Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2024, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related topic: Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, BE waiver

United;s web page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy
and Ticket refund policies - Booking service fees
April 2020
We know that life happens, and you may need to change your travel plans unexpectedly. United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations aren’t eligible for changes within 24 hours, they’re still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. Please view the terms and conditions below for more details.Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com, United City Ticket Offices, airport ticket counters or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time you book and ticket your reservation.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, except for purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets are subject to the terms of the group contract.
  • Tickets purchased using e-certificates are excluded. (New April 2020)
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock® fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Previous wording - Dec 2019

United's 24-hour flexible booking policy allows the flexibility to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of purchasing your ticket, without incurring change fees if you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a 100% refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations are not eligible for changes within 24 hours, they are still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more prior to the original scheduled departure flight. Please view the terms and conditions below.
Terms and conditions
1. Applies to tickets booked at united.com or with the United Customer Contact Center.
2. The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time your ticket is purchased.
3. Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, with the exception of purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
4. Group tickets and tickets purchased using Western Union, cash or e-certificates are excluded.
5. Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
6. Any FareLockSM fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.

Note: United refers to this as "United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy", not just cancellations. UA includes routing changes, pricing changes, fare class changes, ..... as well as simple cancellations. But the timeframe is based on the original purchases and not reset by a change. Only a cancellation and then separate rebooking would achieve that.

Reservation booking service fees and close-in booking fees for award tickets are refundable only if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. These sometimes may take an extra request.

Starting 2016Q4 ticket receipts state
Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
The website link does now mention the 7 day restriction (new 2017Q2) and the CoCs has contained the 7 day restriction for awhile. This is allowed by the DoT rules. However, no reports yet of UA enforcing the 7 day restriction.

DOT 24 refund rule, announcement
DOT requires airlines to either hold a reservation for 24 hours without payment or refund a paid ticket — even a non-refundable one — if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase and you purchased your ticket more than 7 days before your flight.

Airlines are free to choose between holding a reservation without payment in these circumstances or refunding after payment; they don’t have to offer both options. ...
76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Further DOT Guidance on 24 hour rule
Note the present UA implementation in practice is more generous -- no 7 day limitation enforcement as of yet.
UA's 24 hour rule was in place long before the DOT requirement .

Note -- a changed ticket does not get a new 24-hour free cancel period -- that benefit only applies to the original purchase.

Does the 24 hour rule apply to award tickets?
Yes

Does the 24 hour rule apply to close in bookings?
Yes but cancellation must be done before scheduled departure.
While the policy revision in 2018 add the DOT allowed 7-day exemption, UA has generally allowed this and not enforced the 7-day exemption. There has been just one FT reported situation where the 7-day was enforced and it had other factors.

In the case of credit card purchases, on a cancellation, the credit charge may be left pending and never finalized. So in the end it is as if it never happen.

Basic Economy tickets -- are they projected by the 24 hour rule?
Yes, UA is allowing cancellation of BE tickets in the first 24 hour (consistent with DOT requirements. But as UA allows changes also of other fares in the first 24 hours, it will not allow that of BE . The distinction is minor but

Book a reservation with ETC but cancelled with 24 hours, will the ETC be refunded?
Yes it should but UA can be rather slow on this and occasionally will drop the ball. You may need to followup. Note the refunded ETC will have the same expiration as the original ETC. (So, not a way to extend the ETC ) -- Note in late 2020, UA's practice does seem to have changed to issuing NEW ETCs

Archive thread: United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Regarding cancellation of award tickets within 24 hours of booking, I booked our one-way tickets for May of next year on ANA using United miles in business. When I hit change/cancel flights, I get three options. A little confused between cancel reservation and request a refund options. I am pretty sure it's "request a refund" options but wanted to double check. Also, how long does it take to get the miles back and do we still need to make a phone call to get the miles back if canceling online? Thanks!
Old Sep 2, 2017, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jediwho
Regarding cancellation of award tickets within 24 hours of booking, I booked our one-way tickets for May of next year on ANA using United miles in business. When I hit change/cancel flights, I get three options. A little confused between cancel reservation and request a refund options. I am pretty sure it's "request a refund" options but wanted to double check. Also, how long does it take to get the miles back and do we still need to make a phone call to get the miles back if canceling online? Thanks!
"Request a refund," and then keep clicking the continue buttons.

The miles are supposed to be refunded automatically / immediately. You can log out and log back into your account, and they should be back. IME, this happens about 50% of the time. The other 50%, they show up within a day or two. If they don't show up immediately, and you need them to book another flight, you can call the MileagePlus Service Center and they can push it through on the phone.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by jsloan
"Request a refund," and then keep clicking the continue buttons.

The miles are supposed to be refunded automatically / immediately. You can log out and log back into your account, and they should be back. IME, this happens about 50% of the time. The other 50%, they show up within a day or two. If they don't show up immediately, and you need them to book another flight, you can call the MileagePlus Service Center and they can push it through on the phone.
Thanks very much! I am all set and got my miles back.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 4:01 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jediwho
Depends on what you want to do.

Change is pretty clear

as for the other two -- do you want to completely cancel & refund the miles and paying redeposit fees if applicable
or
do you want to cancel but come back later and use those miles? paying the change fee if applicable?

In the past the change fee and redeposit fee were different, presently they are the same.

However if you are subject to a award booking fee, that does not apply to again to changing a canceled (but not redeposited miles) ticket but would apply to redepositing and then booking a new award.
Old Sep 2, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However if you are subject to a award booking fee, that does not apply to again to changing a canceled (but not redeposited miles) ticket but would apply to redepositing and then booking a new award.
While that is 100% true, this is the 24-hour-cancel thread; within 24 hours, "refund" is always the best approach. You'd get any close-in booking fee back too.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Platinum
Alright, I apologize in advance - I tried to unpack everything in this thread but am just going to have to ask for help.

Looking to book RT award tickets for this weekend. Saver awards are available presently and I'd like to grab them, but it's possibly within 24 hours we may find out something that'd cause us to cancel the trip.

United's current policy seems to suggest that I'd have to pay cancellation fees to void these tickets within 24 hours (since its <1 week). However, from what I read here, United does not appear to be enforcing such cancellation fees. Am I right?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smatter
United's current policy seems to suggest that I'd have to pay cancellation fees to void these tickets within 24 hours (since its <1 week). However, from what I read here, United does not appear to be enforcing such cancellation fees. Am I right?
I've yet to see a report of UA refusing to honor refund requests within 24 hours, regardless of whether or not the booking is 7 days out.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
24 Hour Cancellation Policy - Time of Ticket

Hi

Was pondering canceling a ticket w/in the 24 hour window (I think) and was trying to find the time I bought the ticket yesterday. Looked online at my receipt but don't see any time on it.

What do they use for "time" and where can I find it?

Thanks
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Hi

Was pondering canceling a ticket w/in the 24 hour window (I think) and was trying to find the time I bought the ticket yesterday. Looked online at my receipt but don't see any time on it.

What do they use for "time" and where can I find it?

Thanks
Did you receive a confirmation email from UA? That email has a time stamp. If not, call UA and CSR will inform you.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Pull up the reservation in your account (Via "Manage Reservations").

Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:21 am

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Did you receive a confirmation email from UA? That email has a time stamp. If not, call UA and CSR will inform you.
I'm sure I did, but must have deleted it.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead

Thanks for sharing.

Home>Manage Reservations>View Current Reservation

I see

United Confirmation Number XXXXXX
This reservation has been ticketed and confirmed.

There is no date and time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
YMMV, but I've (on a couple occasions) been lucky canceling up to midnight the day after purchase under the 24 hour policy. Don't hesitate to call and ask.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by DCEsquire
I'm sure I did, but must have deleted it.
Next time, do not delete so quickly.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead

Thanks! That's it. It's not in the receipt oddly enough.

And for the person that said to use the time stamp on the email - I found the email - and it's about 58 minutes after the actual booking interestingly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.