Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

can someone with elite status do me a solid?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

I just got off a maddening 30 minute phone call with the kettle line where I am trying to get a segment moved from saver Y to saver F on an award ticket where I have already paid saver F rates. Of course, the overseas phone rep was clueless and went as far as saying there was no saver inventory despite the fact that it is plain as day on the website (I=2).

If anyone who has status is willing to make a call to the elite line on my behalf I would be very grateful...

Alternatively if anyone has ever had any success on getting the twitter team to do this, I would welcome that feedback too. I just cannot call the kettle line, it's too frustrating.

Sorry if this is against FT TOS, I did a quick search and it doesn't seem to be and this doesn't seem to be a typical CC request. If it is against TOS I would welcome the mods to of course close the thread and delete and/or edit my post.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:27 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
It is not always the case however that the availability of an individual segment translates into availability for the entire multisegment leg. That may be what is happening?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TA
It is not always the case however that the availability of an individual segment translates into availability for the entire multisegment leg.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...d-tickets.html
Old Nov 1, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Interesting, is this relatively new?

It used to be that if you had a mixed fare ticket in X and I, you could call in and get the X up'd to I if/when that segment opened. In fact I did this as recently as July or August on my last award ticket, when all my other segments were already in I. Does this simply not work anymore?

Indeed for this particular ticket, searching the full routing returns only ZN inventory, while searching segment by segment returns HN, I and ZN for segment 1, but only HN and ZN for segment 2.

More changes I am supposed to like, then?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: None - previously UA
The other change you will like is that any change triggers a fee (even XN to IN on same flight) within sixty days of travel. Good luck getting it waived.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 10:06 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
... It used to be that if you had a mixed fare ticket in X and I, you could call in and get the X up'd to I if/when that segment opened. In fact I did this as recently as July or August on my last award ticket, when all my other segments were already in I. Does this simply not work anymore?...
Have you attempted a second call? This is more likely a problem agent than some of the other possibilities.

Additionally the new award engine is problematic but if booked prior to Oct 6, this will be under the old rules. If the segment in question the first segment of the ticket? Is it a partner segment?
Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Have you attempted a second call? This is more likely a problem agent than some of the other possibilities.

Additionally the new award engine is problematic but if booked prior to Oct 6, this will be under the old rules. If the segment in question the first segment of the ticket? Is it a partner segment?
It was booked prior to 10/6. I haven't attempted a second call because the one last night was so maddening.

It's all on UA metal, domestic saver F award ticket one way, and yes the segment in question is the first segment of the ticket (which only has two segments).

The flight is only about 2 hours so I might just stick it out in coach...the longer segment (transcon) is already in F.

Is it still possible to waitlist without paying a fee? I will just waitlist myself for I in that case, either it will clear basically instantly or actually go on the waitlist in which case I also expect it would clear eventually.

Last edited by PV_Premier; Nov 1, 2016 at 11:43 am
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
It was booked prior to 10/6. I haven't attempted a second call because the one last night was so maddening. ...
Never fight with an agent, if the agent says no and you believe that is wrong, close the call and call again to get a different agent. You are not going to train an agent -- you will rarely win those battles, why waste your energy. HUCA

Plus HUCA has the benefit, if the second agent has the same answer, maybe there is an issue you are not aware of.

Note there is a small chance of phantom inventory. But if 12-24 hours later it is still there, it isn't phantom.

Is it still possible to waitlist without paying a fee? ... .
yes, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ns-issues.html

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 1, 2016 at 1:47 pm Reason: missing word
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
If you share dates/flights, we can probably confirm that the space exists? I generally had decent luck getting competent agents even when I had no status; I'm a firm believer in just HUCA politely and quickly if you don't get where you want to go. This is admittedly harder if there is a long hold time, but I think system WX is pretty good right now.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Never fight with an agent, if the agent says no and you believe that is wrong, close the call and call again to get a different . You are not going to train an agent -- you with rarely win those battles, why waste your energy. HUCA
And worse, if your record gets annotated, you're done.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UA6120 CLT-IAD 11/25, flight is I2 when searched alone, I0 when searched origin-destination with connecting flight (which is also I0 when searched alone).

i'll try calling again once more today or tomorrow and if no success i will just take the flight in coach.

there is zero chance the guy last night annotated my record but yes after several years as a post-merger 1K and PM i'm aware of the risk.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: None - previously UA

i'll try calling again once more today or tomorrow and if no success i will just take the flight in coach.
It may take a couple calls, as a silver I still do get some OK agents. If things don't start going your way quickly or an agent seems hesitant or slow, just say that your getting a call you need to take and HUCA.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
UA6120 CLT-IAD 11/25, flight is I2 when searched alone, I0 when searched origin-destination with connecting flight (which is also I0 when searched alone).
Yeah.. an icky situation as I really don't think anyone knows exactly how the booking engine and/or agents are "supposed" to deal with married inventories in this case. I'd definitely say you should be able to get the flight changed to I - and I wouldn't be afraid to leverage low hold times to HUCA if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine will only show a legal "mixed" itinerary if the longest segment is in the premium cabin.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by findark
Yeah.. an icky situation as I really don't think anyone knows exactly how the booking engine and/or agents are "supposed" to deal with married inventories in this case. I'd definitely say you should be able to get the flight changed to I - and I wouldn't be afraid to leverage low hold times to HUCA if needed. I wouldn't be surprised if the engine will only show a legal "mixed" itinerary if the longest segment is in the premium cabin.
if inventory still exists early tomorrow morning i will call again then as i'll be in the car with nothing better to do than sit on hold listening to a low quality interrupted recording of crapsody in blue.

its the principle of the matter in that it is such as short flight that it feels ridiculous to spend more time trying to get a seat in F than i would actually spend sitting in said seat i can just throw $7-8 at the drink problem and call it good at that point.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if inventory still exists early tomorrow morning i will call again then as i'll be in the car with nothing better to do than sit on hold listening to a low quality interrupted recording of crapsody in blue.
If they tell you again that there's no inventory, ask if you can be waitlisted for I on that segment. Then, if you don't clear the waitlist immediately (or reasonably quickly), you can call back and say something like "I noticed that there's now I availability on that leg; is it possible to confirm that segment in first class now?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.