Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
...i thought you could still get an LH seat assignment on UA stock, so long as the LH-operated segments are booked on LH flight numbers vs. UA codeshares. Or has this changed again (it’s hard to keep track).
recent discussions
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
Old Apr 14, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by GoBlue5
I will be booking an upcoming multi city ticket for me and my wife in coach: IAD-MUC operated by LH and return AMS-IAD operated by UA. Ticket price is slightly more expensive when purchasing from LH. However, the IAD-MUC redeye has available bulkhead seats with extra legroom which I’d like to purchase.

Neither LH nor UA permit me to select seats on the leg operated by the other carrier. Is this issue something that I should be able to resolve by calling the operating carrier after booking? If so, does either LH or UA tend to be more helpful than the other in this regard?

FYI, I have to fly a mixed carrier itinerary as only LH departs late enough in the evening from IAD to accommodate our schedules and only UA flies nonstop from AMS. If there’s no easy answer, I’ll likely default to purchasing through LH, as I’m most concerned with the outbound redeye. However, I imagine there has to be an answer.

Thank you you in advance.
Thanks all for your help and suggestions. Just to close the loop on this, I booked through LH and the same PNR worked to access the return flights on UA through UA’s website. I then selected seats for the UA leg.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:58 pm

Mileage Plus Award on Lufthansa -- Seat Assignment

I have a award flight coming up on Lufthansa that I booked on the UAL site using United miles. United indicated that I can't have my seats assigned ahead of time, and that they will be gate assigned by the Lufthansa gate agent. Is there any way that I can get my seats assigned ahead of time? Thanks
Old May 1, 2018, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by kgoodman16
I have a award flight coming up on Lufthansa that I booked on the UAL site using United miles. .... Is there any way that I can get my seats assigned ahead of time? ...
Go to the LH website, Select Book & Manage, Seat Reservation. Use the UA PNR. Select you seat assignment.

In general, you have to go to the flight operator website to select seat assignments. Some airlines make change a seat selection fee for some fares (such as discount fares). LH does not charge a seat selection fee for award tickets.
Old May 2, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM, Marriott LT Plat
You'll need your LH confirmation number which is distinct from your UA confirmation number. Click on the link just below your UA confirmation number in the "View Current Reservation" page. See screen grab below.

I was able to get in to the LH site, and chose seats. But it seemed that I could not change seats after that initial selection. My travel companion was seated elsewhere (she's paid Business class, I'm on MP award in Business). A phone call to LH agent got us seated next to each other with no issues.

Last edited by jtet; May 2, 2018 at 2:16 pm
Old May 2, 2018, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by jtet
You'll need your LH confirmation number which is distinct from your UA confirmation number. ....
You have not needed the LH confirmation PNR for nearly a year, The UA confirmation PNR works fine on the LH site ( and other LH group carriers)
Old May 2, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by jtet
You'll need your LH confirmation number which is distinct from your UA confirmation number. Click on the link just below your UA confirmation number in the "View Current Reservation" page. See screen grab below.

I was able to get in to the LH site, and chose seats. But it seemed that I could not change seats after that initial selection. My travel companion was seated elsewhere (she's paid Business class, I'm on MP award in Business). A phone call to LH agent got us seated next to each other with no issues.

Are you waitlisted for IN on your SFO-SEA leg? Your screen grab doesn’t show it. Recommend you call United and waitlist for it, since you’re on a Business award ticket.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kgoodman16
I have a award flight coming up on Lufthansa that I booked on the UAL site using United miles. United indicated that I can't have my seats assigned ahead of time, and that they will be gate assigned by the Lufthansa gate agent. Is there any way that I can get my seats assigned ahead of time? Thanks
Others already have explained the process to you ... if you search "LH seat reservation" or similar ... you find this comprehensive thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-alliance.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 2, 2018 at 8:34 pm Reason: unfriendly / unwelcoming comments removed
Old May 19, 2018, 2:31 pm

Lufthansa website to picked seat assignments on other carriers on the same Itinerary

Used UAL award miles travel on one long multi-city itinerary with different carriers, UAL, Lufthansa, Turkish, Asiana, and Ethiopian airlines.
Went to Lufthansa website with the UAL supplied PRN, found the whole multi-city itinerary, it let me choose the seats on all the carriers expect UAL.
I was impressed and thankful.
Old May 20, 2018, 12:15 am

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Ditto - for once, easy!
Booked Biz award itinerary with mixedUA and LH metal, was able to use UA PNR on LH site to select seats on LH operated legs. Did need to enter last name as it appears on UA PNR (i.e., including appended "JR") to call up the rez on LH.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 8:08 am

Seat Selection on Turkish Airlines Award Ticket

Hi All! First time poster with a simple question I think. I am booking two award tickets using United miles on TK in business class JFK to IST. I obviously cannot select seats when booking, but does anybody know when and how I will be able to select seats? I would like to sit next to my partner, and avoid the middle seat! Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by justinshy
Hi All! First time poster with a simple question I think. I am booking two award tickets using United miles on TK in business class JFK to IST. I obviously cannot select seats when booking, but does anybody know when and how I will be able to select seats? I would like to sit next to my partner, and avoid the middle seat! Thanks for the help!
Should be able to select seats by contacting TK after the reservation tickets. UA can't select partner seats (with a few limited exceptions).
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once booked the reservation page on UA's website should show a partner PNR / confirmation code near the top (something like 'view other confirmation numbers'). With that you should be able to use TK's website to select seats. However TK's website sporadically does not work properly, so it may be easier to call.

And welcome to flyertalk!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by fumje
Once booked the reservation page on UA's website should show a partner PNR / confirmation code near the top (something like 'view other confirmation numbers'). With that you should be able to use TK's website to select seats. However TK's website sporadically does not work properly, so it may be easier to call.

And welcome to flyertalk!
The TK website gets incrementally better (very slowly over time). I would look at the discussion on the following thread on the TK forum on seat assignment. Just to give you a feel of what it is like flying on TK.

The short answer is that you should be able to get the seats assigned by calling. But you may have to hang up and call again (HUCA) a couple of times.

Loop hole for selecting seats > 100 days out for International Flight

Last edited by cheltzel; Jul 13, 2018 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Partner seat assigments on a UAL rewards ticket

Hi:

Looking at a Turkish/Lufthansa combo, and the mileage price is definitely right. However, UAL website doesn't allow seat assignments on either partner. Are there any workarounds? Coach ticket.

Thanks

RRZ

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2018 at 11:43 am Reason: merged into master thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.