Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:23 pm

Programs: MileagePlus (Gold)
Choosing seats on partner booking

Hi all,

I'm flying SEA-SFO-ZRH on 9/30. SEA-SFO is of course UA and SFO-ZRH is on Swiss. I can't seem to choose my seats on Swiss as I've been able to do on Lufthansa. I typically copy my "other" confirmation number from my reservation and plug it in along w/ my first & last name on the partner carrier's site. Swiss.com returns an error saying "The status of your reservation does not allow viewing the reservation online (58063)."

Does anyone know if this changes at any point before checkin? I'm kind of a seat picking freak.

Thanks!
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is true for various partners -- such as AC. In some cases calling will work.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Many airlines do not allow online seat selection if a flight is not booked on their website. Air Canada, Asiana are two examples - now you found another. Just call the partner, give them the confirmation and they will assign you seats - which should miraculously show up on your UA reservation when viewed online after the records have a chance to sync.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:32 am
Formally known as reinmedia

Programs: AA EXP | EX UA 1K | Marriot Titanium
I've had this issue a few times and it has always been resolved by calling Swiss reservation line and selecting my seat assignment that way
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Many airlines do not allow online seat selection if a flight is not booked on their website. Air Canada, Asiana are two examples - now you found another. Just call the partner, give them the confirmation and they will assign you seats - which should miraculously show up on your UA reservation when viewed online after the records have a chance to sync.
yes unfortunately that will not work now for AC (while it did for PMUA), IME
Old Sep 16, 2012, 2:50 am
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Many airlines do not allow online seat selection if a flight is not booked on their website. Air Canada, Asiana are two examples - now you found another. . .
Incorrect. You definitely CAN choose your seats online on OZ regardless of where you booked. You may need the ticket # though.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, TK Elite
Originally Posted by burlax
Incorrect. You definitely CAN choose your seats online on OZ regardless of where you booked. You may need the ticket # though.
This used be possible until a few weeks ago, but they don't allow UA ticket # any more IME.

Calling always worked for LX/AC/OZ. Anyway it's a good practice to call the partner to make sure they can see your ticket, as has been said many times here.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by MtRoot
Calling always worked for LX/AC/OZ.
You have to call on TG as well.

Anyway it's a good practice to call the partner to make sure they can see your ticket, as has been said many times here.
^

From my experience you have to call after the initial reservation any time you cannot get the other airline confirmation number from UA.

And you must call if you cannot use the confirmation number on the other airline website.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes unfortunately that will not work now for AC (while it did for PMUA), IME
Really about PMUA. IME, AC doesn't let you select a seat online for any booking not done on Air Canada.com. Been that way for years. Recently, I think that was supposed to change but don't know if it has yet.

Back to the OP though - yes, just call the operating carrier to get seats assigned. I have an upcoming UA itin with NH operating a TPAC segment (UA codeshare) - in this case, NH doesn't even allow me to see info. online with their own confirmation. However, a quick call got us seats.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold
This used be possible until a few weeks ago, but they don't allow UA ticket # any more IME.

Calling always worked for LX/AC/OZ. Anyway it's a good practice to call the partner to make sure they can see your ticket, as has been said many times here.
I booked an award ticket a couple weeks ago on OZ and have no problem selecting my seat on the OZ website using my UA ticket number.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Calling is the only way to select LX seats. LX.com is useless for seat selection.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Really about PMUA. IME, AC doesn't let you select a seat online for any booking not done on Air Canada.com. Been that way for years. Recently, I think that was supposed to change but don't know if it has yet. ....
understand on the AC online limitation but in the past PMUA you could call -- multiple AC agents have told me that is no longer true for the new UA (as it was also not possible for PMCO).
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Really about PMUA. IME, AC doesn't let you select a seat online for any booking not done on Air Canada.com. Been that way for years. Recently, I think that was supposed to change but don't know if it has yet.
AC did an update to their site last month that now allows many non-aircanada.com bookings to update their seats. There have been reports of inconsistency on which source sites are allowed to do this, but it's worth a shot trying now if you had given up in the past because of AC's limitations.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by YEGTigger
AC did an update to their site last month that now allows many non-aircanada.com bookings to update their seats. ...
that's great news! -- hope it works for UA bookings
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AC, VIPorter, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
understand on the AC online limitation but in the past PMUA you could call -- multiple AC agents have told me that is no longer true for the new UA (as it was also not possible for PMCO).
You can definitely call AC to get seats assigned when on a UA ticket -- I just did it yesterday. The seats aren't shown in the original UA reservation but are listed when you view the reservation on AC's website.

On its lowest ("Tango") fares in North America, AC doesn't allow advance seat selection to anyone, regardless of booking channel, without a fee. So perhaps this is why you ran into problems.

Most AC fares between Canada and the US are at the "Tango Plus" level which allow advance seat selection, but some of the more "leisure"-type destinations do have the Tango fares. (Note also that Tango fares in North America earn 0 Mileage Plus miles, so you really want to avoid them).

Warning: I generally find that I have to wait about 30-45 minutes on hold before I get to speak to an AC agent. Very frustrating when all you need is seat selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.