even then it's not guaranteed.

And I'd gladly give up this EconomyPlus and Channel 9 nonsense to have a clean, modern, new 738 with Sky Interior operated by sCO crews than a grimy sUA aircraft.

I would rather have legroom than mood lighting, myself. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

AAerSTL Nov 8, 2012 7:18 am

Actually no, before the merger not all aircraft had Economy Plus. UAX E45s did not have Economy Plus, nor did CRJ 200s although of late it seems 1A and exit row are marketed as economy plus.

lhrsfo Nov 8, 2012 7:19 am

People feel entitled to E+ because it is a major benefit of UA, has been for years and is heavily promoted as such. As with all things, it is capacity-constrained and everyone realises that, but it is as close to being an entitlement as it comes and is on a similar level of entitlement as earning miles for flying.

As to the concept of giving up E+ in exchange for a 738 with Sky Interior and sCO crews, I've never read anything so ridiculous. First off, 738s don't have the range to fly much of the route network, so we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Secondly, we would be waiting for an awfully long time for our flights as they don't have many of that type of plane - and will never do so. Thirdly, I, and many others would rather have the greater space that an Airbus offers. And fourthly, sCO crews are as hit and miss as sUA crews.

I should add that I'm not a UA apologist or a CO hater. I've been very impressed with the speed which new UA have been adding E+ to the fleet - but I do my utmost to avoid flying in an aircraft without it - and have so far succeeded.

channa Nov 8, 2012 7:22 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 19646845)
Actually no, before the merger not all aircraft had Economy Plus. UAX E45s did not have Economy Plus, nor did CRJ 200s although of late it seems 1A and exit row are marketed as economy plus.

Before the merger, all UA mainline aircraft had E+. And all 2-cabin RJs had E+.

It was not like this hit-or-miss thing we have today, where you can book a lengthy mainline route like SFO-BOS and then have a day-of-departure aircraft swap to an aircraft with no E+. Certainly you can understand why someone who was provided E+ consistently could be disappointed when that happens.

As for marketing 1A and Exit Row as E+, that came from CO. That was their Extra Leg Room (ELR) program before E+.

OrlandoFlyer Nov 8, 2012 7:28 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 19646810)
How are you assessing it was a new 737?

1. The crew told me.
2. It had the new overhead blue lightening, overhead luggage bins, and slim line uncomfortable seats.
3. The trim and metal work around the front door looked new.
4. Overall it looked new.

AAerSTL Nov 8, 2012 7:29 am

Originally Posted by channa (Post 19646867)
Before the merger, all UA mainline aircraft had E+. And all 2-cabin RJs had E+.

Fair enough.

It was not like this hit-or-miss thing we have today, where you can book a lengthy mainline route like SFO-BOS and then have a day-of-departure aircraft swap to an aircraft with no E+. Certainly you can understand why someone who was provided E+ consistently could be disappointed when that happens.

I can understand why some may find it disappointing, but again it is provided subject to availability. Before the merger a 1K or UGS could book a Y seat but not get availability because all the E+ seats had been selected by other elites & their companions or sold to others.

The UA website clearly states the following under the terms and conditions for Economy Plus:

• An Economy Plus purchase reserves a seat within the Economy Plus seating area. Specific seat assignments are not guaranteed.
• Any customer-requested changes to any portion of an itinerary will result in loss of Economy Plus seats for the modified segments.
• Economy Plus purchases are automatically refunded after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation, change to a different flight or when travel is not completed in Economy Plus seating. In all other cases, Economy Plus purchases are nonrefundable.
• Economy Plus may be repurchased, if available, for the revised portions of the itinerary.
• An Economy Plus purchase is processed based on seat availability at time of purchase.
• Valid for travel on United and United Express® only. Star Alliance® or marketed codeshare flights do not provide Economy Plus seating.
Offer subject to change without notice.
I'm not saying people can't or shouldn't be disappointed, but UA doesn't and shouldn't owe you anything beyond a refund if E+ was purchased due to an aircraft swap. I've gone from a confirmed F upgrade on AA 763 BOS-LAX to a non-exit row Y seat (almost got stuck in a middle seat no less) due to a 757 swap a few years back. It happens, the CofC does not guarantee a specific seat or aircraft. LH doesn't guarantee new F on their flight nor does BA even in NYC, NRT, etc and the markets they prioritize for NF.

As for marketing 1A and Exit Row as E+, that came from CO. That was their Extra Leg Room (ELR) program before E+.

Also true.

MacDanny Nov 8, 2012 7:35 am

One Question: How tall are you? I am 6'6". My guess is people who are 6'3"+ care more about economy plus than new 738's.

channa Nov 8, 2012 7:36 am

Originally Posted by AAerSTL (Post 19646909)
Before the merger a 1K or UGS could book a Y seat but not get availability because all the E+ seats had been selected by other elites & their companions or sold to others.

This is true, but someone who really wanted E+ may book a different flight or route if this were the case. UA couldn't change a 757 E+ to a 757 no E+ and have those members lose their E+. Aircraft downgrades could happen, but an entire E+ losing E+ couldn't have happened pre-merger like it can today with some of the CO planes.

What's more, in the circumstances where UA would downgrade an aircraft (e.g. 320 to 319) and some E+ customers were displaced, or a customer eligible for E+ who couldn't get it like you described in your scenario, UA had technology to help mitigate that. The seat request list was in the system and prioritized by status, so they would receive priority for E+ should an E+ seat become available. CO/new UA no longer has such an electronic list, so your fate is subject to the GA's willingness to accommodate by stacking up paper BPs on the counter.