Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2016, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The disability number has now been updated to 1-800-228-2744

Carry-on allowance
You're also allowed to bring the following items on board, in addition to your one bag and one personal item limit (Footnote 2):

Jacket or umbrella
Reading material
Food or merchandise purchased in the airport
Assistive devices (collapsible wheelchair, cane, one set of crutches, medical devices needed to administer prescription medications, portable oxygen concentrator, etc.)
FAA-approved child restraint system or safety seat
Diaper bag
Breast pump
Pet carrier (service charges apply for in-cabin pets)

CoC Rule 23.B.2 Baggage

In addition to the Carry-on Free Baggage Allowance listed above, the following items do not count toward the one Carry-on plus one personal item:
An overcoat or wrap.
An umbrella.
A reasonable amount of reading material.
A pet carrier (charges apply) (the carrier must be small enough to fit underneath the seat without blocking any person’s path to the main aisle of the aircraft, and it must be stowed properly before the forward customer entry door to the aircraft is closed).
A collapsible wheelchair.
A government approved child/infant restraint seat meeting Federal Motor Vehicle and FAA Approval Standards.
A camera.
A diaper bag.
A breast pump.
A limited amount of Airport Duty Free items, merchandise purchased in the airport, or food. These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
Assistive devices (a cane, one set of crutches, prescription medications and any medical devices needed to administer the medications, a Portable Oxygen Concentrator (POC), etc.). These items must be stowed in the same manner as Carry-on Baggage.
DOT § 382.121 What mobility aids and other assistive devices may passengers with a disability bring into the aircraft cabin?

related thread
Traveling on UA with a portable oxygen concentrator - Questions, Experiences, Etc

Print Wikipost

Traveling on UA with a CPAP Device - Questions, Experiences, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA GS
I do carry a copy of the prescription in the CPAP bag but I have never been stopped or asked with the exception of one rogue GA in DEN that I called out for not pre-boarding GS in retaliation. But she was already dragged away by another GA before I had to defend myself.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
CPAP... It is also a good practice to notify the disability desk about usage....
I called one time and had a poor outcome, so now I just bring it onboard and plug it in, without incident. I carry a printout stating the Resmed machine is compliant, etc..... but have never needed it. This has been in Y and C

My "poor outcome" resulted when the polite, friendly, even jovial, agent with special needs department apparently clicked the wrong box. I was thereafter identified as needing a wheelchair. 😱. I discovered on travel day that I lost my exit row aisle seat on the 767, for an 11 hour flight, due to supposedly needing a wheelchair. I straightened out the situation due to flight not being full. But I learned my lesson. I no longer call the special needs desk; just bring the CPAP onboard.
Old May 22, 2017, 6:45 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Question

Originally Posted by Flexible Flyer
I called one time and had a poor outcome, so now I just bring it onboard and plug it in, without incident. I carry a printout stating the Resmed machine is compliant, etc..... but have never needed it. This has been in Y and C

My "poor outcome" resulted when the polite, friendly, even jovial, agent with special needs department apparently clicked the wrong box. I was thereafter identified as needing a wheelchair. 😱. I discovered on travel day that I lost my exit row aisle seat on the 767, for an 11 hour flight, due to supposedly needing a wheelchair. I straightened out the situation due to flight not being full. But I learned my lesson. I no longer call the special needs desk; just bring the CPAP onboard.

They let you use your CPAP (plus plug into power?) while in an exit row? As a tall guy who uses a CPAP, I can relate. But from the point of view of potentially using the exit row to exit the plane in an emergency, having electrical gadgets with hoses and cords on the floor seems like a potential problem. Just curious, not judging!
Old May 22, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: UA *Gold (1 MM)
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
They let you use your CPAP (plus plug into power?) while in an exit row? As a tall guy who uses a CPAP, I can relate. But from the point of view of potentially using the exit row to exit the plane in an emergency, having electrical gadgets with hoses and cords on the floor seems like a potential problem. Just curious, not judging!
FAs are vigilant about keeping exit row access open during take off and landing, but during flight pax often have all kinds of stuff at their feet - pillows, blankets, briefcases, backpacks, shoes etc. My in-flight use of CPAP is rare since sleeping is always a challenge for me in any class of service.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:40 am

In order to leave the check-in desk today at PVG as a J traveler (so no problem with power supply) I had to promise not to use my CPAP, despite having preapproval from the disability desk for my AirMini, which is FAA approved. Super annoyed. I probably wouldn’t have slept on the flight anyway since it was leaving PVG at noon, but I would have liked to have had the option. If preapproval doesn’t mean anything, why the heck did I bother to call and get preapproval from the disability line and cause myself inconvenience?
wbl-mn-flyer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:58 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Rosehill28
as a J traveler (so no problem with power supply)
Did you have batteries to power the CPAP?

This from the Customer-provided ventilators, respirators and CPAP machines page on United.com: "customers must have an ample supply of fully charged batteries plus three hours of extra battery time for the flight". It sounds like you met all other requirements.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:35 am

No battery. 6th J flight this year and never been a problem before, but yeah, my fault so I won’t complain to UA. So annoying because it literally uses less power than a laptop so the requirement is stupid. They didn’t deny me for lack of power but because they didn’t recognize the machine. Checkin agent took photos two times and was searching for it. I had the FAA paperwork.
wbl-mn-flyer likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:39 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Rosehill28
They didn’t deny me for lack of power but because they didn’t recognize the machine. Checkin agent took photos two times and was searching for it.
You should have called/Skyped the Disability Desk. It has staff 24/7 and they can intervene with any Agent.

Last edited by Pat89339; Jul 28, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not a UA flyer but always bring a CPAP. I have a Tumi expandable brief that has a compartment big enough for my cpap and laptop (also have one by Werks). It’s pushing it to call it a personal item (but it can fit under the seat) , but I’ve never been questioned. If asked, I just say it’s medical equipment.

Seems easier to explain a large personal item than a third one, and it keeps things more private.
whitewave likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
If Using A CPAP Mask do you need another?

If you are flying say trans Pacific and at night use the CPAP mask and machine, do you have to put another mask over it? The machine keeps your mouth closed and the mask uses you nostrils so I cannot see how it would allow anything into the environment.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Are you sure that UA will agree with you?!!
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
OP, I've alerted a moderator to move your post to another forum. This isn't really UA related and it wouldn't be up to them, they have to follow the FAA guidelines. Perhaps you could look in this forum: Corona Virus and travel
benfro6 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:52 am

I don't understand the question. Masks (to help prevent COVID) are to keep a person from potentially inhaling or potentially exhaling the virus. Your CPAP mask has exhaust vents.

I use a nasal pillow mask, so it is small and doesn't cover my mouth, but wearing a mask for COVID over it was suprisingly comfortable (I've done this a couple of times so far). Yes, it isn't a perfect seal at that point, but the vast majority of people don't have a perfect seal (let alone over their nose) and it is better than nothing. It sounds like you have a full face mask, which I have only worn once in my life. I would suggest trying a COVID mask over it at home as a first step, if you haven't already.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I'm not aware of there being an established rule on this in either the TSA directives or airline procedures. Without an established rule, you're going to deal with the interpretations of the employees you encounter. I would try to get an official answer from your airline's accessibility desk about any procedures they have.

Earlier in the pandemic, Australia had a rather severe policy. Foreign flight crewmembers would have their CPAP machines confiscated upon arrival. If the crewmember required the use of the CPAP during the layover, they were admitted to a hospital for the duration of their stay.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:29 pm

Ive slept with a nasal pillow mask on several overnight flights with no trouble. It was all in business or first pods though. In economy I could see it being a different story.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.