Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What in h**ll happened on UA846 EZE-EWR last night?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador

Talk about the WORST service I have EVER encountered on a flight anywhere.

Purser was fighting with business class passengers... Dinner service took 4 hours... all of the flight attendants were hiding in the galley...

NUTS!!!

Eleven hours of mayhem....

ps meant one * not two
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
What was the purser fighting about?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:58 pm

Sounds rough. Anyway to get a more accurate account of what happened? Unless we were on the flight, we don't really have an idea.

PS - Love Boston. One of my favorite cities.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Um, that doesn't tell us much about what happened, or why it was such bad service.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bostontraveler

NUTS!!!
Were they at least warm?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Drunk, belligerent passengers?

I've been in EZE-IAH before when people who have been drinking since lunchtime have gotten on.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Well, I didn't hear the whole fiasco but there was practically a revolution in Business class- attendants were completely incompetent...

One guy across the aisle ordered salmon... Purser came out and gave him steak and when he said "I ordered salmon" she said "Sir, there is no salmon on the menu." He took the menu out and showed her and she said "That's my dinner". We were all blown away.

Then another flight attendant took a napkin and shook it in front of my seatmate's face to get her attention-- and she said "excuse me??"

Then two attendants from across the aisle were confused on where drinks were supposed to go and one said "whatever, just give it to 5A".

A third passenger (hilarious) got up after looking at the cheese and dessert carts sitting for 45 minutes (no joke), went to the front and said "Are there pilots on the plane?" To which they responded "Why so, sir?" He said "Because nobody else seems to be working tonight" LOL

Then a heated discussion ensued in Business class and someone got up and spoke to the purser, called her on being crass and rude to a passenger (over the dinner issue), told her politely she was the leader and needed to manage better. Instead of apologizing she told him to take his seat or she was going to write him up....

I have to say in all of the flights I've taken I've NEVER seen anything like it... some stars were misaligned... I want to write in to complain...it made for an awful flight (4 hours to get food, asking 3 times+ for everything) plus the nastiness...

Worst thing is I'm sure UA doesn't even care about this kind of thing...Any suggestions on how to best approach this or even if it's worth it?

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I've been in EZE-IAH before when people who have been drinking since lunchtime have gotten on.
No. That's not what happened. Nobody was drunk because they weren't serving at all!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 10, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA 1.6MM EXP; UA GS; SPG LTG,Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I want to write in to complain..
In all seriousness, please do. With as much factual evidence as you possibly can. This sort of attitude is truly not acceptable.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:47 pm

One has to wonder what happened to make the FAs behave oddely in this specific flight. Was this the regular flight crew on this route?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 10, 2012 at 6:40 pm Reason: reference to now-deleted image removed
Old Oct 10, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Better IFE than most flights I've been on!

Sounds better than the IFE on most of my flights!

Certainly does sound like a misalignment of the stars or some such. In a situation like that, to make it believable, and assuming this was so ridiculous it would be possible, have several different passengers submit reports both individually and (somehow) collectively, because any one passenger can be written off pretty easily, but if they get three or four reports from the same cabin on one flight? That might get someplace.

Either that or UA will figure one of you was the ringleader and come straight to FT and figure it out and submit you to an audit.

I've always wondered what a good use for one of those pen cameras would be. Now? I'm thinking it's time to get one.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Actually, yes- there were 6 of us that exchanged business cards after the purser threatened to write the passenger up that told her she was out of line.

I have traveled millions of miles on countless carriers but this was insane. It's been years since I traveled on UA and this time only because of the nonstop from EZE-NYC... The only thing that crossed my mind was maybe there was some internal discord amongst them...??? Who knows.

Even though it wasn't directed towards me it was really disturbing as behavior.

Problem is I have no status on UA so my complaint, even though I was in Business, probably will get archived.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA1K
Purser was fighting with business class passengers... Dinner service took 4 hours... all of the flight attendants were hiding in the galley...

NUTS!!!

Eleven hours of mayhem....
That's why I fly Y.....
Old Oct 10, 2012, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
They're union, what can UA do?
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:24 pm

Worst thing is I'm sure UA doesn't even care about this kind of thing...
Why would you even claim this?

In a later post, you admit you have no status so you must not fly UA much... Have you been reading the FT UA forum too much?

Complain to UA. Behavior as described is unacceptable. For all of our sake, report it so it gets the attention it deserves.

And you'll likely get a cert or some miles too.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Why would you even claim this?

In a later post, you admit you have no status so you must not fly UA much... Have you been reading the FT UA forum too much?

Complain to UA. Behavior as described is unacceptable. For all of our sake, report it so it gets the attention it deserves.

And you'll likely get a cert or some miles too.
@ LarkSFO-

I am precise in my language. Did I say I wanted to claim anything?
I am a) sharing it with FT and b) asking a question as to whether UA is responsive to this stuff not being an elite UA flyer. I'm a *Gold but nada on UA.

Clearer?

As for why I would share this, it's a premium route and I traveled in Business class. As such, I would have expected a bit more than riffraff and outright disrespect to fellow passengers. If you feel this is commonplace and/or acceptable in your travel experience so be it. But it isn't for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.