Wiki Posts
Search

1K desk cannot see same fare class I see

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2012, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
1K desk cannot see same fare class I see

Called the 1K desk to change flights from MLI to HKG. When I searched for the new flights I found W fares on all flights. The 1k desk found the W fares on the outgoing flights, but could not find it on the returns. She could only find H from HKG to NRT and NRT to ORD.

Her difference was $361 plus the change fee so she had me do the change. It was $6.11 plus the change fee, a difference of $254.89.

She tried 3 times to get the W fare to come up with no luck. Glad I checked it myself before calling. She said sometimes it works the other way and her fare is cheaper than what we can find.

Being in IT, I cannot fathom why the data used for ticketing is different with her system vs. the online booking system that we use. It should be the same database. Makes no sense.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, DL Platinum Medallion, AF Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Married segments, stale inventory availability, etc. There are many reasons this can happen.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JackieC2
Being in IT, I cannot fathom why the data used for ticketing is different with her system vs. the online booking system that we use. It should be the same database. Makes no sense.

Being in IT and also a 1K, nothing should surprise you anymore with CO's technology.

I've seen this happen before. I had to pick a different flight a few weeks ago because I wanted to get a specific fare class that the website had, but the agent did not.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 9:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

What 1k desk? The only desk I get is the "elite" desk, presumably also available to anyone with a United credit card.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Sometimes they answer saying "1K" and sometimes not. Seems like the phone calls roll to the first available person. At least my calls have all been answered very quickly. At most I've held for only one to two minutes lately.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
I had something like this happen a few weeks ago. I tried to make a change on line < 24 hours before flight, but the web site came back with an error when I did the final confirmation. I called the 1k desk to make the change, but they don't see my V fare that I see on the web site. They only see H. I refresh and it's still there for me. After some going back and forth, the 1k desk can't make it happen. However, since this came up on the web site, they transfer me over to web support. The web support person sees the V no problem, and in a couple minutes books the change. FWIW, expertflyer at the time showed V1. Yike.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 4:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
What 1k desk? The only desk I get is the "elite" desk, presumably also available to anyone with a United credit card.
I must have missed that somewhere

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...lub-travel.htm

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...rer-travel.htm
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I must have missed that somewhere
Not to worry. It's an "unannounced" change the pmUA flyers are 'gonna like'.

Or not.

Dave
Old Oct 23, 2012, 5:59 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
LOL. My first thought when I saw the thread title was "What 1k desk?".....same as you. In the last two months I have had cause to call the "1k desk" on three occasions. Two of the agents were totally incompetent. The third agent knew what she was doing.

The AA EXP desk (yes....there actually is one) makes the 1k desk seem like a joke.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 7:24 am

Programs: United, Turkish
nonexistent fares on Website

Just got off the phone with united. I was booking an award ticket IAD to JNB. I photographed the website screen showing award availability for the flight which the system would not book. I am a new Platinum member so I was sent quickly to tech support. I was sent to Tech support who said and I quote "United is not responsible for what is on the website" She agreed it was on the my screen, but it did not exist. Says it happens all the time. She would initiate a technical note.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Just got off the phone with united. I was booking an award ticket IAD to JNB. I photographed the website screen showing award availability for the flight which the system would not book. I am a new Platinum member so I was sent quickly to tech support. I was sent to Tech support who said and I quote "United is not responsible for what is on the website" She agreed it was on the my screen, but it did not exist. Says it happens all the time. She would initiate a technical note.
I suppose you could have asked to be transferred to whomever is responsible for what is on the website. But that most likely would have resulted in a hang up followed by dial tone.....
Old Oct 23, 2012, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by morelegroom

If it's a UA flight, I've had success in getting them to open up availability if the CO website is showing a false positive. We had a great time in Rio as a result of this bug.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.