Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

i have some flights booked on pss.united.com with United Flight numbers operated by Lufthansa. However the website won't let me pick seats for these flights. How can i get a seat?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Use your UA ticket number (starting in 016) to look up the booking on the Lufthansa website. If that doesn't work try calling Lufthansa.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I don't think LH can recognize UA's PNR; there should be a seperate LH PNR which you can get as stated above or calling LH and giving them your flight information. With that information you can go on LH's website and do your seat selection.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
I don't think LH can recognize UA's PNR; there should be a seperate LH PNR which you can get as stated above or calling LH and giving them your flight information. With that information you can go on LH's website and do your seat selection.
Not the PNR - the ticket number. I've had good success with that in the past, specifically on LH.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Gold, Kenn Borek Lifetime, PC-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, Hooters: 79
As mentioned by star_world, try going to the LH website but see if you can manage your reservation using your record locator rather than the ticket number. Both suggestions to call would likely get you the best results. Casually mention your *A status... never hurts.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: UA former 1K MM
I can no longer find the LH booking code on the new pss.united.com web site. Is it still there somewhere?

I can't find a place on lufthansa.com to enter a ticket number, only the LH booking code.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:00 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by redburgundy
I can no longer find the LH booking code on the new pss.united.com web site. Is it still there somewhere?

I can't find a place on lufthansa.com to enter a ticket number, only the LH booking code.
me either
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:05 am
Suspended

Interesting - that functionality was there a few weeks ago. Just checked now and don't see it. I guess calling is the only practical option then until they start adding the partner PNRs to the reservation details page.
Old Mar 8, 2012, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by redburgundy

I just checked in for my LH codeshare flight using the ticket number by using the LH iPhone app. It's a good workaround if you have an iDevice and don't want to call for a PNR.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 4:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

just called and got the record locator or whatever Lufthansa calls it and got a seat. they would not issue a seat for flights within Europe they said only at check in.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: UA 1P, TK Elite Plus, AZ Freccia Alata Plus
Originally Posted by mike_asia
just called and got the record locator or whatever Lufthansa calls it and got a seat. they would not issue a seat for flights within Europe they said only at check in.
You can reserve your seat on LH if you're flying Business Class in Europe. If you're flying in Economy, you can select your seat at check-in.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arndt
You can reserve your seat on LH if you're flying Business Class in Europe. If you're flying in Economy, you can select your seat at check-in.
thanks i will talk to my assistant about this, it is disturbing.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Nothing disturbing about it. It's standard practice for most intra-Europe flights on *A carriers. I've never been able to select a coach LH, LX, or OS seat on an intra-Europe itinerary.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Is it disturbing Southwest doesn't assign seats??
Old Mar 12, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
Lh upgraded there system as well

You use to be able to look up your reservation by tkt number. Now they only time you can use this function is during check in. So so you either have to call UA MP or LH. It odd how they make sure that they do not post it the e-reciept as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.