Wiki Posts
Search

MPM rule enforced on award ticket now?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
MPM rule enforced on award ticket now?

Well, we all know they "relaxed" the restriction of MPM after merger. But recently when several friends are booking on the phone, the agent refused to make several routings due to "exceeding MPM", although you can find some of them online. Does it mean MPM will be back?
Old Nov 2, 2012, 4:56 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Soooo.... What is MPM?

Sorry- This one's new to me.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by paulyras
Soooo.... What is MPM?

Sorry- This one's new to me.
Maximum Permitted Miles. Old UA had this rule that you cannot travel more than 115% miles than the shortest route between the origin and destination. Old CO doesn't have this rule. I used to call the offices in China since they are old CO agents who don't care about this at all. But last time a friend called them and they say the US HQ told them not to issue tickets exceeding MPM. I don't know if it's the agent's make-up or an enforced rule now.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by zig2
Maximum Permitted Miles. Old UA had this rule that you cannot travel more than 115% miles than the shortest route between the origin and destination. Old CO doesn't have this rule. I used to call the offices in China since they are old CO agents who don't care about this at all. But last time a friend called them and they say the US HQ told them not to issue tickets exceeding MPM. I don't know if it's the agent's make-up or an enforced rule now.
This is a new one for me.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:35 am

I've had pmUA agents insist on old UA rules being applied from time to time this year, so hopefully it was just a matter of agents following some very old "rules from HQ". It is also common that they simply make up rules when they feel like it and claim to have verified it with their supervisor, e.g. I frequently run in to the excuse that connections can not exceed 4 hours on international trips whenever my itinerary wont price.

Given the MPM numbers I was given last year I sincerely hope they are not switching back to UA's old rules since that would render my miles useless for my city pairs.
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
Old UA agent you talked to, no MPM or they would not offer US-Asia via Europe as an option on the award search
Old Nov 3, 2012, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by dcsnowwake
Old UA agent you talked to, no MPM or they would not offer US-Asia via Europe as an option on the award search
US -> Asia via Europe is within the 115% of MPM.

[KVS Availability Tool 7.0.7/Diamond - Reference: Maximum Permitted Mileage [MPM]: JFK-BKK/UA]
Code:

GI       M      5M     10M     15M     20M     25M     
MPM      PA   10648   11180   11712   12245   12777   13310     
MPM      AT   11734   12320   12907   13494   14080   14667
Just as an example: JFK-FRA-LHR-NRT-BKK is 13218 miles, within the +15% of MPM.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:04 pm

Award travel in excess of MPM when there is published routing that exceeds it?

Easy question that I cannot find a definitive answer to anywhere. Is it possible to book award travel using published routing from another star alliance airline that exceeds the Maximum Permitted Mileage?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Welcome to FlyerTalk Dave.d!

As far as I know, current thinking is that MPM does not apply to UA awards anymore.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:40 pm

Thanks for the welcome. So does that mean that as long as someone has published a specific routing between the two cities, then it should fly from an awards standpoint?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dave.d
Thanks for the welcome. So does that mean that as long as someone has published a specific routing between the two cities, then it should fly from an awards standpoint?
No. It means that the MPM doesn't matter.

Neither do published routings. There are some rules in terms of transiting different zones (e.g. no US-Australia via Europe/Africa/India), but generally the policies are quite generous.

Get creative; you'll likely be fine.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 4:04 pm

Is the allowable routing different for different classes? I am doing a search on united.com and finding that for economy, it will allow the routing with a single reward, whereas for business it wants to charge two rewards for the same flights, same routing. (I know united.com is buggy, just looking for some options right now)
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Dave.d
Is the allowable routing different for different classes?
No.

What you're seeing is likely a bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.