Related thread: Consolidated Where to Sit on a United Plane Threads

Print Wikipost

Where to Sit on a United 737-800?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM Plat, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
5'7"
Hopefully United will deliver newer equipment and E+ so we all can be happy.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:33 am

Programs: United, Turkish
Why do people feel entitled to Economy Plus? It's like CPUs, UA does not guarantee this benefit it is subject to availability. Why do people feel entitled to compensation when they are seated in "E-", a standard economy seat like they purchased. Years ago CO had a no middle seat guarantee for Plats and offered 2500 miles or so for ending up in a middle. NW at one time had a similar policy of giving Plats miles when they were not upgraded. I don't think UA did anything wrong, the OP got the economy seat they purchased..
No, as other posters have pointed out. I would only add that you are using "availability" in two totally different contexts. Stores that advertise product "subject to availability" are routinely required to stock a minimum number to avoid charges of consumer fraud. (that is "quantity availability)" In other cases they have to make sure to provide the type of product offered aka"absolute availability" So a strong argument can be made that United Consumers are routinely ENTITLED to aircraft on which they can compete for the limited number of E+ seats that are provided. United can of course in LARGE PRINT at the time of booking(when a customer has a choice) point out that a route has no economy plus seating. FWIW I have beenraising this issue in the TATL thread. I would certainly never book a 9 hour flight on United in a non E+ seat.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:50 am

The thing that I find hardest to understand about these relatively new 738s and 739s with no E+ and/or audio or video systems is not that they exist in the merged fleet and may take some time to convert. No, the really mystifying aspect is that the equipment allocation policies of the new UA obviously take no account of these low amenity aircraft, and (at least as of a couple of months ago when I last experienced one) appear routinely to operate them on transcon and other relatively long domestic flights where their inadequacies will most impair passenger comfort levels, and contrast unfavorably with the equipment used by competitors.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
And I'd gladly give up this EconomyPlus and Channel 9 nonsense to have a clean, modern, new 738 with Sky Interior operated by sCO crews than a grimy sUA aircraft.
Not me. I'd quit flying UA altogether and go to an airline which offered an E+-like product (like DL is adding). I simply cannot go more than an hour or so in an E- seat, not if I want to be able to walk the next day.

FWIW, I have had more issues with sCO crews than sUA ones; I'd actually prefer sUA crews. (I will say the two sCO crews I had Monday were the best sCO crews I've ever had and were quite good overall... but that comes after a bunch of "proud CO" announcements and apathetic service on previous flights this fall.)

The other issue for me is that sCO seats, E+ or F or otherwise, seem to me significantly less comfortable than sUA ones. Fancy interiors with uncomfortable seats doesn't do much for me, either.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
I'd much rather have E+ than new shiny aircraft any day (I'm 6'4"). No contest there.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:18 pm

Well, I feel entitled to it since I MR to get to Gold status specifically for the ability to get E+ at booking. Also, a more comfortable seat with more legroom over an older, dirtier plane? I will take E+ any day of the week and twice on Sunday...and I really like Ch 9 also. I am irate when they don't turn it on, especially domestically....it eases my irrational turbulence related anxiety.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well, I feel entitled to it since I MR to get to Gold status specifically for the ability to get E+ at booking. Also, a more comfortable seat with more legroom over an older, dirtier plane? I will take E+ any day of the week and twice on Sunday...and I really like Ch 9 also. I am irate when they don't turn it on, especially domestically....it eases my irrational turbulence related anxiety.
I don't think the CofC guarantees channel 9 or other inflight amenities either. What did PM-UA give $100 e-cert for 1 hour flight with no channel 9?
Old Nov 8, 2012, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I don't think the CofC guarantees channel 9 or other inflight amenities either. What did PM-UA give $100 e-cert for 1 hour flight with no channel 9?
No, but they played it all the time. Pilots now are choosing more and more to not turn it on as a protest. But only passengers suffer.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 2:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
5'7"
Well, that explains a lot. Munchkins don't care about extra legroom. The less vertically challenged among us choose UA specifically for E+. If they are unable to continue making it available, there is no need to continue to book the "new" and unimproved UA.

I have been playing "flight roulette," trying to book all my flights without any sCO planes or crews. It is getting harder all the time to find routes with all sUA equipment, even though I am ok with adding odd connections when necessary. Flying UA stopped being any kind of fun back in March.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 3:07 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
status of E+ conversions is documented as a little research shows

We're bringing you more Economy Plus.
737-800 (122 planes) 74% done (dated Sept 26, 2012)

The United Airlines Fleet Website shows more detail

91 738's have been converted
The four Sky Interior planes have not yet been converted but do have Direct TV, These were delivered in 2010 & 2011.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As to the concept of giving up E+ in exchange for a 738 with Sky Interior and sCO crews, I've never read anything so ridiculous. First off, 738s don't have the range to fly much of the route network, so we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Secondly, we would be waiting for an awfully long time for our flights as they don't have many of that type of plane - and will never do so. Thirdly, I, and many others would rather have the greater space that an Airbus offers. And fourthly, sCO crews are as hit and miss as sUA crews.
+1

Thanks for writing this so I wouldn't have to -- couldn't agree any stronger.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
status of E+ conversions is documented as a little research shows

We're bringing you more Economy Plus.
737-800 (122 planes) 74% done (dated Sept 26, 2012)

The United Airlines Fleet Website shows more detail

91 738's have been converted
The four Sky Interior planes have not yet been converted but do have Direct TV, These were delivered in 2010 & 2011.
Whoa, facts! Took us more than two dozen posts to get some. Thanks! ^
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Why do people feel entitled to Economy Plus? It's like CPUs, UA does not guarantee this benefit it is subject to availability. Why do people feel entitled to compensation when they are seated in "E-", a standard economy seat like they purchased. Years ago CO had a no middle seat guarantee for Plats and offered 2500 miles or so for ending up in a middle. NW at one time had a similar policy of giving Plats miles when they were not upgraded. I don't think UA did anything wrong, the OP got the economy seat they purchased.

And I'd gladly give up this EconomyPlus and Channel 9 nonsense to have a clean, modern, new 738 with Sky Interior operated by sCO crews than a grimy sUA aircraft.
No, you've got it wrong entirely. Any sUA flier accustomed to E+ for many years has an unmet expectation of a decent amount of legroom that is missing on AA, CO and DL aircraft, although they are all adding it to be competitive with UA. I left UA because COdbaUA attitudes like this pervade the new merged airline.

E+ defines United Airlines and many of us fought hard to keep it when Continental Management dithered back and forth before caving to the pressure we put on them to keep it or else. I stayed loyal after 3/3, but continued erosion of other benefits, and a particular tendency towards 1K alienation led me finally to the dAArkside. It ain't perfect, but my loyalty is appreciated and I'm being treated like a top tier and not a second tier flier.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
People feel entitled to E+ because it is a major benefit of UA, has been for years and is heavily promoted as such. As with all things, it is capacity-constrained and everyone realises that, but it is as close to being an entitlement as it comes and is on a similar level of entitlement as earning miles for flying.

As to the concept of giving up E+ in exchange for a 738 with Sky Interior and sCO crews, I've never read anything so ridiculous. First off, 738s don't have the range to fly much of the route network, so we wouldn't get anywhere fast. Secondly, we would be waiting for an awfully long time for our flights as they don't have many of that type of plane - and will never do so. Thirdly, I, and many others would rather have the greater space that an Airbus offers. And fourthly, sCO crews are as hit and miss as sUA crews
You are entitled to your own opinion as am I. I never suggested having a 738 replace the entire United fleet, different aircraft are better equipped for different markets both in capacity, range, configuration and other criteria. Fact is though the 738 can operate almost any mission in the lower 48 states, Canada and Mexico that UA operates. Again, I realize it can not operate all route UA operates-you wouldn't see on fly to NRT or TLV.

Feel entitled all you want but the fact is it isn't an entitlement. UA can change the benefits at whim and MP members have no recourse. I really wonder if all the E+ proponents here had to pay for each segment how interested and willing to pay they would be.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 8:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When I fly, I want more legroom, not a light show.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.