Help/Advice with Routing: DCA/IAD-LAX

Old Oct 25, 12, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
Help/Advice with Routing: DCA/IAD-LAX

I'm looking for DCA/IAD-LAX routing advice. I know I can go direct from IAD-LAX, but IAD is a pain to get to. I would like to get a better flight out of going to a more convenient airport, with the mild pain of connecting.I've never flown PS, and thought this might be an opportunity to do so. Anyone have tips/advice if this is possible departing DCA/IAD?

Would I have to connect in JFK? Looking for direct United flights from DCA, it looks like my only option is Newark. Does United fly PS flights from EWR into LAX?

If it is possible, would C on PS (JFK-LAX) be worth the hassle over F on the IAD-LAX route?

Any other options?

Thanks
Old Oct 25, 12, 10:46 pm

Programs: PMUA
I took a flight from DCA to LAX via ORD not a long time. The amount of time you waste while connecting, it is easier to drive extra 35 minutes to Dulles and catch non-stop to LAX. Connecting at EWR is just crazy idea, IMHO.
Old Oct 25, 12, 10:48 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 100% Green View Post
... Would I have to connect in JFK? ...
for PS, yes
... Does United fly PS flights from EWR into LAX? ...
no

... If it is possible, would C on PS (JFK-LAX) be worth the hassle over F on the IAD-LAX route? ...
depends on what you define as hassle. C on PS >> domestic F seats, by a long shot but a connecting UX flight to JFK is a pain.

Are you looking to book the premium cabin or upgrade? PS is probably easier presently for upgrades
Old Oct 25, 12, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Karlson View Post
I took a flight from DCA to LAX via ORD not a long time. The amount of time you waste while connecting, it is easier to drive extra 35 minutes to Dulles and catch non-stop to LAX. Connecting at EWR is just crazy idea, IMHO.
TY for reply/

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
for PS, yes
no

depends on what you define as hassle. C on PS >> domestic F seats, by a long shot but a connecting UX flight to JFK is a pain.

Are you looking to book the premium cabin or upgrade? PS is probably easier presently for upgrades
TY for reply. Using my elementary search tools, it looks like the only flights DCA-JFK are on American and Delta, making this routing pretty difficult. Anything i'm missing here?

I would be upgrading from economy.
Old Oct 25, 12, 11:00 pm
Suspended

I should be shot for saying this on a UA forum but consider Alaska Airlines flight 5 DCA-LAX non-stop. 910am-1152 am. LAX-DCA is 1255 pm to 9 pm.
Old Oct 25, 12, 11:00 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
DCA-SFO-LAX is also now a once-daily option.
Old Oct 26, 12, 6:16 am
Original Poster

There seems to be one 777 that flies the IAD-LAX route a day, and the rest are a mixture of narrow body jets. Any advice on which is preferred? 777 C or 737 F or A320 F? (I don't fly domestic often, and when I do, it's usually RJ's)
Old Oct 26, 12, 6:50 am

Programs: UA 1K MM | Marriott LTT | National Car EE
Talking

There seems to be one 777 that flies the IAD-LAX route a day, and the rest are a mixture of narrow body jets. Any advice on which is preferred? 777 C or 737 F or A320 F? (I don't fly domestic often, and when I do, it's usually RJ's)
UA "old config" C on the 777 is still superior to regular domestic F cabins on the narrowbodies. service is still basically the same, but the hard product includes old international seats w/ footrests and substantially more recline than what you find in the PMUA Airbus + 757 and PMCO 737 + 753. i slept 3 out of 4 hours on the LAX -> IAD yesterday on the PMUA 777 in C.

without knowing your constraints, i can't say if its worth schlepping out to IAD.

if you need to stick with UA and prefer to fly out of DCA, the DCA -> SFO -> LAX may be a decent option. the DCA -> SFO route is serviced by a 737-700 with 12 seats in F, but if you are far enough out you may be able to find space to confirm into immediately. i was served a Sundae on SFO -> DCA in the front cabin. i'll also say that i slept about 3 out of the 4.5 hours on this flight as well.
Old Oct 26, 12, 6:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
TY for reply. Using my elementary search tools, it looks like the only flights DCA-JFK are on American and Delta, making this routing pretty difficult. Anything i'm missing here?
UA only serves IAD, LAX, and SFO from JFK. You're probably better off connecting in IAH/ORD from DCA if you don't want to deal with IAD nonstops. (I can't see how a connection from IAD would be any better.)

Originally Posted by 797-3 View Post
I should be shot for saying this on a UA forum but consider Alaska Airlines flight 5 DCA-LAX non-stop. 910am-1152 am. LAX-DCA is 1255 pm to 9 pm.
AA has a nonstop of its own as well now.
Old Oct 26, 12, 8:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Be aware that the daily 777 IAD<>LAX goes away November 3rd, replaced by domestic narrow body aircraft.
Old Oct 26, 12, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I would be upgrading from economy.
Good Luck. Those are 3 of the most difficult flights to upgrade from because of the # of people who buy up outright.
Old Oct 26, 12, 9:17 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Discoverist
Also UA flies a couple 752's daily from EWR-LAX with BF seating...
Old Oct 26, 12, 10:30 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Does United fly PS flights from EWR into LAX?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
no
Haven't EWR-LAX/SFO been upgraded/ designated [p]PS? The first "p" is for pseudo

Those flights have been given international catering w/ table linens, printed menus and champagne. Granted the seat is the same domestic F (unless you catch a sCO 752) as any other flight but the F experience has been upgraded. Also there is no WiFi or GFL access.

Note: The international catering, menus, linens, champagne are all things I have experienced myself. The pPS came from a sUA FA last week who told me that they were asking staff to call EWR-LAX/SFO PS as a "branding/ exclusivity" thing.

IMHO: If it isn't domestic 3 cabin it isn't PS.
Old Oct 26, 12, 11:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Haven't EWR-LAX/SFO been upgraded/ designated [p]PS? The first "p" is for pseudo ...
upgraded catering yes -- but as you mention ...

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
...Those flights have been given international catering w/ table linens, printed menus and champagne. Granted the seat is the same domestic F (unless you catch a sCO 752) as any other flight but the F experience has been upgraded. Also there is no WiFi or GFL access. ...
so still far from PS at the moment.
Old Oct 26, 12, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP75K, UA Gold
there is the occasional business first 757 flights from EWR-LAX but i believe those are impossible to get upgraded on.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: