Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii First Class seating options

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by gholly
am i missing something? isn't 3-class better than 2 class on an old plane?
Not if you're flying C on the non-IPTE sUA 3 class 772. I do agree that even non-IPTE F on the sUA 772 is better than J on the non-lie-flat sCO 76H.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
am i missing something? isn't 3-class better than 2 class on an old plane?
The old pmUA recliners in Business and the old pmCO BusinessFirst recliners are fairly similar. Some will prefer the UA recliner, some the CO recliner. However, the three-class IAH-HNL-IAH 772 service starting 4 Nov will have the older Global First flat beds up front (where I'll be in mid-Jan). If you book Business in the IAH-HNL-HNL A/C, you are almost sure to get a recliner. However, you may have a reasonable chance of an A/C change from the 76H recliner to a refurbished 764 with the new BF lie-flats flying out of EWR or IAD. ORD is currently stuck with the old 772 with domestic First seats with only 38" pitch. Certainly not worth the airfare or award mileage when compared with the EWR-IAD-IAH flights.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: Burrito Elito
Flew LIH-DEN a couple weeks ago with the lie flat seat config on 757. Unfortunately I was in Y, although E+. don't know if that's a regular trip or a one off.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by JerseySlime
The old pmUA recliners in Business and the old pmCO BusinessFirst recliners are fairly similar. Some will prefer the UA recliner, some the CO recliner. However, the three-class IAH-HNL-IAH 772 service starting 4 Nov will have the older Global First flat beds up front (where I'll be in mid-Jan). If you book Business in the IAH-HNL-HNL A/C, you are almost sure to get a recliner. However, you may have a reasonable chance of an A/C change from the 76H recliner to a refurbished 764 with the new BF lie-flats flying out of EWR or IAD. ORD is currently stuck with the old 772 with domestic First seats with only 38" pitch. Certainly not worth the airfare or award mileage when compared with the EWR-IAD-IAH flights.
Thank you so much for your thorough & easy-to-follow explanation. I am currently booked EWR-IAH-HNL in Biz hoping to use an RPU to get upgraded into F. DH is booked on an award ticket in F... Do you think this is the right way to do it? Or should I not waste the extra $$ & miles and just stick with Biz?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*
Thank you so much for your thorough & easy-to-follow explanation. I am currently booked EWR-IAH-HNL in Biz hoping to use an RPU to get upgraded into F. DH is booked on an award ticket in F... Do you think this is the right way to do it? Or should I not waste the extra $$ & miles and just stick with Biz?
Since we haven't had regular service using A/C with F, J, and Y to HNL (and being sold as three different cabins) in a while, nobody is really sure how the service in F will differ from the service in J. Maybe, except for the better seat, the service will be the same. Until we start getting some trip reports after 4 November (when this three-class bird starts flying IAH-HNL), we just don't know. Maybe you fly in Business IAH-HNL, being that it is a daytime flight, and upgrade into the First flat bed on the return since it's an overnight flight.

I'm flying using a Saver Award, with the difference between F and J being 20K miles round trip (100,000 miles versus 80,000 miles). I have the miles so I figured what the heck.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 8:38 pm

Can't book 2 award tickets in F?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by lensman
Can't book 2 award tickets in F?
Theoretically, I can...but I need the miles to make it to Plat! ah...how they get you with that status thing.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:41 pm

Theoretically, I can...but I need the miles to make it to Plat! ah...how they get you with that status thing.
Ah, I see.

What's your plan if the RPU doesn't clear? Is his award a standard or saver?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 9:49 pm

Programs: MR LT Platinum, HH Diamond, WN A-List,
Originally Posted by JerseySlime
Until we start getting some trip reports after 4 November (when this three-class bird starts flying IAH-HNL), we just don't know.
I am flying in F out on Nov 7th if I don't see any reports posted by then I will make sure to get one posted.

I won't be able to review the night flight back though cause I am taking the flying widget on a SJU run.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by lensman
Ah, I see.

What's your plan if the RPU doesn't clear? Is his award a standard or saver?
Ugh...I don't know what my plan is. Do you have any suggestions? His ticket is a saver.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:09 pm

Business Class HNL to Mainland, what flight is best?

I will be traveling from HNL to ATL on Nov 26 and trying to determine which route will give me the most comfortable overnight seat in Business Class on Pacific segment. I am currently booked on HNL-DEN-ATL with the overwater segment on 757-200 (two class configuration - Fl #383). I have option to fly HNL-IAH-ATL on 777-200 (three class configuration - Fl #218). Getting conflicting reports from seatguru and United reservations agents on if either (or both) flights will have business recliner seat or domestic first class seat. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 8:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by johnkel1
... I am currently booked on HNL-DEN-ATL with the overwater segment on 757-200 (two class configuration - Fl #383). I have option to fly HNL-IAH-ATL on 777-200 (three class configuration - Fl #218). Getting conflicting reports from seatguru and United reservations agents on if either (or both) flights will have business recliner seat or domestic first class seat. Any input will be greatly appreciated.
these are both sUA flights.
the 752 will have Domestic FC seats.
The 3-class 772 will likely be (old config) recliner business class seats.

these threads may be of help
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...omestic-f.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...777-738-a.html
Old Nov 2, 2012, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM, AA P 2MM, DL PM, US P, VS G, SPG LT P, HH D, HYATT P, PC P, AVIS PC, HERTZ PLAT
HNL-IAH-ATL in first would be the most comfortable as it will be a flat seat from HNL-IAH. Business will be a recliner. As I write this, there is currently one confirmable upgradable seat (O space) on 218 to first from business on the 26th. If you want to upgrade from economy to business there are at least 9 R seats right now, however thats going to set you back quite a few miles + copay.

Last edited by bdraco; Nov 2, 2012 at 10:24 pm
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:36 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
If you can't get a three-class plane and upgrade it, or even the HNL-IAD flight (and upgrade it) I would suggest that you take the afternoon flight to the west coast (which ever city you can upgrade), spend the night in a real bed in a hotel, then continue on the next day. This will be your most comfortable option. This is what I usually do.
Old Nov 2, 2012, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Going through IAD is also an option. Recliner seats, but still BusinessFirst.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.