Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related topic: Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, BE waiver

United;s web page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy
and Ticket refund policies - Booking service fees
April 2020
We know that life happens, and you may need to change your travel plans unexpectedly. United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations aren’t eligible for changes within 24 hours, they’re still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. Please view the terms and conditions below for more details.Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com, United City Ticket Offices, airport ticket counters or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time you book and ticket your reservation.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, except for purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets are subject to the terms of the group contract.
  • Tickets purchased using e-certificates are excluded. (New April 2020)
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock® fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Previous wording - Dec 2019

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Please view the terms and conditions below.
Terms and conditions
1. Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center.
2. The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
3. Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, with the exception of purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
4. Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
5. Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
6. Any FareLockSM fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.

Note: United refers to this as "United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy", not just cancellations. UA includes routing changes, pricing changes, fare class changes, ..... as well as simple cancellations. But the timeframe is based on the original purchases and not reset by a change. Only a cancellation and then separate rebooking would achieve that.

Reservation booking service fees and close-in booking fees for award tickets are refundable only if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. These sometimes may take an extra request.

Starting 2016Q4 ticket receipts state
Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
The website link does now mention the 7 day restriction (new 2017Q2) and the CoCs has contained the 7 day restriction for awhile. This is allowed by the DoT rules. However, no reports yet of UA enforcing the 7 day restriction.

DOT 24 refund rule, announcement
DOT requires airlines to either hold a reservation for 24 hours without payment or refund a paid ticket — even a non-refundable one — if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase and you purchased your ticket more than 7 days before your flight.

Airlines are free to choose between holding a reservation without payment in these circumstances or refunding after payment; they don’t have to offer both options. ...
76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Further DOT Guidance on 24 hour rule
Note the present UA implementation in practice is more generous -- no 7 day limitation enforcement as of yet.
UA's 24 hour rule was in place long before the DOT requirement .

Note -- a changed ticket does not get a new 24-hour free cancel period -- that benefit only applies to the original purchase.

Does the 24 hour rule apply to award tickets?
Yes

Does the 24 hour rule apply to close in bookings?
Yes but cancellation must be done before scheduled departure.
While the policy revision in 2018 add the DOT allowed 7-day exemption, UA has generally allowed this and not enforced the 7-day exemption. There has been just one FT reported situation where the 7-day was enforced and it had other factors.

In the case of credit card purchases, on a cancellation, the credit charge may be left pending and never finalized. So in the end it is as if it never happen.

Basic Economy tickets -- are they projected by the 24 hour rule?
Yes, UA is allowing cancellation of BE tickets in the first 24 hour (consistent with DOT requirements. But as UA allows changes also of other fares in the first 24 hours, it will not allow that of BE . The distinction is minor but

Book a reservation with ETC but cancelled with 24 hours, will the ETC be refunded?
Yes it should but UA can be rather slow on this and occasionally will drop the ball. You may need to followup. Note the refunded ETC will have the same expiration as the original ETC. (So, not a way to extend the ETC ) -- Note in late 2020, UA's practice does seem to have changed to issuing NEW ETCs

Archive thread: United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
Thanks -- as it turns out, I decided to keep the ticket. But, thanks for the advice. Just had never seen that before!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:35 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG/Marriott Platinum
We're not United people, but had an encounter today that I wanted to post and share.

Booked a one-way ticket from EWR-TPA for President's day weekend in Feb for about $400 for my wife. Ticket was booked last night at around 11PM. Return is on DL, and despite UA being $400, it was the most cost effective for the time she had to be there for a weekend bachelorette party, but I digress as none of those details are pertinent.

This morning, while at work, I find an alternative outbound that makes more sense for us on DL, so went ahead and booked it online. Since I was at work, asked her to call and cancel the ticket - which by now was 10hrs or so old. I was explicit to mention to her that agents by default mention a fee and you have to highlight that you are within the 24hr cancellation window.

We have no status with UA, so know we'd be treated like the herd, but this was a pretty simple thing, and should have been handled within a few mins. My wife calls in gets an agent after a wait, and asks to cancel. The agent states there will be a $180 fee. She cites the policy, and the agent says that policies have changed and the ticket she purchased was the most restrictive non-refundable economy ticket. She continues to cite policy, he places her on hold, comes back and says he can waive the fee down to $100 (like he's doing her a favor). My wife sticks to her guns and cites policy, the agent then actually tries to ask the reason she would like to cancel (as it would matter). My wife simple states she would like to cancel and its within policy. The agent then says he'll need to escalate to a manager and have a call back in 20mins.

She call's me after the first call, and I'm surprised to hear the problem. Never had I had such problem, nor do I think its legal since it is a DoT requirement. She finally gets a call from the manager that cancels for a full refund, no questions asked. Manager seems befuddled himself as to why the first agent would state that and escalate to him, but not really sure he does anything to address. Long story short, says my wife should receive an email shortly. She hasn't received an email yet - its been about 4 hours, but logging into her account, she sees the reservation is now gone, so we think we are in the clear.

I stumbled upon this thread after the encounter. Seems like UA had some issues with the policy last year, but nothing like an agent refusing to honor their own and DoT policy. Has anyone come across this before? And should we be concerned that we have nothing in writing to prove the cancellation, or any of the interactions with agents? I don't want this to go post 24hrs and due to some minor point get denied the cancellation.

Finally - whats your take on the first agent? Simply an unscrupulous agent trying to hustle a few bucks, or is this a larger UA thing? Is this something we should file a complaint with UA or even the DoT? As I stated above, manager didn't know why it was escalated to him, but also didn't seem to take any corrective action.

Appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
The general rule with UA is never attribute to malice that which can be explained by sheer incompetence.

But may I ask why you didn’t simply cancel online? That should create a paper (electronic) trail automatically.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG/Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by milypan
The general rule with UA is never attribute to malice that which can be explained by sheer incompetence.

But may I ask why you didn’t simply cancel online? That should create a paper (electronic) trail automatically.
Thought it better to cancel via live person, as we do with DL. Reading through this thread, seems to also be the preferred route with an abundance of caution, albeit not generating the paperwork.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GToutkast
Finally - whats your take on the first agent? Simply an unscrupulous agent trying to hustle a few bucks, or is this a larger UA thing? Is this something we should file a complaint with UA or even the DoT? As I stated above, manager didn't know why it was escalated to him, but also didn't seem to take any corrective action.
Likely just confused.

You can certainly follow up with UA and/or the DOT, although I’m not sure what resolution you’re looking for besides ‘this agent needs to be retrained.’

In the future, the general advice for dealing with a clueless UA agent is just to hang up and call again.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Quick question, if a reservation with 2 passengers is ticketed, can I cancel and refund only one of the passengers within 24 hours, leaving the other passenger booked at the original fare? Obviously, it would be easier to cancel the whole record and then make a new reservation for just one person, but the fare has gone up since ticketing.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
Quick question, if a reservation with 2 passengers is ticketed, can I cancel and refund only one of the passengers within 24 hours, leaving the other passenger booked at the original fare? Obviously, it would be easier to cancel the whole record and then make a new reservation for just one person, but the fare has gone up since ticketing.
I've not done it, but you should be able to split the reservation and then cancel whichever ticket you wish.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
I've not done it, but you should be able to split the reservation and then cancel whichever ticket you wish.
Good advice, thanks. I tried to do the split online by starting a change for only one passenger but it did not split so I'll call United to split them. Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
this.

Though last time Intried to do something like this, I think it was an award and gave me a really weird mileage refund amount, so i was too much of a whimp to confirm online and just called it in instead. Agent confirmed it was likely a display error online resulting from confusion from the split.

My process for a refund is to do start online, then follow up immediately with a phone call. Some may ask why two parts. Doing the refund on the phone doesn’t generate an email - Id guess there’s an internal record, but nothing I have blanket access to should the refund not arrive. I’ve also had a situation once (but that was enough), where said refund confirmation arrived, but refund didn’t. A call in confirmed a ‘cancelation’ was made, but not a ‘refund’ request, even though I had clear evidence of one. It was refunded by the agent at that point. Enough to make me ensure I keep records (and do this for all refund transactions now - not just UA - I rarely have issues, but you never know when you need it...).
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Sorry if it has not been mentioned. I just booked a ticket and would like to do a 24 hour cancellation. I see an option to do it online but would that also provide a refund? Or do I have to call?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Sorry if it has not been mentioned. I just booked a ticket and would like to do a 24 hour cancellation. I see an option to do it online but would that also provide a refund? Or do I have to call?
I always recommend calling.

That said, you will get a refund if you do it online, provided you click all the way through. You have to confirm it multiple times, and make sure that you select "refund" as opposed to "credit toward a future flight."
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Maybe this is old news but I just realized I didn't get a refund from a reservation that I canceled within 24 hours from July last year. Looking at my receipt I suspect it was because of a change I made within the 24 hour period before canceling, if you do this I think you have to call up or the payment won't be refunded. Looking at the receipt for the changed itin it says the form of payment: MISC DOCUMENT. The agent was able to process the refund request back to CC, but in the future, I will just cancel and book again rather than change a booking.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:19 am

Is United enforcing the "if you book within 7 days of travel you don't get to cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" rule yet?
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sincx
Is United enforcing the "if you book within 7 days of travel you don't get to cancel for free within 24 hours of booking" rule yet?
So far, I have see zero reports of them doing that, but I haven't had to take advantage of that policy recently.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 7:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Cancel Policy Still Applicable Within 7 Days of Departure

I bought a ticket today within 24 hours of departure. Purchase screen include a "24-hour flexible booking policy" icon and text confirming that this ticket would qualify for UA's free 24 hour cancel (with no exclusion for tix purchased within 7 days of departure). Had to cancel it, and cancel screen confirmed full refund to my credit card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.