Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related topic: Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, BE waiver

United;s web page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy
and Ticket refund policies - Booking service fees
April 2020
We know that life happens, and you may need to change your travel plans unexpectedly. United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations aren’t eligible for changes within 24 hours, they’re still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. Please view the terms and conditions below for more details.Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com, United City Ticket Offices, airport ticket counters or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time you book and ticket your reservation.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, except for purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets are subject to the terms of the group contract.
  • Tickets purchased using e-certificates are excluded. (New April 2020)
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock® fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Previous wording - Dec 2019

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Please view the terms and conditions below.
Terms and conditions
1. Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center.
2. The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
3. Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, with the exception of purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
4. Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
5. Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
6. Any FareLockSM fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.

Note: United refers to this as "United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy", not just cancellations. UA includes routing changes, pricing changes, fare class changes, ..... as well as simple cancellations. But the timeframe is based on the original purchases and not reset by a change. Only a cancellation and then separate rebooking would achieve that.

Reservation booking service fees and close-in booking fees for award tickets are refundable only if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. These sometimes may take an extra request.

Starting 2016Q4 ticket receipts state
Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
The website link does now mention the 7 day restriction (new 2017Q2) and the CoCs has contained the 7 day restriction for awhile. This is allowed by the DoT rules. However, no reports yet of UA enforcing the 7 day restriction.

DOT 24 refund rule, announcement
DOT requires airlines to either hold a reservation for 24 hours without payment or refund a paid ticket — even a non-refundable one — if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase and you purchased your ticket more than 7 days before your flight.

Airlines are free to choose between holding a reservation without payment in these circumstances or refunding after payment; they don’t have to offer both options. ...
76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Further DOT Guidance on 24 hour rule
Note the present UA implementation in practice is more generous -- no 7 day limitation enforcement as of yet.
UA's 24 hour rule was in place long before the DOT requirement .

Note -- a changed ticket does not get a new 24-hour free cancel period -- that benefit only applies to the original purchase.

Does the 24 hour rule apply to award tickets?
Yes

Does the 24 hour rule apply to close in bookings?
Yes but cancellation must be done before scheduled departure.
While the policy revision in 2018 add the DOT allowed 7-day exemption, UA has generally allowed this and not enforced the 7-day exemption. There has been just one FT reported situation where the 7-day was enforced and it had other factors.

In the case of credit card purchases, on a cancellation, the credit charge may be left pending and never finalized. So in the end it is as if it never happen.

Basic Economy tickets -- are they projected by the 24 hour rule?
Yes, UA is allowing cancellation of BE tickets in the first 24 hour (consistent with DOT requirements. But as UA allows changes also of other fares in the first 24 hours, it will not allow that of BE . The distinction is minor but

Book a reservation with ETC but cancelled with 24 hours, will the ETC be refunded?
Yes it should but UA can be rather slow on this and occasionally will drop the ball. You may need to followup. Note the refunded ETC will have the same expiration as the original ETC. (So, not a way to extend the ETC ) -- Note in late 2020, UA's practice does seem to have changed to issuing NEW ETCs

Archive thread: United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hauteboy
Is the refund 24 hrs or technically midnight of 2nd calendar day? I booked AKL-SFO-LAX (Air NZ codeshare) but now the AKL-LAX nonstop is showing cheaper. Ticketing date shows Oct 29th but technically it was 12:44 AM so already past 24 hr there. If I click on cancel it shows the total and credit to 'my original form of payment' and 'future purchase' but doesn't mention a redeposit/cancel fee. However if I go to 'change flights' it does show a change fee there.
if it shows no cancel fee and full redeposit to your original FOP .... take screenshots and cancel ...
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
I have a quick question about cancelling a reservation and don't have time to google. Hope someone can help me within the next 2 hours.

I purchased a ticket yesterday about 6pm. Under the 24 hour cancellation policy, do I have until midnight tonight to cancel or is it exactly a 24 hour hour window?

Thanks, I know some airlines give you until midnight of the next day, I wasn't sure if United was one.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2018 at 8:31 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Traveller
I have a quick question about cancelling a reservation and don't have time to google. Hope someone can help me within the next 2 hours.

I purchased a ticket yesterday about 6pm. Under the 24 hour cancellation policy, do I have until midnight tonight to cancel or is it exactly a 24 hour hour window?

Thanks, I know some airlines give you until midnight of the next day, I wasn't sure if United was one.
I found my own answer. And I purchased the ticket for a flight on Sunday so I wouldn't be eligible to cancel anyway.

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Please view the terms and conditions below.

Terms and conditions

• Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, with the exception of purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock® fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Traveller
And I purchased the ticket for a flight on Sunday so I wouldn't be eligible to cancel anyway
UA does not enforce the 7 day restriction. However it is a strict 24 hours from ticketing. DL gives you until midnight the next day.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
UA does not enforce the 7 day restriction. However it is a strict 24 hours from ticketing. DL gives you until midnight the next day.
Thanks, I was going to cancel it and rebook the same flights (to get another 24 hour cancel period) because I'm not 100% sure the trip is a go. I wanted to have tomorrow to get the final answer from my manager, but now I suppose it's too late since it's more than exactly 24 hours.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Is the refund 24 hrs or technically midnight of 2nd calendar day? I booked AKL-SFO-LAX (Air NZ codeshare) but now the AKL-LAX nonstop is showing cheaper. Ticketing date shows Oct 29th but technically it was 12:44 AM so already past 24 hr there. If I click on cancel it shows the total and credit to 'my original form of payment' and 'future purchase' but doesn't mention a redeposit/cancel fee. However if I go to 'change flights' it does show a change fee there.
It's 24 hours with UA. DL goes to midnight of the day following.
Originally Posted by cfischer
if it shows no cancel fee and full redeposit to your original FOP .... take screenshots and cancel ...
There is a small wiggle room in the 24 hours, maybe just while back-end systems are out of sync, and the website may allow cancellation even 26 or 27 hours after reserving. If it shows now cancel fee, it will not charge a fee.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:41 pm

I just booked a "E" class ticket from LAX to MCO through my company's travel website (Travel Leaders). The ticket was about $500. I now see that I could have booked a business "Z" class ticket for only $488 that leaves later that day (not the same flight). United's website let's me change my flight into the business class flight, but there is a $200 change fee. The ticket was purchased within 24 hours. Is there any way to waive this fee? I know United 24 hour policy is only if you use United.com or call United directly, instead of using a third party. Any chance they would waive it?
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
I just booked a "E" class ticket from LAX to MCO through my company's travel website (Travel Leaders). The ticket was about $500. I now see that I could have booked a business "Z" class ticket for only $488 that leaves later that day (not the same flight). United's website let's me change my flight into the business class flight, but there is a $200 change fee. The ticket was purchased within 24 hours. Is there any way to waive this fee? I know United 24 hour policy is only if you use United.com or call United directly, instead of using a third party. Any chance they would waive it?
You may be running into a few issues.

You are correct, the 24 hours cancel free window is based on who you made the purchase from.
Are you within 7 days of travel?
UA may charge a fee for taking over a TA ticket.

However, I would just call UA (immediately) and see if the agent will waive the change fee.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
You may be running into a few issues.

You are correct, the 24 hours cancel free window is based on who you made the purchase from.
Are you within 7 days of travel?
UA may charge a fee for taking over a TA ticket.

However, I would just call UA (immediately) and see if the agent will waive the change fee.

I just called. They said I would have to pay the $200 fee or contact my TA work through them.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
can anyone confirm that UA still doesn’t enforce the 7 day restriction with actual experience?

i have an award ticket I’m trying to book with my departure on Monday - there was lots of saver space on various flights this morning (departing midday/early afternoon), including 2 that were pretty good options. These 2, along with many others, disappeared this afternoon by the time I was ready to book.

Wondering if I could book one of the flights that’s available at the moment, and see if the one of the ones I really want becomes available again tomorrow (I’ve been looking on and off the last few days, and it seems that many days, the X/XN space disappears at some point during the day, gone by the evening, but returns in the morning, but who knows when that will end. Also, if they do come back, and I book a higher price award (say at 12.5K with an AC segment vs UA saver at 10K), that I should be able to get the excess mileage back, correct?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 9:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Can anyone confirm that UA still doesn’t enforce the 7 day restriction with actual experience?....
This has been asked frequently and there have been zero reports of UA enforcing the 7-day rule (but UA did change the formal rules 2 years ago, so it potentially could happen anytime).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
24-hour cancellation: no credit card refund??

I am looking to cancel within 24 hours of booking a flight I booked last night. When I go to UA's web site to cancel the itinerary, I only see an area called "Credit Towards" that gives me two options: 1) have them send an electronic travel certificate; 2) Give a credit towards a future flight purchase

Two questions:

1) Does UA no longer just issue a credit back to the credit card? If not, that seems insane and something to complain to regulators about (Looks like they are trying to keep float on the unused funds)

2) Do the credits for the electronic travel certificate or credit for future purchase have to be used in a single ticket purchase in the future (i.e., you have to be a ticket of similar or higher value or you lose the excess funds)? Or, can part of it be used for one cheaper ticket and the rest of the funds are retained for other future ticket purchases?

Thanks.

John H
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jh6000
I am looking to cancel within 24 hours of booking a flight I booked last night. When I go to UA's web site to cancel the itinerary, I only see an area called "Credit Towards" that gives me two options: 1) have them send an electronic travel certificate; 2) Give a credit towards a future flight purchase
Either there are more relevant details here, or it's an error on the website. Was this a new booking, or a rebooking of an existing ticket? Are you within seven days of travel?

For a new booking, UA is required by DOT reg to offer refund to original form of payment for refunds that meet the applicable requirements.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: United Platinum & 2.0MM; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium and Lifetime Gold; Hyatt and Hilton Honors peon
This is a new booking (last night) for flights to Mexico in mid-January (so not within 7 days).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by jh6000
This is a new booking (last night) for flights to Mexico in mid-January (so not within 7 days).
It's definitely an error then if it's not allowing you to select refund to original form of payment. I'd suggest calling UA while you're still in the 24 hour window.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.