Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:09 pm

When I booked on LH from the UA site last year I had to call to get seat assignments. I don’t specifically remember what the issue was, but certainly if I had been able to do it from the LH website I would have.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rmadisonwi
When I booked on LH from the UA site last year I had to call to get seat assignments. I don’t specifically remember what the issue was, but certainly if I had been able to do it from the LH website I would have.
with a native LH flight number? That would be very surprising!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:30 am

Just tried again, using LH PNR, able to pull up resevration, gives a choice for seat selection, shows seat map but not able to select any seat, then page automatically changes to seat selection can not be done for this flight. And yes, my mistake, it is 747. I guess will have to call, any certain seat i should ask for ?
Thanks all.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ziqch
And yes, my mistake, it is 747. I guess will have to call, any certain seat i should ask for ?
Thanks all.
Window seat upper deck
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just booked a economy award for YVR-YEG-YYZ on United site.

United site acts as if I can select seats on Air Canada metals, but the selections do not stick. Is it calling AC the only way?

Current hold time is 20min...
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Happy
Just booked a economy award for YVR-YEG-YYZ on United site.

United site acts as if I can select seats on Air Canada metals, but the selections do not stick. Is it calling AC the only way?

Current hold time is 20min...
I’ve had good results by contacting AC via their Twitter team
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:58 am

I'm MileagePlus Gold member.
I booked with United.com the following:
1. Direct flight with Air Canada to Montreal
2. Flight with Austrian: JFK - VIE
3. Flight with Austrian from Vienna

I called AC and asked them if I can get an emergency row for free as a Star Alliance Gold and got it immediately

Before I thought on that, I entered the Austrian website with my Austrian PNR and tried to select the emergency row for the 2 flights.
I got a message:
While processing your preferred seat reservation or checked baggage selection an error occured. Please contact our Guest Service Team at +43 (0) 5 1766 3100. Your payment has been reversed due to a technical problem with the request
I wasn't charge for that and didn't got any email, but on Austrian and United websites I'm seeing the seats that I select.

I'm going to call Austrian soon to find out exactly what happened, but what is their policy? it's a codeshare (I'm in UA flight number) operated by Austrian - should I get those seats for free?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:38 pm

Air India seat selection on United award ticket

I have a United award ticket with Air India from BOM - LHR and UA from LHR - EWR. I was able to select the seat for UA portion. How do I select the seat for AI leg?
Sorry if this has been answered before. I was not able to find a related post.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by kunalmahajan478
How do I select the seat for AI leg?
You either need to call AI, or find the AI PNR (you should see this on your itinerary page on united.com) and use that on AI's site.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:42 pm

Has anyone had success with advance seat selection on Asiana (I)? I have the PNR for Asiana but their website won't let me access (telling me "login to access mileage bookings") but I don't have a login.

Last edited by wbatl1; Nov 8, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 8, 2019, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Has anyone had success with advance seat selection on Asiana (ON)? I have the PNR for Asiana but their website won't let me access (telling me "login to access mileage bookings") but I don't have a login.
You have an ON fare bucket on Asiana How on earth did you manage that No wonder you cannot select a seat ...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
You have an ON fare bucket on Asiana How on earth did you manage that No wonder you cannot select a seat ...
That was a typo. Fare class is I. My apologies for Friday night confusion.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 9:06 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by wbatl1
Has anyone had success with advance seat selection on Asiana (I)? I have the PNR for Asiana but their website won't let me access (telling me "login to access mileage bookings") but I don't have a login.
Just proceed to register and then you'll have a login ID. I usually book my OZ flights as LifeMiles award tickets, and can select my seats on the OZ site after logging in. The site can be finicky. IIRC, a few years ago I had to use the OZ app to assign seats on one trip.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Was able to assign seats on an SQ award booking I did for family yesterday (CCU-SIN-HKG) directly on United's website - made it very easy. Also get A359 as one of the birds on this trip...very nice ^
jonisflying likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:51 pm

I booked a United economy award ticket using Brussels Airlines IAD-BRU today. I could not select a seat online so I called in 800 401 1801. The Brussels (SN) agent told me I could not buy an upgrade to Economy Privilege. I could pay €20 for seat selection in standard economy, €45 for a forward aisle seat in standard economy, or €75 for exit row extra legroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.