Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 23, 2016, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Star Alliance is working on a system that will allow seat assignments on partner flights, still in limited beta
one example,
Singapore seat selection available on UA.COM

Related thread: Finding the partner flight PNR

AC - Air Canada seat assignments when booked with UA
TG - Thai Airlines seat assignments when booked with UA
LH - No Lufthansa Advance Discount Economy Seat Selection on UA Ticket Stock
Seat Reservations on LH flights when booked through UA [merged]
LH - New LH Policy: No Advance Seat Assignments on Codehsares, Including Paid J
LX - No Swiss advance economy seat selection with United ticket stock
Picking seat for ANA flight when booked thru United

Seat assignments need to (generally) done on the operating carrier's website.
  • You will need the operating carrier's PNR (note for the LH Group, UA's PNR will work)
  • You can get the operating carrier's PNR from your UA reservation, by calling UA or by calling the operating carrier.
  • Additionally, you likely will need passenger's name info -- this can be tricky for some as various parts of the name, middle name, suffix, prefix, .. can be concatenated.
  • Some carriers charge for seat assignments and if the flight is a UA codeshare this may create a problem
  • The seat assignment may not be reflected on the UA reservation
  • If the above does not work, some have has success calling or tweeting the operating carrier
Print Wikipost

Getting seat assignments on partner (Star Alliance) flights with UA tickets?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 6:16 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by gusd
Only if you're flying business.
Technically, it's Y/B/B and higher class cabins intra-europe. At online checkin on LH, *G will have access to front of cabin seating - LH HON have this all along. In my experience, if you check in at the 23hr mark you will have pretty good access to front of cabin Y seating (at least within Europe). I've even checked in a couple of hours late and gotten good seats. No experience of TATL, but I would expect if you do it on the dot it will be pretty easy.

I usually check in for the LH segment 23hrs before it departs on the LH site, and never had any problems.

FWIW, I called UA a couple of weeks ago to ask about the LH pnr on one of my reservations, and they said even they can't see it for now (another thing that is getting fixed). So if you haven't retrieved this rez before on LH and added it to your profile, you may be out of luck right now. It is possible to create a profile on LH.com without a miles&more account, and save upcoming reservations there. Miraculously, my two tatl flights, which I had pulled on my LH.com prior to 3/3, seem to have made it through the merger unscathed (on one of the trips now).

Good luck.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA gold; WN A; PC plat; Marriott Gold
OP: call LH at 1-800-645-3880. ask them to look up your reserv. they will ask you for flight info and your name.

i just called to look up a paid united codeshare on LH metal reservation i booked through our amex corporate travel. shocked to find out that LH does not have me on that flight at all. on hold with united now.
Old May 31, 2012, 12:40 pm

Ah ha. Found it at the top of my reservation page. Hidden in plain text. Click the link in the words, "
This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers."

(No, not in this message)
Old May 31, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
My rule of thumb is to never book partner flights as codeshares. Especially for LH flghts. I tend to book through our corporate travel site and they show me all the record locators.

Good to know that UA will show the other locator numbers.

For LH on intra-EU flights, you can pre-select a seat in economy if you have a Y or B fare.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Booking Lufthansa w/ United award

When looking at seating for paid flight SEA - FRA I saw the following:
Advanced seat assignments are not available on united.com for this flight. Please see an airport agent during check-in to receive your seat assignment.
If that also true for award travel? If so, is there anyway to get seat assignment before check-in. At check-in would probably guarantee a middle seat.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 10, 2012 at 12:41 pm Reason: moved into existing thread; plus thread title did not match topic
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Call LH res and give them the flight details. Remember to get the LH record locator so you can do OLCI.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rkh29
At check-in would probably guarantee a middle seat.
Not necessarily. Maybe cattle class will be oversold and there will be operational upgrades. If that's the case, those "op-up'd" (as it is known in the industry) will probably be elites. Elites typically have nice seat locations...which may be freed up in this instance.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
Not necessarily. Maybe cattle class will be oversold and there will be operational upgrades. If that's the case, those "op-up'd" (as it is known in the industry) will probably be elites. Elites typically have nice seat locations...which may be freed up in this instance.
So the person should not assign seats because of a rare event that an obscure LH route (SEA-FRA) may be oversold, or because of an even rarer event - LH doing an op up?

The original poster is flying Lufthansa not United!
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 am

Programs: United Platinum
Once you have your LH confirmation numbers, you can also change seat assignments at the LH website.

I recently bought 2 LH tickets for myself and booked 2 award trips for my family through United.com. On the paid bookings, I get a "This reservation contains partner flights. View additional confirmation numbers" when I view my current reservation under "Manage Reservations". This is great because it gives you LH's booking code. Unfortunately my award reservations didn't have this bit of info.

A UA customer service agent had a hard time finding my LH conf#. She seemed baffled as to why I wanted it and muttered something about Apollo, which I gather is LH's booking system, not her Pagan religious beliefs.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu

The original poster is flying Lufthansa not United!
Lufthansa doesn't have operational upgrades?

And, I was only referencing the OP's statement that he would probably be stuck in a middle seat. Did you see the quotation I referred to?

Last edited by JFKSFOLAX_friend; Jun 10, 2012 at 11:20 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
A UA phone agent can give you the LH record locator too. As mentioned above, just call LH and they can get you seat assignments.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
The UA website will now show you other airlines' confirmation numbers. There's a link at the top of the reservation details that opens a drop-down box containing them.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by star_world
The UA website will now show you other airlines' confirmation numbers. There's a link at the top of the reservation details that opens a drop-down box containing them.
Even for award reservations? According to j_sunne a few posts up the link is there for paid tickets but not for award reservations.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Even for award reservations? According to j_sunne a few posts up the link is there for paid tickets but not for award reservations.
It's there for both. And even if you can't find it, just call LH with your flight details and they can select a seat for you. Shouldn't be a big deal.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA-Gold
I can confirm that the link is there for paid tickets but not award tickets... I purchased my own ticket for family trip (UA miles, LH metal) - the link is there (if not easy to spot), which allowed easy retrieval of LH confirmation code. But for the rest of my family (on award tickets), the link isn't there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.