Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

1K Success Calling to Change Tickets w/o Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond

I have been wanting to cancel a trip that I've got coming up and have been waiting for a schedule change so I could cancel without the $150 change fee.

I noticed a small schedule change today so I called to cancel. She said the rule (she thinks) is that the change has to result in a misconnect or bump the flight 90 minutes forward or backward (which my schedule change did not create).

However, she said, as a 1K, she would be willing to apply the full amount of the ticket (without change fee) to a new ticket for me on the phone. She said this isn't necessarily policy, but something that they'll do for 1K's. I didn't have new flight details available, but when I do, I am going to call back and request that they do that.

Do other 1Ks that need to cancel know about this and use this frequently, I wonder? Thoughts?

One amazing perk would be to make this official policy that 1K's get "free" changes a la Southwest Airlines (as long as it was done online as to not take up phone staff time). Maybe this is an unofficial policy that offers essentially the same benfit.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry

It's not a defined perk. When you call back, you'll learn you'll have to pay the change fee. Minor schedule changes are doubtful to create any inconvenience.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rgrunnah
... I noticed a small schedule change today so I called to cancel. She said the rule (she thinks) is that the change has to result in a misconnect or bump the flight 90 minutes forward or backward (which my schedule change did not create). ...
for 90 mins / 2hours - that is policy

...However, she said, as a 1K, she would be willing to apply the full amount of the ticket (without change fee) to a new ticket for me on the phone. She said this isn't necessarily policy, but something that they'll do for 1K's. ...
agent was correct, that is not policy but occasionally an agent will do it. However, you should have taken advantage of it when offered. The next agent is likely not to offer it.

In a recent 1K Desk experience (and it was answered as 1K Desk) and was informed on the method for getting a partial refund of the change fee but no offer to waive the fee. No grounds for requesting anything else since that is stated policy.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: UA: MM
I've made a number of changes through the 1K line and not been charged a fee. This included tickets for my wife and son when we were traveling on a family holiday.

I did call once and got a non-1K operator who was going to charge me the $150 (flying home from BWI and using the desk phone at the check in counter). I tried again using my mobile to the 1K line and the change was made for free.

Perhaps I've just been lucky with the 1K line...

FWIW
DLM
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by dmunz
I've made a number of changes through the 1K line and not been charged a fee. This included tickets for my wife and son when we were traveling on a family holiday.

I did call once and got a non-1K operator who was going to charge me the $150 (flying home from BWI and using the desk phone at the check in counter). I tried again using my mobile to the 1K line and the change was made for free.

Perhaps I've just been lucky with the 1K line...

FWIW
DLM
Interesting! Were you talking about award ticket? or revenue ticket?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by lax2010
Interesting! Were you talking about award ticket? or revenue ticket?
I always thought this only applied to an award ticket. Changes to a revenue ticket were not free of charge, regardless of status ( well, maybe GS ).
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Yeah, I've never been successful here either. I was told I would have to pay a $250 change fee (+$250 fare difference) to upfare from L to W recently.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have also tried this a couple of times over the past year or two without success. Sounds like you were very lucky - let us know if you are able to replicate it if/when you phone back!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I have been wanting to cancel a trip that I've got coming up and have been waiting for a schedule change so I could cancel without the $150 change fee.

I noticed a small schedule change today so I called to cancel. She said the rule (she thinks) is that the change has to result in a misconnect or bump the flight 90 minutes forward or backward (which my schedule change did not create).

However, she said, as a 1K, she would be willing to apply the full amount of the ticket (without change fee) to a new ticket for me on the phone. She said this isn't necessarily policy, but something that they'll do for 1K's. I didn't have new flight details available, but when I do, I am going to call back and request that they do that.

Do other 1Ks that need to cancel know about this and use this frequently, I wonder? Thoughts?

One amazing perk would be to make this official policy that 1K's get "free" changes a la Southwest Airlines (as long as it was done online as to not take up phone staff time). Maybe this is an unofficial policy that offers essentially the same benfit.
You may not have the same luck when you call back. You should have bought a refundable ticket immediately using the full amount of the ticket and cancel later.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
+1 - OP will have no beef if he calls back and the answer is no. Worse, the CSR's often note that you called, asked and were denied, making it very difficult to be successful by ending the call and calling back.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM

if 1Ks get free changes, who in the world would then buy their extortionately priced flexible fares? 1Ks (rather their employers) are the only ones who buy these fares!
Old Oct 27, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
I always thought this only applied to an award ticket. Changes to a revenue ticket were not free of charge, regardless of status ( well, maybe GS ).
Well, my understanding is that the OP was discussing change fee for revenue ticket. Howeve, poster dmunz on post #4 seemed to indicate that he/she was able to have the change fee waived.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 7:34 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
In my 1.5 million miles flying UA I have had this happen to me once and I was floored when it happened. I think you may have missed your opportunity window.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K
When I have called in after a schedule change I have routinely been offered the opportunity to change my reservation with no change fee no matter how small the time change. However, I have not been in OP's situation of wanting to change so have rarely made a change unless the new times were really a problem.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doug 1029
You may not have the same luck when you call back. You should have bought a refundable ticket immediately using the full amount of the ticket and cancel later.
A correctly reissued ticket will should the original non-ref amount as non-ref.@:-) If you have a $300 non-ref ticket and you are able to purchase a $400 ref ticket without fee, the new ticket should show $300 non-ref in the endorsement box.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.