Earning MileagePlus PQM Credits on COPA / CM

Old Jan 24, 12, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: COdbaUA 1K, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, Omni Black, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Earning MileagePlus PQM Credits on COPA / CM

I'm in the midst of a long weekend in Nicaragua that I booked on Copa. Put in my OP number and upgraded on all legs, which is quite cool. Any indication as to how long it takes miles to post? My outbound was Saturday and the miles still haven't posted.
Old Jan 24, 12, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA-PLT
My experience on about 50 segments on COPA in 2011:

- Base miles typically post in 3 to 9 days.
- Bonus EQM from booking on COPA.com (if applicable) post in 7 to 14 days.

I would not worry until 14 days has passed from the flight date.
Old Oct 23, 12, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Earning on COPA / CM

Just snagged one of the great JFK-PTY-LIM D fares, and it's pretty obvious on united.com that it earns 150% EQM - great deal! Also very clear it earns 150% RDM on the fare.

What's not clear...do 1K earn 100% bonus miles on CM or not? Would make sense since MP is their program too, but, I've found things don't always make sense these days. I'm booking it either way to see Peru and get the 10,000+ EQM for a bargain, just would like to know how many RDM to expect.
Old Oct 23, 12, 10:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, IC Amb
Flew Copa in May on a Z fare. You do earn the 100% 1k bonus in addition to the 150% RDM.
Old Oct 23, 12, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, DL Diamond, AS MVP75, AmEx Cent, Misc Hotel Bling, Moms love me
Excellent. Good to know. Just makes the deal even sweeter. 150% EQM and 250% RDM. Now to figure out how to get to JFk and how many days on ground I need to see Machu Piccu
Old Oct 24, 12, 12:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
I would say you need at least 3 days 2 nights to really enjoy Machu Piccu
Old Oct 24, 12, 12:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by ironmanjt View Post
Now to figure out how to get to JFk and how many days on ground I need to see Machu Piccu
Are you doing the hike or are you taking the train? I did the hike a couple of years back and had a great time. I did one full day in MP after the hike and I saw pretty much everything there is to see in MP. Safe travels!!
Old Sep 12, 13, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
COPA/UA

My sister in law flew up from Rio to IAH today. She bought a COPA ticket with COPA numbers. So far so good. Forgot to give them her UA FF number. So they ask me. I call copa and they said call back in two weeks to get the missing flights added. Okay please add FF number to reservation. Wont work as name she bought ticket under is slightly different than FF acct name.

How do I resolve. Going to be out by IAH tommorow. Will see if UA can fix on reservation to match FF name(same as passport)

Minor details such as making sure names exactly kind of escapes her. Every time she comes up here its some issue like this and she loses ff miles.

They are going to NYC next weekend. I drew that from her FF account. Names match on that of course.
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Claiming retro-credit after the fact should work, though it depends on just how different the names are. Obviously, getting those two bits matching makes things a whole lot easier long-term.
Old Sep 12, 13, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, CM PP, AV GM, UA Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat
I fly Copa frequently. I really like them a lot, but if anything goes wrong, it is very hard (read: "almost" impossible) to get any help through conventional channels.

From my past experience, I recommend following through with everything they tell you, and document every bit of it. If/when that fails after 60 days or more of due diligence, try writing to the CEO. He's a very nice guy, and will get your issue resolved personally.

Copa is very big, but they are no UA. That works to one's advantage when it comes to taking an issue to the top. Just make sure that you do everything they say before taking it to him. There is a tiny chance that they might actually fix this for her, and if they don't, you will want to have a real story of being ignored before taking up the time of a CEO. Sadly, there is nobody I've found between their customer service (in name only) department and the top.

Otherwise, they are almost always on time. Their planes are fairly new to brand new. They feed you well in both cabins for free - even on very short flights. Their planes are the cleanest of any airline I fly. The newest of their 737s have the ambient lighting, and some even have some very comfortable new F seats. The onboard service will make you wonder if you are dreaming it's so good.

For the future, she should probably register her MileagePlus account with them online and set up a login. That will give her the opportunity to save and revise her personal data to avoid a repeat of this unfortunate situation. Maybe you could help her with that before she leaves. Copa's web site is a lot easier to use than Avianca's site, and the MileagePlus program means one less program to track. If she has Premier status, they will give her a 25% PQM bonus for booking online, too.
Old Dec 21, 13, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Copa 25% PQM bonus for 2014. I knew that Copa had a MP 25% PQM Bonus for flights that were booked on their website. Do you know if that carrys over to 2014 Travel for bookings made in 2013? Also have you hear of that program has been extended into 2014 as well. I did a search and cant find anything.. Happy Holidays and Safe Travels
Old Dec 21, 13, 5:21 pm

Programs: CM PP DL GM
CM CEO

How con I contact him because is not good policy that MP has that my full fare CM tickets are not taken to account for consideration for GS I am at 280 K PM this year and I ask a UA rep and they say that my CM flights are not counted that is just plain wrong , I became a OP customer with CM and I fly CM most of the time because where I am based .
MP is CM program they should take into account all my CM flights for GS consideration
Old Dec 21, 13, 7:46 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777 View Post
How con I contact him because is not good policy that MP has that my full fare CM tickets are not taken to account for consideration for GS I am at 280 K PM this year and I ask a UA rep and they say that my CM flights are not counted that is just plain wrong , I became a OP customer with CM and I fly CM most of the time because where I am based .
MP is CM program they should take into account all my CM flights for GS consideration
I understand your frustration…

Having said that, I just want to point out to you an important distinction: Global Services is a United Airlines program, not a Mileage Plus program or 'level'. In other words, MP has nothing to do with GS.

The fact that both airlines (UA and CM) share a mileage program does not mean that both airlines also share all (or any) other programs. From that perspective, it makes sense to me that CM tickets would not count for GS consideration anymore than LH or NH tickets would (where UA has a financial benefit via JV/revenue sharing agreements).

All the same, it might not hurt for CM's CEO to know who you are and what your spend is
Old Dec 22, 13, 7:24 am

Programs: CM PP DL GM
Then CM is not an equal partner

Originally Posted by WindFlyer View Post
I understand your frustration…

Having said that, I just want to point out to you an important distinction: Global Services is a United Airlines program, not a Mileage Plus program or 'level'. In other words, MP has nothing to do with GS.

The fact that both airlines (UA and CM) share a mileage program does not mean that both airlines also share all (or any) other programs. From that perspective, it makes sense to me that CM tickets would not count for GS consideration anymore than LH or NH tickets would (where UA has a financial benefit via JV/revenue sharing agreements).

All the same, it might not hurt for CM's CEO to know who you are and what your spend is
Other shared programs like fly blue and miles and more give their airline members the same benefits because as a CM flyer there no great extra benefits to fly high fares and more miles after 100K
Old Dec 22, 13, 1:21 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by MARIOCASTRO777 View Post
Then CM is not an equal partner

Other shared programs like fly blue and miles and more give their airline members the same benefits because as a CM flyer there no great extra benefits to fly high fares and more miles after 100K
Actually, CM is an equal parter to all others when it comes to GS: activity/spend on them doesn't count!

It seems like you are still not understanding the distinction between a mileage program benefit and an airline program (what GS is). The implied comparison with LH's HON program is really an apples to oranges comparison: HON is a M&M mileage program tier level for which qualification criteria are published and benefits defined. GS, on the other hand, is a UA airline program that does not have published qualification criteria and is by invitation only.

You are likely correct that if you are flying on CM or CM tickets there is no incentive to continue crediting to MP. In that case, I would only suggest that you look into other programs that you can credit your activity in excess of 100k miles — i used to do that back when i used to fly a lot, and i wasn't the only one

Search this Thread