Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving seats

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Moving seats

I was flying with a friend first class from LHR to LAX. It was my friends first time in first class and we wanted to sit beside each other. We asked two PAX to switch and they declined. There was an open seat behind me and we asked the purser if he could move there from across the way. They said no as it was occupied.

When we took off no on was in it. After take off one of the crew (Had a united badge around his neck and ate a diferent meal than we did) came in and took the seat. The only diference in this seat and the one my buddy had was that there was a full curtain which could be pulled around the seat. Is this standard of United? Is there something I may have missed about the situation?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by aba20
I was flying with a friend first class from LHR to LAX. It was my friends first time in first class and we wanted to sit beside each other. We asked two PAX to switch and they declined. There was an open seat behind me and we asked the purser if he could move there from across the way. They said no as it was occupied.

When we took off no on was in it. After take off one of the crew (Had a united badge around his neck and ate a diferent meal than we did) came in and took the seat. The only diference in this seat and the one my buddy had was that there was a full curtain which could be pulled around the seat. Is this standard of United? Is there something I may have missed about the situation?
I assume a crew rest/pilot rest seat.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
I assume a crew rest/pilot rest seat.
"The only difference" was the discerning difference. Clearly a pilot/crew rest seat. Why would the OP even post this?
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: UA GS 5 MM, Delta 1.6MM & Hilton Diamond, Avis Chairman, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by aacharya
Why would the OP even post this?
He/she asked a honest question since they most likely don't know the reason, not every post here needs to flame UA or another FT member.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zambonisk
He/she asked a honest question since they most likely don't know the reason, not every post here needs to flame UA or another FT member.
If you or anyone else saw a crew sitting in an F seat on a long-haul, with a curtain around them, would you ask the question?

It's akin to asking why the parking lot is full, but a handicapped space was taken up by someone with a placard.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aacharya
If you or anyone else saw a crew sitting in an F seat on a long-haul, with a curtain around them, would you ask the question?

It's akin to asking why the parking lot is full, but a handicapped space was taken up by someone with a placard.
to someone who was familiar with the blue markings of handicap spaces but if you were from outside the USA you just may not. Just as person who had never seen a crew rest might also be similarly unfamiliar.

Best not to assume everyone has the same knowledge base as you -- I believe FT should be a place for the non-cognoscenti to come and learn.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the answer, didn't realize this was standard or that they couldn't switch with my buddy.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
to someone who was familiar with the blue markings of handicap spaces but if you were from outside the USA you just may not. Just as person who had never seen a crew rest might also be similarly unfamiliar.

Best not to assume everyone has the same knowledge base as you -- I believe FT should be a place for the non-cognoscenti to come and learn.
Fair enough and apologies to the OP if my remarks were harsh.

But it seemed as if the title, main content of the thread (other pax who wouldn't switch), and the question didn't align.

A fairer question may have been "Are crew permitted or want to switch seats with paying pax in Global F"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.