Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...

Old Sep 16, 2014, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Related topic: Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, BE waiver

United;s web page: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ng-policy.html

United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy
and Ticket refund policies - Booking service fees
April 2020
We know that life happens, and you may need to change your travel plans unexpectedly. United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price. Although Basic Economy reservations aren’t eligible for changes within 24 hours, they’re still eligible for a full refund if you cancel within 24 hours and you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. Please view the terms and conditions below for more details.Terms and conditions
  • Applies to tickets booked at united.com, United City Ticket Offices, airport ticket counters or with the United Customer Contact Center.
  • The 24-hour timeframe begins at the time you book and ticket your reservation.
  • Requests for refunds will be credited back in the original form of payment, except for purchases made with a United Gift Certificate, which will be credited back in the form of electronic travel certificates.
  • Group tickets are subject to the terms of the group contract.
  • Tickets purchased using e-certificates are excluded. (New April 2020)
  • Reservations that are being held but have not yet been purchased are excluded.
  • Any FareLock® fees paid to hold a reservation will not be refunded.
Previous wording - Dec 2019
Spoiler

Note: United refers to this as "United’s 24-hour flexible booking policy", not just cancellations. UA includes routing changes, pricing changes, fare class changes, ..... as well as simple cancellations. But the timeframe is based on the original purchases and not reset by a change. Only a cancellation and then separate rebooking would achieve that.

Reservation booking service fees and close-in booking fees for award tickets are refundable only if you cancel your reservation within 24 hours of purchase. These sometimes may take an extra request.

Starting 2016Q4 ticket receipts state
Refunds Within 24 Hours

When you book and ticket a reservation through united.com, the United mobile app, the United Customer Contact Center, at our ticket counters or city ticket offices, or if you use MileagePlus® miles to book an award ticket, we will allow you to cancel the ticketed reservation without penalty and receive a 100 percent refund of the ticket price to the original form of payment if you cancel the reservation within 24 hours of purchase and if the reservation is made one week or more prior to scheduled flight departure.
The website link does now mention the 7 day restriction (new 2017Q2) and the CoCs has contained the 7 day restriction for awhile. This is allowed by the DoT rules. However, no reports yet of UA enforcing the 7 day restriction.

DOT 24 refund rule, announcement
DOT requires airlines to either hold a reservation for 24 hours without payment or refund a paid ticket — even a non-refundable one — if you cancel within 24 hours of purchase and you purchased your ticket more than 7 days before your flight.

Airlines are free to choose between holding a reservation without payment in these circumstances or refunding after payment; they don’t have to offer both options. ...
76 Fed. Reg. 23110, 23166, Apr. 25, 2011

Further DOT Guidance on 24 hour rule
Note the present UA implementation in practice is more generous -- no 7 day limitation enforcement as of yet.
UA's 24 hour rule was in place long before the DOT requirement .

Note -- a changed ticket does not get a new 24-hour free cancel period -- that benefit only applies to the original purchase.

Does the 24 hour rule apply to award tickets?
Yes

Does the 24 hour rule apply to close in bookings?
Yes but cancellation must be done before scheduled departure.
While the policy revision in 2018 add the DOT allowed 7-day exemption, UA has generally allowed this and not enforced the 7-day exemption. There has been just one FT reported situation where the 7-day was enforced and it had other factors.

In the case of credit card purchases, on a cancellation, the credit charge may be left pending and never finalized. So in the end it is as if it never happen.

Basic Economy tickets -- are they projected by the 24 hour rule?
Yes, UA is allowing cancellation of BE tickets in the first 24 hour (consistent with DOT requirements. But as UA allows changes also of other fares in the first 24 hours, it will not allow that of BE . The distinction is minor but

Book a reservation with ETC but cancelled with 24 hours, will the ETC be refunded?
Yes it should but UA can be rather slow on this and occasionally will drop the ball. You may need to followup. Note the refunded ETC will have the same expiration as the original ETC. (So, not a way to extend the ETC ) -- Note in late 2020, UA's practice does seem to have changed to issuing NEW ETCs

Archive thread: United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ... {Archive}
Print Wikipost

United’s 24-hour cancellation / flexible booking policy ...

Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Did you submit a formal refund request? If that fails, a charge dispute (if within time period) seems appropriate.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:28 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by findark
Did you submit a formal refund request? If that fails, a charge dispute (if within time period) seems appropriate.
Refund already processed to "gift accounting" since October. Where the credit card portion of the refund went is what I need assistance with.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The refund request is usually the best way to get the most qualified front-line team at United to examine your claim. This should be as simple as "card x0123 was tendered for $xxx of ticket 016xxxxx, refund should have been issued in this amount" but you need to get someone qualified to do the necessary accounting forensics. I am skeptical a chat support agent is the person to do this.

If normal channels are exhausted, a DOT complaint is a good way to get United to look at a more senior level, and a chargeback is a good way to get your money.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by findark
... a chargeback is a good way to get your money.
and potentially faster. Need to do within 120 days of the cancellation.
Old Dec 20, 2022, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Is DoT/credit card dispute the best approach at resolving the following?

Booked domestic US ticket in October. Partial paid with travel bank and credit card. Cancelled within 24 hours.

Portion paid with travel bank back in travel back but credit card portion not in my card. Two UA chat sessions in November mentioned it was refunded to "gift accounting" which they indicate is travel bank. It's not in my travel bank.

UA chat refund agent passes me to Mileage Plus chat agent who then passes me to reservations chat agent who then escalates and promises a response in 3-4 business days. No response. Chatted again with them just now (3rd time) and same thing. Refund->MP->Reservations->escalated and wait for response.
Stop using chat and call in between 7am-430p central. Ask to be transferred to refunds as you have an issue with your refund request. Have the refund request number, or eTicket or PNR ready so they can pull up the actual activity. Most of chat can't access the sales database that contains the information where the money flowed to. A good chunk of chat is also outsourced, and it sounds like the agents may be misunderstanding what you are trying to get figured out, especially if they keep saying "gift accounting". You can tell 100000% times easier if the person is misunderstanding you if you're talking to them on the phone vs through a text chat.
seawolf, SPN Lifer and findark like this.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Dec 20, 2022 at 1:36 pm
Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:30 pm

I booked a Basic Economy flight last night 8pm. It is 6:30pm now - less than 24 hours has past since my booking. Yet when I tried to cancel my reservation, it says the refund will be towrards Future flight credit (FFC) AFTER a Basic Economy cancellation charge of -$199.00?

It looks like from the thread the 24-hour flexible policy is not really 24-hour?

What should I do in this case?

thanks
Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by dchobo
I booked a Basic Economy flight last night 8pm. It is 6:30pm now - less than 24 hours has past since my booking. Yet when I tried to cancel my reservation, it says the refund will be towrards Future flight credit (FFC) AFTER a Basic Economy cancellation charge of -$199.00?

It looks like from the thread the 24-hour flexible policy is not really 24-hour?

What should I do in this case?

thanks
Did you buy the ticket less than 7 days before departure?
Old Jan 14, 2023, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Did you buy the ticket less than 7 days before departure?
No, it's for mid Feb travel... international flight. Not sure if it make a difference?
During booking, it did say cancel within 24-hour is OK.

*** UPDATE ***

Well, I managed to get it cancelled over the phone with full refund.

I called the UA reservation number (1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331)) and was connected in minutes. The lady at the other end said the system indicated that my booking is more than 24 hour, but after checking the ticketing time, confirmed it's still within the 24 hour. She needed to contact their support team and after about 20+ mins finally got the reservation cancelled. She explained the system has incorrect time and required manual checking to override it... .. United???

Anyways I will be keeping an eye on the CC refund which is supposed to come in ~7 business days.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 14, 2023 at 8:56 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 15, 2023, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
dchobo - glad you got it resolved. Wisdom on here would have said you had to call United to fix this.

I ran into the same issue with a revenue (non-BE) ticket two weeks ago. I was bumping up to the 24 hour mark but was definitely under it. Website refused to refund but rather wanted to issue an FFC. A call to the 1K line sorted that problem out. The 1K agent also said it appeared to be older than 24 hours but then looked at the ticketing time as well.

United might be running on a backup computer to issue tickets which has the wrong timestamp

-RM
dchobo likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
These issues should be reported to the US DOT ... without that ... UA will never fix the underlying issue
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2023, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
dchobo - glad you got it resolved. Wisdom on here would have said you had to call United to fix this.

I ran into the same issue with a revenue (non-BE) ticket two weeks ago. I was bumping up to the 24 hour mark but was definitely under it. Website refused to refund but rather wanted to issue an FFC. A call to the 1K line sorted that problem out. The 1K agent also said it appeared to be older than 24 hours but then looked at the ticketing time as well.

United might be running on a backup computer to issue tickets which has the wrong timestamp

-RM
Thanks and this thread definitely helped! In a way I was lucky not to wait till the last minute of the 24-hour window, which allows me to scan parts of this thread, post a question, and get through to an UA agent. Hopefully this will help others who are in the same predicament.

I have definitely used UA's 24-hour cancellation policy several times over the past years - but mostly canceled the reservations within ~18 hours (I think). In the past, I have also noticed their clock is somewhat messed up. UA used to have a "pay-in-person" option that allows you to hold a reservation till midnight of the 3rd day. But the reservation always get cancelled hours in advance of midnight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2023, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Also encountered the same issue that dchobo did, both in the app and on the website, albeit with a paid J fare rather than a BE fare. 1K agent quickly issued the refund.

Last edited by dkc192; Jan 23, 2023 at 7:43 pm
Old Feb 20, 2023, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Website and app are back at it again. Only offering FFC when trying to cancel a PNR within 22 hours of booking.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by dkc192
Website and app are back at it again. Only offering FFC when trying to cancel a PNR within 22 hours of booking.
Sadly, time to call.

David
Old Mar 12, 2023, 10:37 pm

24 Hour Cancellation Policy and ticket Bought Less Than 7 Days Before Departure

The UA website seems fairly clear - the 24 hour cancellation policy does not apply to tickets booked less than a week before departure.
"United's 24-hour flexible booking policy gives you the freedom to make changes to select reservations within 24 hours of booking and ticketing, without being charged change fees if you made your purchase one week or more before the flight was scheduled to depart. This includes canceling your reservation and requesting a full refund of the ticket price". https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...ticket%20price.
Earlier today I bought a "fully refundable" ticket for a trip I thought I might need to take today. I bought the fully refundable ticket on the assumption that nothing else would be refundable. Turns out I didn't need to fly, so I refunded the ticket. In the flow in the app to request the refund there was this message:
"You're eligible to cancel without paying a fee under our 24-hour flexible booking policy"
My understanding was I was eligible to cancel without penalty because I had a refundable ticket, not because of the 24-hour rule. If I had known for certain that the 24-hour rule applied to tickets bought less than 7 days before departure, I would have bought a cheaper ticket.

So which is it - does the 24-hour cancellation rule apply to tickets bought less than 7 days before departure or not?
​​​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.