Wiki Posts
Search

Recent experiences in UA Global First

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by highflier1979
IMHO, the GF seat --which is very important -- is the only thing United has going for it. The rest of the First experience is sub-par....sadly.
Surely not the IFE that, while not at EK or SQ levels, is better than most.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by 1015-1k
... (Note that there are no extra sheets as you alluded to...it's just laying down a damn pad, unless there is some maternalistic tuck in going on that I'm not aware of.)

Then again, I'm one to not fully appreciate the hotel's turndown service. I can turn the corner of my own duvet and I never use the slippers. I do appreciate the extra bottle of water provided but they could just provide that at normal maid service.

Superfluous 'extra services' are more often a pain in the butt than they are worth and i'll stand by this one as being in that category.
maternalistic tuck... that made me blush, and laugh.

Come to think of it, I didn't notice this turn-down service on my recent NRT-SFO in GF. There was no soup in the menu, either.

Hotel turn-down service is OK when I'm not in the room. Otherwise, I feel awkward. If chocolates are placed on the nightstand or bed, that's even better. I like and use the slippers.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 2:47 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by 5khours
it would be nice if they took the plastic off all the blankets, amenities, etc. before your board. I really hate getting stuff in plastic wrappers.
The point of the wrappers is to reassure you that someone else has not had all this stuff before you got to it — i.e. that it has not been recycled from another passenger.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 4:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Will UA provide PJ's on overnight GF flights in the future? AA has been offering them for about 6-12 months now, although they are throw away quality IMO.

Do they serve better wine and champagne on GF vs. BF?

I recently experienced NRT's IFL and found it to be a nice quiet oasis on the 2nd floor compared to a seemingly crowded UC downstairs.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 6:27 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
Glx, I'm fully aware of the new mattress pad and turn down service offered. I watched as a fellow F passenger accepted this service. He stood up and waited there awkwardly while a FA layed down the pad that was provided to him in advance. He located the pad he had stored upon takeoff and handed it to her. Very odd experience. I just do it myself and avoid the weird ordeal.
While I understand the awkwardness you allude to I've never felt awkward asking for this. Ask for turndown service......Go put some sweatpants/ pajamas/sleeping stuff on.....return to seat and sleep...end of story.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
While I understand the awkwardness you allude to I've never felt awkward asking for this. Ask for turndown service......Go put some sweatpants/ pajamas/sleeping stuff on.....return to seat and sleep...end of story.
When my wife and I got "turned down" from HKG to ORD, we hadn't seen the pads prior to the service. The whole event took about 30 seconds, so hardly any "awkwardness" at all. Just a nice, though incremental, touch. For example, I would gladly trade it for the old caviar service. Now that was First Class...I recall my first FC TPAC flight in ~'92, where they were passing out the caviar with an ice cream scoop!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by JDT1955
When my wife and I got "turned down" from HKG to ORD, we hadn't seen the pads prior to the service. The whole event took about 30 seconds, so hardly any "awkwardness" at all. Just a nice, though incremental, touch. For example, I would gladly trade it for the old caviar service. Now that was First Class...I recall my first FC TPAC flight in ~'92, where they were passing out the caviar with an ice cream scoop!
Hopefully not a metal scoop, whch could adversely impact the delicate flavor of the caviar.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Hopefully not a metal scoop, whch could adversely impact the delicate flavor of the caviar.
Good point, though I can't honestly recall...at that point of life, I didn't know any better! Sadly, some time in the mid 90s they started with "caviar or appetizer" option and then it just went away altogether. Ironically, these days you can get some pretty decent farmed caviar for not much money, and it really would be a nice touch...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by Air Houston
Was at Per Se last month...had the nice pearl spoons. Thomas Keller as United's new meal head??
Old Nov 25, 2012, 11:24 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmmm . . . I'll have to find a new way to describe UA GF. I used to say "foriegn-flag carriers offer turndown service whereas UA offers downturn service", but I guess UA now offers both.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:08 pm

While many have mentioned LX and LH GF service as being superior, I saw in this thread only one passing reference to the best GF service of all and this is TG (Thai Airways). Their lounge in BKK is definitely the best I have seen (though I have not been in them all )

The last time I flew EK, the overhead bins were opening on take-off and contents spilling on the floor. And everyone was getting up and moving around just as the plane landed---couldn't believe it.

I have only ever travelled in BF on UA, but was OK with that. Again, not a single airline I have ever flown on compares to TG.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by pmaclell
While many have mentioned LX and LH GF service as being superior, I saw in this thread only one passing reference to the best GF service of all and this is TG (Thai Airways). Their lounge in BKK is definitely the best I have seen (though I have not been in them all )

The last time I flew EK, the overhead bins were opening on take-off and contents spilling on the floor. And everyone was getting up and moving around just as the plane landed---couldn't believe it.

I have only ever travelled in BF on UA, but was OK with that. Again, not a single airline I have ever flown on compares to TG.
Agree on the lounge. One of the nicest. Inflight product is a little mixed though.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Glx, I'm fully aware of the new mattress pad and turn down service offered. I watched as a fellow F passenger accepted this service. He stood up and waited there awkwardly while a FA layed down the pad that was provided to him in advance. He located the pad he had stored upon takeoff and handed it to her. Very odd experience. I just do it myself and avoid the weird ordeal. (Note that there are no extra sheets as you alluded to...it's just laying down a damn pad, unless there is some maternalistic tuck in going on that I'm not aware of.)

Then again, I'm one to not fully appreciate the hotel's turndown service. I can turn the corner of my own duvet and I never use the slippers. I do appreciate the extra bottle of water provided but they could just provide that at normal maid service.

Superfluous 'extra services' are more often a pain in the butt than they are worth and i'll stand by this one as being in that category.
I'm with ya on this one. I don't like being served. I've been too used to self service that I'd feel awkward letting others pamper me. Perhaps that's the engineer in me, just have to do everything myself

Heck, if next time I'm flying in GF and the seat breaks, I'll ask the FA for a few tools and go dig into the seat and fix the darn thing myself! Figure it'd be cool to go down there and take a look at all the gears under the seat...
Old Nov 25, 2012, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
Just flew GF to/from Dubai and very pleased. Service on both was excellent! On the way over, the purser brought a fresh glass with fresh ice and lemon every time I finished my water instead of just topping off the glass I already had at my seat. On the way back, the purser sat on the little shelf next to my seat to chat, explain food options, take orders, etc. Very homey and friendly. The appetizer course is a post-merger upgrade, as is the size of the soup bowl. Personally I like the CO vanilla-only ice cream sundae instead of the mixed flavors you had on the pre-merger UA but that's personal choice. The champagne was acceptable. The port was downgraded before the merger and remains downgraded. You still get two pillows, a decent blanket, ton of storage space, and privacy. The IFL in IAD continues to be a joke, as does the fact there is no arrivals facility there. I like the IFL in Chicago much better. On the whole, I find UA FC inching (just inching--and improvements are relative) in the right direction although certainly agree with those who suggest LX for your miles. Screw the connection--ZRH is the easiest airport to make the connection and LX FC is simply amazing, especially the seat and food.
Being as LX is now blocking F availability to US and UA for award redemptions that would be quite a feat...

I actually think the GF hard product is excellent, I don't have any complaints with it. If UA truly wanted to compete with the big boys (which I doubt they do), they would need to following:

- FA's who actually care / want to be there and make the F pax their priority, not their own ease / enjoyment of the flight.
- Better wines/champagnes
- Better food
- PJ's
- Mattress pad / turn down service

A carrier like BA doesn't have ultras premium champagnes or caviar, and their hard product (even new first) isn't some major upgrade from the GF suite. It's shocking how far some cheap PJ's, quality food and FA's who take pride in their work go.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Nov 26, 2012 at 7:32 am Reason: merge
Old Nov 26, 2012, 1:37 am

Programs: Virgin Aus Platinum; UA 1K; Sofitel Platinum (A-Club); Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold / Premium Club
Flew SFO-SYD UA863 on 24 November. The Global First lounge at SFO was great (probably the best part of the experience) sans some of the food that looked like it had been sitting around for hrs. We were called for boarding at around 9:40pm and arrived to what looked like 80+ people trying to board via Elite Access Group 1. Why they don't allow Global First to board with Global Services is beyond me - just insane.

Once onboard - around 10pm - we were offered a pre-boarding drink. We then sat till around 12:40pm while the mechanics tried to rectify a mechanical fault with one of the doors (something you want to make sure works!). The crew did not offer anything during this time - but I guess they did not know how long the delay might be.

Service once inflight was swift and very friendly. The meal seemed to be exactly the same as what one would get in BusinessFirst - but possibly on a bigger plate. I find UA's food to be some of the worst in the industry, and was truly surprised they make no real effort to spend more on the global first meal service (sans an awful fried prawn and soup).

The seat itself was comfortable (I find the BF seats a bit too short with their tight foot well) - but it was not a difference I would pay a massive premium for. The passenger across from me mentioned this seemed a bit worse than business class on other Asian carriers.

Overall - the crew was very friendly and responsive. That being said the aircraft are really showing their age and the mechanical issues are really starting to impact my trips (3 issues out of my past 4 transpac flights). Upon landing we had a wonderful complementary shower -- i.e. it sounded like ice pouring out of a massive ice machine and then water started dripping from the overheads on both sides of first class. Not sure what pipe might have burst -- but I am guessing the SYD based mechanics had a bit of work to do post flight!

The new bedding seems to be a thin layer with a bit of padding that you lay over the seat. An improvement I guess - but not really that noticeable.

Overall - It is what it is. I don't fault the FA's at all as they were exceptional - but when you have archaic aircraft and crappy food - it takes a lot to make it look like the Ritz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.