TATL upgrade, stick or switch

Old Oct 27, 12, 7:48 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: SLC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 483
TATL upgrade, stick or switch

Hi all, looking for input/suggestions on optimizing my chances for a economy->biz upgrade for an upcoming trip to Europe. I've been booked on UA46 (IAH-FRA) on 11/10 for about a month. Applied a GPU at booking, at which time there were about 30 biz seats available. Since that time I've watched the cabin fill, and at 2 weeks out I'm not cleared and there is between 1 (J fare bucket = 1) and 5 (5 unreserved seats on seat map) seats remaining.

I'm considering paying the change fee on my economy fare to switch to a routing that moves my TATL segment to UA906 (ORD-MUC), mainly to maximize my UG chances. Looks to be a lot more space remaining in biz on that flight (J=9) + it's a 3-cabin 767 so some seats may open as biz->first UGs are processed. It's a bit of a gamble, but I'd really like to clear as this will be the start of a busy and extended work trip. Am I right in reading that my chances look much better on 906 right now? What would you do?
eflyte is offline  
Old Oct 27, 12, 11:02 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,645
Originally Posted by eflyte View Post
Hi all, looking for input/suggestions on optimizing my chances for a economy->biz upgrade for an upcoming trip to Europe. I've been booked on UA46 (IAH-FRA) on 11/10 for about a month. Applied a GPU at booking, at which time there were about 30 biz seats available. Since that time I've watched the cabin fill, and at 2 weeks out I'm not cleared and there is between 1 (J fare bucket = 1) and 5 (5 unreserved seats on seat map) seats remaining.

I'm considering paying the change fee on my economy fare to switch to a routing that moves my TATL segment to UA906 (ORD-MUC), mainly to maximize my UG chances. Looks to be a lot more space remaining in biz on that flight (J=9) + it's a 3-cabin 767 so some seats may open as biz->first UGs are processed. It's a bit of a gamble, but I'd really like to clear as this will be the start of a busy and extended work trip. Am I right in reading that my chances look much better on 906 right now? What would you do?
1. If I were you, I'd monitor R space on all acceptable routes to Europe, and if there is a route with R space open, then jump on it, and confirm the GPU into it.

2. As for the guessing game above, check back with us 3-4 days before departure. I don't think it's wise to jump from one queue to another this far out, as things can change rapidly. And part of your priority is date added to waitlist, so by jumping around, you give that up.
FlyWorld is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: