FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Can't Trust United (regarding posted cause of flight delay) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1396576-cant-trust-united-regarding-posted-cause-flight-delay.html)

CO_Nonrev_elite Oct 1, 2014 4:27 pm

apologists should not be able to explain this away because for a rare instance United Airlines told the truth. There is a systemic failure in the United Airlines came to both take responsibility for anything, and to tell the truth. They lie relentlessly about reasons for delay and cancellations.

Once in a while it will be the truth, but I have been on many flights with crew I know well, know exactly what's going on, and see UA file it as something else and in turn completely screw over many passengers out of protections, connections, hotels, and more or less anything else they are due.

mduell Oct 1, 2014 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio (Post 23610797)
Haven't read the whole thread so maybe this has been mentioned....

Many times I've been delayed due to "late arrival of inbound aircraft" and in some cases (I've experienced several with RJs), it's bunk. If you look at the status of the "late" inbound aircraft, it's showing a scheduled arrival that's actually after the scheduled departure of my flight. Clearly, UA changed the operations and then hid behind that first aircraft being late. Heck, I've seen those inbound flights arrive 5 or 10 minutes late causing my flight to be an hour or more late. And I know they are playing fast and loose with this because in those cases, earlier in the day the "where is this aircraft now" showed what was the correct inbound flight.

How is that bunk and what is being hidden? They're always showing the inbound flight they plan to use to operate your flight with; that plan may change, but it's still correct.

bmwe92fan Oct 1, 2014 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe (Post 23609755)
+1.

First, people complain because they use a generic "operations" line. Then UA uses more specific causes, and others complain about that. It's sounds like its a lose-lose for UA either way.

Completely agree with you and I love the feature because it should drive more accountability - but unfortunately sometimes it doesn't - partially because of the way UA internally measures "performance" of their employees...

I do believe that for the most part the reasons are accurate - but I recently posted an example where UA flat out lied - and in another event I sent the screen shots to GS CS - and they agreeed with me - the reasons posted were not correct and in fact were a complete fabrication and lie. I was told that the issue was dealt with internally - I hope that's true. I was offered 5,000 miles for the inconvenience LOL...

JimInOhio Oct 1, 2014 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mduell (Post 23612247)
How is that bunk and what is being hidden? They're always showing the inbound flight they plan to use to operate your flight with; that plan may change, but it's still correct.

Showing my flight as on time and the inbound aircraft as on time and then pulling the old swicheroo to another aircraft that's coming in much later.... Yeah, that's deceitful when they then claim my inbound aircraft was "late". No, it wasn't late. It was really on time but UA gave it to someone else.

dcpdxtrans Feb 5, 2015 11:15 am

Stated v. Actual Reason for Delay

My wife is on UA740. The plane left the gate, started taxiing, and stopped somewhere on the tarmac but not the runway. The pilot announced that there was a temperature gauge issue along with a brake issue. The plane is being fixed somewhere on the tarmac.

The stated reason on the website for the delay reads "customer service." My wife told me that the folks around her saw the stated reason, and everyone was laughing about it. Personally, I do not think this is a laughing matter, i.e., misrepresenting the true reason for a delay. I've personally seen this issue on UA metal I've flown or rather, got stuck on.

The other side of the coin is that the ETD is or was completely unrealistic (as my wife has told me that the beverage cart is out) in estimating a 15 minute delay. One of the reasons we are looking to fly a mix of AS and AA starting this year is better OPS and IRROPS, which includes truthful/realistic representations (well, at least we have heard that AS is really good about that).

TA Feb 5, 2015 11:28 am

I don't disagree that they should correctly represent the cause of the delay. But what practical injury did she suffer from it being classified incorrectly that you're unhappy about? Compensation?

TennisNoob Feb 5, 2015 11:30 am

You can send a complain to UA and maybe get some miles back.

On the bright side, UA didn't blame WX for once so it's possible to get a compensation.

CO_Nonrev_elite Feb 5, 2015 11:58 am

Originally Posted by TennisNoob (Post 24297219)
On the bright side, UA didn't blame WX for once so it's possible to get a compensation.

Not yet...

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 5, 2015 12:15 pm

Well, plane has returned to gate. I'm pretty sure a better reason for delay will eventually be posted.

bmwe92fan Feb 5, 2015 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 24297550)
Well, plane has returned to gate. I'm pretty sure a better reason for delay will eventually be posted.

Actually I think it's in flight now - after returning to the gate - will arrive 51 minutes late - no reason stated....

geo979 Feb 5, 2015 12:23 pm

OP, thanks for sharing. I have caught United in similar lies about the true reason for a delay for flights I have been on.

Often1 Feb 5, 2015 12:28 pm

Maybe the better solution is to simply announce the delay and not try to categorize these things in 2-word codes for monitors and the like. The passenger doesn't have to fly the plane and it gets to the destination when it gets there.

Here, aircraft apparently arrived 51 mins. late. Much ado about less than nothing.

mkr Feb 5, 2015 12:36 pm

There is a separate thread with discussion on this topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ght-delay.html

msg75 Feb 5, 2015 12:43 pm

Experienced this Tuesday morning on the 6 a.m. LGA-ORD.

Eventually we wound up going out at Noon, 6 hours late.

First 4 hours the board read "Delayed due to flight crew availability"

Well this was a 6 a.m. flight that we all managed to get to on time...no crew was flying in for this prior to the flight that morning. The GA admitted that one of the pilots was MIA in NYC and they couldn't get a hold of him and now we were waiting for a backup pilot.

At 10 a.m. they announced that they had to de-ice the plane but ran out of de-icing fluid.

At this point the board changed to "Delayed: Severe Weather Conditions"

At 11:00 a.m. they announced that a part needed changing on the flight deck (obv a mx issue)...still "Delayed: Severe Weather Conditions"

There were no weather restrictions at LGA or ORD preventing planes from getting out or in...a colleague was on the 6 am WN LGA-ORD that got out exactly on time.

So apparently an oversleeping pilot, lack of proper ground support and a mx issue are all caused by "Severe Weather Conditions"

trk1 Feb 5, 2015 1:02 pm

others give no info

Please note that Delta and AA do not even give reasons for delays on line.
So maybe Ua should not be given such nasty comments all the time on this board