Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrz518
Hi:

Looking at a Turkish/Lufthansa combo, and the mileage price is definitely right. However, UAL website doesn't allow seat assignments on either partner. Are there any workarounds? Coach ticket.

Thanks

RRZ
Look up the reservation on ua's site, then look for 'additional confirmation numbers' or the like with a mouse-over tooltip that displays the PNRs.

At least, that's how it used to work. Not sure if that got lunched by the site redesign. I don't have any reservations with partner segments that I can check.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Thanks - does that trick enable seat assignment on the UAL site? Or would I use the partners site to confirm the seat? (or call either?)
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks - does that trick enable seat assignment on the UAL site? Or would I use the partners site to confirm the seat? (or call either?)
Partner site to assign seats; calling also works.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Thanks - does that trick enable seat assignment on the UAL site?...
No, it just gives you the confirmation numbers needed to get seat assignments from the other operators.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
A few notes:

1. This has zero to do with UA's website, buggy or not. Let's not get emotions in the way of facts.
2. If in Y, Lufthansa only allows free seat selection at check-in if a UA codeshare or booked elsewhere. Since this is an award and native flight numbers they may allow it.
3. Turkish only allows seat selection within 100 days of the flight.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:42 pm

Can I pre-assign seats (flying business) on Avianca or Copa for an award ticket booked through UA? Ideally without calling?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Once booked the reservation page on UA's website should show a partner PNR / confirmation code near the top (something like 'view other confirmation numbers'). With that you should be able to use TK's website to select seats. However TK's website sporadically does not work properly, so it may be easier to call.
I booked an UA award, partner is TG. UA's website shows partner PNR code, i got it, went on TG's website, got my seat for one leg, not the other.

Flash forward 3 months later (about to fly next week), i cannot find that partner PNR code anywhere on UA's website?! any idea where I can locate (besides calling), or what happened?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:10 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
I booked an UA award, partner is TG. UA's website shows partner PNR code, i got it, went on TG's website, got my seat for one leg, not the other.

Flash forward 3 months later (about to fly next week), i cannot find that partner PNR code anywhere on UA's website?! any idea where I can locate (besides calling), or what happened?
Dis[play the upcoming trip and select the Print trip option underneath the last flight listed. The resulting display should contain the link to show the partner confirmation number under the UA confirmation number.
SuperKirby likes this.

Last edited by cheltzel; Jan 4, 2019 at 11:00 am
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Dis[play the upcoming trip and select the [i]Print trip option underneath the last flight listed. The resulting display should contain the link to show the partner confirmation number under the UA confirmation number.
Thanks so much!
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K (Million Miler). AA Gold (lifetime 1 Million). TK Elite Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby

Maybe not related to your TG seat selection, TG doesn't assign seats on DOMESTIC segments until 24 hours prior to departure. On a recent UA award itinerary including TG international and domestic segments, I was able to have TG provide advance seating selection on the international but not on the domestic segments.
SuperKirby likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by cagcag
Maybe not related to your TG seat selection, TG doesn't assign seats on DOMESTIC segments until 24 hours prior to departure. On a recent UA award itinerary including TG international and domestic segments, I was able to have TG provide advance seating selection on the international but not on the domestic segments.
Actually that helps out! I was wondering why I could only select seats on TG from PEK to BKK, but not BKK to HKT! Thanks!!!
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:09 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Just confirming no issues with advance seat assignment for LX in Business Class (I) Award Tickets.

Booked through United for our Swiss trip and was automatically assigned 6D/G (Departing) and 5 A/B (Return) on the A330 from JFK>GVA & ZRH>JFK.

Signing up and using the additional SWISS International Airlines Confirmation number listed on United reservation page I am able to log into the Swiss site and change my seat if desired. Seems any change will need to be done via customer service. Planing to change my return seats to 6 D/G. ^

NOTE: Initially I was getting errors trying to log into the Swiss site...my mistake I was NOT entering my first/middle name combo as listed on the United reservation. Once I figured that out all is well! ^

UPDATE: Called Swiss to change the return seats to 6 D/G and was told, "Not Possible/Infant Location" so I said OK, and left it alone. Decided to call back about 30-min later and got a much more clear and fluent woman who said "No Problem" and made the change which was reflected immediately on my only Swiss account. Moral of the story, when in doubt hang up and try again.

Last edited by Tony300S; Feb 28, 2019 at 12:26 pm Reason: Seat Assignment Update/Change Success
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:51 pm

United Business award on LH, not able to select seat.

I just booked an award flight from FRA-IND with FRA-IAD leg on LH in Business class. United website did not let me make seat selection for first leg. I used LH PNR on LH site and even that does not select seat, Flight in on June 25th, too early to pick seat or do I have to call?
Also flight from FRA-IAD will be on 787-9, any suggestions as to which seat will be a good choice if I am able to select seat at some point, I am by myself.
Thanks
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LH is flying 787s? On 6/25 I see LH is flying a 747 and an A330 on FRA-IAD.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
You can absolutely select seats on Lufthansa.com. What is not working when you try to select a seat?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.