Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Anyone getting through the 1k line or any line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone getting through the 1k line or any line?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by ezefllying

I've got a lot of sympathy for the company here. This is an extraordinary event. This is not like the post-3/3 debacle -- no rebooking system can avoid this hurricane. It's just the weather, and it's bad.
Absolutely - and people wondered why they cancelled flights so far ahead of time. It would have been much worse if they waited.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ezefllying
To give you a little sense of perspective, I just spoke with a United agent who told me that, as of this morning, United had over 3000 calls on hold. I don't know if this was the Premier line she was referring to, though I suspect that number was systemwide.

Keep in mind that these are probably especially long calls for agents -- they're searching multiple flight options, manually changing tickets, waiving connection rules and making executive decisions regarding rebooking a Y pax in C or F. Everyone they speak with is distressed. Many have the complexity of multi-pax bookings, including with kids, and are trying to be seated together (or even get out on the same flight). So it's not merely the number of calls; it's their length.

I'm guessing the average call to UA is now about 6-8 minutes, with many far above that. That's 18,000-24,0000 minutes of calls simply on hold, with more coming in. If average hold time is one hour (just a guess), UA has 300-400 hours of calls on hold each hour, requiring 300-400 agents to be on the phone constantly. Even with emergency staffing, I doubt UA has the manpower to tackle that.

The only things that allow them to even confront that call are (a) night, when some pax simply won't be calling and volume drops; (b) those who hang up in frustration; and (c) those who can and do go to the airport for changes (or, when possible, do so online).

I've got a lot of sympathy for the company here. This is an extraordinary event. This is not like the post-3/3 debacle -- no rebooking system can avoid this hurricane. It's just the weather, and it's bad.
Very well described. But there are too many DYKWIA elites that think it doesn't matter, they should be taken care of in less than a minute no matter what the circumstances.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dahaberm
I got hung up on and redirected to the website where there is an error message... so that doesn't work either
I have tried IK line and the regular line several times and get the same message "Try again later" and hung up on
My companion is on American. They had a 40 minute wait and then a pleasant agent made the change in 5 minutes.
Incredible.
I may be over entitled, but they should be able to put people on hold and then work their way down the line NOT just hang up on them.
Sheesh! Guys UA has 2 of their major hubs going down for what looks like 2 days with all the secondary ramifications of that. If DFW was getting shut down for 2 days you can bet that AA wouldn't be picking up any quicker while UA calls would probably get a quick answer. And even good call directors (the systems that hold and distribute calls) have capacity limits. Sure it would be better if the web site were more capable (although in a case like this my guess is that most rebooks wouldn't be all that easy to automate) but the expectations on this one are really unrealistic for UA or any entity to live up to. I would actually guess that if a lot of folks who are simply being cancelled out of trips did nothing until things calmed down that would help a lot. After all, if you aren't going and you are simply going to get a refund it isn't all that critical that you call the get the refund started TODAY. That would leave more capacity for real rebooks but even a lot of those probably aren't as urgent to complete as folks think (other than people that need the first available out and want to get it before it fills - which really isn't everyone).
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Very well described. But there are too many DYKWIA elites that think it doesn't matter, they should be taken care of in less than a minute no matter what the circumstances.
..a minute?? I need to be answered in no more than two rings or my business fails...waiti think they should call me as I start to reach for my phone....
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:44 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
In the storm of 2009 Dec across the east coast, my IAD-FRA flight was canceled and I waited 4 hrs on hold to change my ticket from Sat the 19th Dec 2009 to the 22nd Tuesday.
Had to change my travel from Biz to F; well worth the 40k increase for LH F all the way.

I think asking for quick pick up is crazy; however, UA should enable online changes for no fee, (like they do upon check in for Plats and 1Ks on day of departure)
Doing so by having the system individualize travel reservations would only help them.
If they can do it for TOD upgrades, they should be able to do it for weather issues; why not have the system automatically flag all reservations impacted and allow changes up to 5 days ni same class of service?

There will still be need for an agent for complex itineraries, but this will lower wait times.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:47 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by weero
For the domestic LCC CO is turning into that is fine ... but currently they are an international airline. And given that my provider charges me 1.6$ per minute, this makes some $290 for that "first world problem" just to get an incompetent, apathetic, undertrained agent.

Historically I had to go to TG to get this kind of 'service', all centers being down for days in a row. But at least they just disconnected you, they did not make you wait.
Try skype from an internet connection;
worked well for us from HKG to get changes done to an award
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As a premier gold I waited 1 hour and 20 minutes. Took three minutes to change/improve my flights and push through an upgrade.

I will point out that my call was dropped twice at the 45 minute mark.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 1:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
I'm still wondering how the heck I got through in 15 seconds.
Perhaps I should buy a lottery ticket...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
UA with hubs at EWR and IAD is likely the most impacted of the four major carriers (although US at PHL is pretty bad off). AA is likely the least impacted with MIA in the past and DFW tucked away in Texas.
Could have sworn AA has a pretty large LGA/JFK operation...
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:11 pm

Programs: AS Gold, UA 2P, SPG Plat
my experience last night

I'm gold my wife is silver. Called on my phone and was on hold for three hours last night. Used my wife's phone as well after an 45 min on hold. My wife's call was answered after 1 hour 15 minutes. They had separated the reservations now on two pnrs but we got the last two seats on the early am bos-sfo flight.

I can understand a wait bu I'm Not sure why my call took longer to answer than my wife's.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
just got through twice in a row with no wait whatsoever and I have no status ... changed award ticket from weds 11pm to tuesday 11pm ... hopefully the inbound ac makes it, but tuesday afternoon looks manageable for the dc area weather wise
Old Oct 28, 2012, 7:32 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

I sent the 1k folks an email yesterday asking to extend the validity of a couple of upgrades, and received a response today.

The phones...no dice.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Screw the 1K line and call web support. My DEN-LGA flight today was cancelled last night. Called 1K line and waited on hold for 30 minutes before finally hanging up. Called web support, got answered in 3 minutes and they pushed my ticket to AA with no issue. Called again repeatedly throughout the night since my sister's JFK-LAX flight cancelled and my friend's DEN-EWR did too, and all times called web support and got through instantly.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: United, Hilton Honors
I called the premier line at around 4pm EST today and only waited about 10 min. I called the 1k line around 6pm and waited less than a minute.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 4:21 am

Programs: AA EXP (3.3m), UA1K (0.4m), SPG Lifetime Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, National Executive
Had to call 1K bag service 3 times over the last 48 hours. No delays here - got through instantly. So, if your bags get lost, you should be fine...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.