Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What's up United - Why Does Anyone Fly United Business in the Pacific?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2012, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond DL Platinum UA 1K, DL Gold, Marriott Gold

Flew from Bkk to Tokyo on the way to Seattle. First let me say there are things I love about United especially their search engine for award seat and the availability of seats on Star Alliance members.

They must have some new gates as the walk to connecting flights was 3 x as long as it has ever been. Not fun United. Are gates further away cheaper?

The united Club was jammed . It is not big enough for all the flights they send in there around the same time.

But the worst thing was the internet was close to useless , it was so slow.

Wake up United . If you are going to pack the club you ned more band width. Spend the money. In Japan there is no excuse for slow internet.

But my main question is . Why does anyone choose Business Class on United. with so many other choices.

I usually fly Economy but my fortunes have changed and next year I will be flying Business.

I look at the product on ANA and it appears to be no comparison. Only 2 classes on the airplane and staggered seats and the DreamLiner to boot. No climbing over people to use the restroom and of course the service on almost any Asian carrier is far superior to United.

I watched people in Business being served a lightly bigger sandwich before arrival then I got in economy. Really United a cold sandwich is the best you can do for that money.

I ar really interested in knowing why anyone flies United Business in the Pacific vs. ANA or Delta or KE or Asiana

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 3, 2012 at 3:03 am Reason: poor thread title
Old Nov 3, 2012, 2:54 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
People fly UA business to Asia because it's free, they were upgraded, they got a very cheap fare, their company must use an American carrier or their company has HUGE discounts negotiated w UA (up to 60%).

Very few people pay the full C or J fare on United & even less pay the full F fare when those fares are the same as SQ/NH/CX/MH/EK, etc. however, your post is not exactly correct. From BKK-NRT it's true that NH only has 2 cabins while UA has 3 but on most of NH's long haul flights they have 3 classes as well
Old Nov 3, 2012, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I assume you mean UC NRT.

As a matter of fact, it is extremely normal for a UC at a hub to be filled by lots of people.

That's why most of use go to ANA Club for Udon...
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:26 am

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Also on UA you will ALWAYS get full RDMs plus full Premier bonus miles plus full PQMs and miles count toward lifetime miles, too. ANA is pretty good n mileage but watch out for the other Star airlines as you may not earn mileage on all fares and won't get Premier bonus miles.

At NRT definitely go to the ANA club for noodles.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kapkap46
The united Club was jammed. It is not big enough for all the flights they send in there around the same time.

Wake up United . If you are going to pack the club you ned more band width. Spend the money. In Japan there is no excuse for slow internet.
^^ to the above. I was in the UC at NRT in June, and it was indeed overcrowded and the internet speed is pathetic.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Also on UA you will ALWAYS get full RDMs plus full Premier bonus miles plus full PQMs and miles count toward lifetime miles, too. ANA is pretty good n mileage but watch out for the other Star airlines as you may not earn mileage on all fares and won't get Premier bonus miles.

At NRT definitely go to the ANA club for noodles.
LH has good PQM benefits, in particular.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by garykung:19615399
That's why most of use go to ANA Club for Udon...
And some of us know a shortcut to getting there from gates in the middle of the concourse.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
But my main question is . Why does anyone choose Business Class on United. with so many other choices.
Realize, that most people do not choose which which carrier they fly in business class. They are obligated/captive to fly a certain carrier based on a variety of reasons (contract, lowest fare, must fly american, etc.)
Old Nov 3, 2012, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
A best in class loyalty program used to be a strong incentive to do so - no longer the case though
Old Nov 3, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM (now flying with SQ)

I ar really interested in knowing why anyone flies United Business in the Pacific vs. ANA or Delta or KE or Asiana
I used to buy Z fare tickets to fly SFO-HKG on UA because of the 100% bonus miles on MP. After suffering for so many years I finally decided it is not worth it and switched over to SQ this year. I am NOT switching back!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
A best in class loyalty program used to be a strong incentive to do so - no longer the case though
Do you really think the relatively minor changes have changed that ranking? I certainly don't - it's the main thing that keeps me flying on UA.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
They must have some new gates as the walk to connecting flights was 3 x as long as it has ever been. Not fun United. Are gates further away cheaper?
The *A NRT terminal isn't that big.

The united Club was jammed . It is not big enough for all the flights they send in there around the same time.

The ANA lounge internet can also be slow.

I usually fly Economy but my fortunes have changed and next year I will be flying Business.
Corporate discounting and the Fly America Act are all great reasons to fly UA J/F.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:30 am

shortcut :)

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
And some of us know a shortcut to getting there from gates in the middle of the concourse.
so shortcut? care to share
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Agree...for us, this was the primary reason (American flag carrier requirements were the reason we started flying PA, NW and then UA...but this was relaxed for us ten years ago)...Since the treatment of VFFs has been downgraded (along with all of the operational difficulties), we have been flying other carriers for most of our int'l travel...and have not looked back!
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by star_world
Do you really think the relatively minor changes have changed that ranking? I certainly don't - it's the main thing that keeps me flying on UA.
Many of us don't consider them minor, and thus have shifted partially or wholly away from UA.

I will still fly some UA, but the days of my 100% loyalty are gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.