Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

O'Hare: gates B21, B22, F11(?) (very congested and unorganized)

Old Nov 3, 12, 8:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: 1K on United; MARR = PLAT; HIL = DIA; Avis = First; NAT = Ex Elite

Why does UAL consistently run me through these gates each week arriving ORD from from CLE or CMH with southwestern U.S. destinations (TUL, XNA, LIT); and experience same on return.

very, very congested; and long haul from B22 to F11; especially with short layover.
Old Nov 3, 12, 9:22 am

gates

I sure they are not picking on your personally. The gates are luck of the draw as UX uses both F,E,C,B
Old Nov 3, 12, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by trk1 View Post
I sure they are not picking on your personally. The gates are luck of the draw as UX uses both F,E,C,B

I agree, but it seems former Continental impacted as these inbound flights from CLE and CMH contain many former former Continental.

So it's like, run 'em all into ORD (16-18 flights day CLE to ORD) and herd 'em thru furthest point, least intrusive for former United.

Just the feeling I get.

oh well.....see you at B22 and F11 again on Monday....

I loved Friday someone dumped their drink and whipped cream all over the floor; and all but had to pull your carry-on thru the mess to get thru the 2 1/2 foot wide passage....
Old Nov 3, 12, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by GoBucks27 View Post
Originally Posted by trk1 View Post

I agree, but it seems former Continental impacted as these inbound flights from CLE and CMH contain many former former Continental.

So it's like, run 'em all into ORD (16-18 flights day CLE to ORD) and herd 'em thru furthest point, least intrusive for former United.

Just the feeling I get.

oh well.....see you at B22 and F11 again on Monday....

I loved Friday someone dumped their drink and whipped cream all over the floor; and all but had to pull your carry-on thru the mess to get thru the 2 1/2 foot wide passage....
CMH to ORD is a PMUA route so it's got nothing to do with CO routes or not. I just had to haul from B22 toC24 (inbound from YYZ - also PMUA route).
Old Nov 4, 12, 6:24 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discv, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC

Agree.
Isn't gate B22 ar ORD in Wisconsin?
Old Nov 4, 12, 7:04 am

Programs: ex-Con *Gold (earned)
...with southwestern U.S. destinations (TUL, XNA, LIT)...
It' been at least 150 years since Arkansas could be considered a "southwestern U.S. destination".
Old Nov 4, 12, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), SPG/Marriott PP (Ambassador)
Amazes me what people complain about.
Old Nov 4, 12, 9:09 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Why does UAL consistently run me through these gates each week arriving ORD from from CLE or CMH with southwestern U.S. destinations (TUL, XNA, LIT); and experience same on return.

very, very congested; and long haul from B22 to F11; especially with short layover.
As others have said it's nothing personal. E/F are (generally) the RJ terminals at ORD, with B/C being for mid-con/transcon and some Int'l departures.

I agree it's a pain. I have to do this sprint myself when I go see the family in LAN and am coming off an SFO/DEN flight. If you are consistently coming in at B though, I'd say your trip is about half of what it could be.

Try doing that same trip coming off of C24 or C1 sometime
Old Nov 4, 12, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Plat Premier (+AMB); Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I would just be thankful it is not the A gates at IAD....a very special form of misery.

I do empathize with the OP though. I hate some of the gate setups which are cramped.
Old Nov 4, 12, 10:09 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt GP Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe View Post
CMH to ORD is a PMUA route so it's got nothing to do with CO routes or not. I just had to haul from B22 toC24 (inbound from YYZ - also PMUA route).
I think he was referring to all the cuts that took place in CLE and thus now all those previous XXX-CLE routes are XXX-ORD instead.
Old Nov 4, 12, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Sorry. The express gates at ORD are a harmonious orchestration of grace compared to the A concourse express gates at IAD
Old Nov 4, 12, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, AA, DL, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Jet'Dillo View Post
As others have said it's nothing personal. E/F are (generally) the RJ terminals at ORD, with B/C being for mid-con/transcon and some Int'l departures.
Not necessarily. I haven't been to an E/F gate for a while in an RJ, though only RJs go to E/F. With the amount of smaller and larger RJs now, there's not enough space there. Think the E70s go exclusively to B/C, also. But in CR7s and E45s (haven't flown a CR2 in a while), I always seem to gate in B or C, in B, usually by the far part of the concourse (B18 - 22) or the lower Cs (C1-C9 or so).
Old Nov 4, 12, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt World of Confusion, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
As Joe Branatelli puts it, ORD's F concourse is "where the fall of Saigon is reenacted daily."
Old Nov 4, 12, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mccullo3 View Post
I think he was referring to all the cuts that took place in CLE and thus now all those previous XXX-CLE routes are XXX-ORD instead.
Exactly:
As example:
CLE - ATL; CO used to run 6-7 n/s per day with last one back to CLE depart ATL approx 7:30 pm....nice way to get home early on Thursday nite

Now cut to 2-3 with last ATL - CLE depart 5:30pm......difficult to complete work by 3 pm to get to ATL for the 5:39 pm flight

United has cut back all these and many other n/s runs out of CLE, and now "herd" the CLE and CMH flyers to ORD (16-18 flights per day CLE to ORD; into gates and areas that are very congested, unorganized; plus adds an extra stop to reach destination......

Limited seats in B and F area to wait; limited restroom capacity; very limited capacity to re-charge phones/laptop; limited space to manage boarding process....not very traveler friendly areas

CLE is good airport and is traveler friendly; leverage it rather than just fly folks to overcrowded ORD.....

I regulary drive to CMH to get decent airfare as since merger, United is driving airfares thru roof at CLE..... and they also run me to ORD...

Last edited by GoBucks27; Nov 4, 12 at 4:02 pm
Old Nov 4, 12, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by ECOTONE View Post
Amazes me what people complain about.
not really. these gates are hell. spoken from a guy who flew LNK-ORD-GSO and PHL-ORD-LNK/CID semi-constantly for years on end. i'd take the DL connex in MSP any day, that is until they dropped GSO.

Search this Thread