Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by italdesign
Neither the UA number nor the partner numbers work on checkmytrip.com. am I supposed to use another number?
Not sure why you care about checkmytrip. All of your PNRs for each airline are available on your reservation on UA.com.
Old May 14, 2013, 9:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SFO777
Not sure why you care about checkmytrip. All of your PNRs for each airline are available on your reservation on UA.com.
My flights for this trip are spread out on 4 airlines and I would like to view seat assignments in one place. However my UA reservation only shows the UA seat assignment and not the partner flights. LongingForORD suggested I could do so on checkmytrip.com.

I can't view my seat assignments on CA and OZ's websites (I've followed instructions for OZ, but it doesn't work for me). I just want to monitor them to make sure they are confirmed after my initial call, and that they don't get reassigned for some reason (I've heard that happening).
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *A Gold, Hilton Silver, Marriott Plat+Amb, AA
Seat Assignment on Aer Lingus -Partner Flight

I have my PNR for the flights but they need an email address prior to the Check In period.

Does UA use a generic email address? Or attempt to use your MP Email address?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: QFF, UA MP
Non-updated NZ5 seat assignment showing on UA booking

I have a UA economy award booking on August 5th flying UA SFO-LAX and then transferring to NZ5/NZ123 to return to Melbourne. I used the seat selection option on NZ website to change my seat on NZ5 but the UA booking is still showing my original seat selection.

My concern is that when I check-in on UA their system will issue the BP for the wrong seat assignment. Am I worrying needlessly?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by danielc
Am I worrying needlessly?
Yup. You're likely going to want to check in with NZ anyways when you get to LAX.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 2:39 pm

This is frequent for bookings on other airlines. The record with the operating carrier will reflect the most current seat assignment.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
if it holds on seat select tool on the NZ website you are good to go. i am dealing with the same thing on one of my bookings. my seats on the NZ90 767 appeared to have fallen off, but a call to NZ indicated they were blocking the seatmap for changes, hopefully this means a transition to lie flat 777 is pending
Old Jul 22, 2013, 4:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like I can tag my bag through at SFO but get the BPs for NZ flights at LAX. Thanks again.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:17 am

Programs: BA Gold, UA Nobody, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Yup. You're likely going to want to check in with NZ anyways when you get to LAX.
I have a UA economy award booking on August 5th flying UA SFO-LAX and then transferring to NZ5/NZ123 to return to Melbourne. I used the seat selection option on NZ website to change my seat on NZ5 but the UA booking is still showing my original seat selection.

My concern is that when I check-in on UA their system will issue the BP for the wrong seat assignment. Am I worrying needlessly?
Thanks for the feedback. So it sounds like I can tag my bag through at SFO but get the BPs for NZ flights at LAX. Thanks again.
Even if UA prints your BPs make sure you get them reprinted at LAX by NZ. For some reason TSA at LAX have come up with a rule (or had at Christmas) that the BPs must be printed by NZ to be valid for getting through security. It wasted at least half an hour queuing up and then being sent back to get "valid" boarding passes.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 11:30 am

Great, thanks for the heads up about the BPs!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:29 pm

Not a FF and need a little advice

Hello, today I was finally able to book my first United Award to Rome. This was my first time booking a United trip in recent times. We leave San Francisco on United, transfer in Chicago and continue to Frankfurt Germany on United. We then board Lufthansa to go to Rome. I have seat assignments for San Francisco to Chicago and Chicago to Frankfurt Germany. I can't get seat assignment for Frankfurt to Rome and I have a 50 minute connection time. Can I call ahead to get seat assignments or do we need to go to the ticket agent once we get there. Any help is appreciated.

I don't worry about my return trip home since we are returning via Lufthansa and I got seat assignments for the second portion and the first portion of the trip I just check in online 24 hours before leaving and select seats.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by skiladyldp
Hello, today I was finally able to book my first United Award to Rome. This was my first time booking a United trip in recent times. We leave San Francisco on United, transfer in Chicago and continue to Frankfurt Germany on United. We then board Lufthansa to go to Rome. I have seat assignments for San Francisco to Chicago and Chicago to Frankfurt Germany. I can't get seat assignment for Frankfurt to Rome and I have a 50 minute connection time. Can I call ahead to get seat assignments or do we need to go to the ticket agent once we get there. Any help is appreciated.

I don't worry about my return trip home since we are returning via Lufthansa and I got seat assignments for the second portion and the first portion of the trip I just check in online 24 hours before leaving and select seats.
No worries. Lufthansa does not provide seat assignments on intra-Europe Economy class flights until check-in. When you check in with United at SFO, you should get boarding passes for all three flights, including the FRA-FCO flight. The United check-in desk at SFO or the Lufthansa transfer desk at FRA should be able to help you if you need to change the seat assignments on the short flight.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Now I am confused why some can't choose seats on inter EU. Just flew WRO-FRA on a separate ticket then FRA-LAX. No issues in choosing seats.....
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:19 pm

How do select seats for Lufthansa and Thai Airlines when part of an award ticket? Ca

How do select seats for Lufthansa and Thai Airlines when part of an award ticket? Can it be done without using a telephone?
Old Oct 24, 2013, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Pull the TG and LH PNRs from the UA reservation - and do whatever the TG and LH boards say works. Not sure how those respective airlines' websites work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.