Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weight limit on carry-on?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: UA 1P
Remember that however lenient UA may be, LH or UA-codeshares on LH are subject to the strict 8kg limit--most of the time. It may be randomly enforced, but it has been enforced on every LH TATL flight I've been on in the past few years.
Don't know if I was just lucky or if connecting from a short hop helps. I did CDG-MUC-BOS a few months ago. No one was interested in my carry-on that contained 10 days of clothes plus a very heavy book plus... And yes, it fits fine wheels first.

What really surprised me is I did the standard inter-Europe security screening in CDG. I expected more in MUC, but I simply walked to the gate. I did pass one additional security checkpoint, but they simply waved me through when they saw I was connecting from a Scwengen flight. Never did the more extensive TATL check.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: DL - exPlat (now Gold) ; AB - Gold ; TK - Gold; BMI - exGold; US - exChairman ; UA-ex1K; NW-exGold
TWA Fan 1,

Thanks for the link back to my carry on limit blog post.

I created a more extensive list of airline carry-on and weight restrictions here about a year ago - Carry On Bag Allowance Guide For 100+ Airlines

I'll probably update it again shortly, however it is quite time intensive.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just remember that it could fall out of the rack and hit you in he head.
Just remember that it could overload the rack, and the rack could fall on your head. There is a reason foreign airlines have a weight limit for carry on.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 7:37 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just think of your back/shoulder in consideration of how much weight you want to carry on.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Bigzamboni
Yep, was planning to just roll imy bag on, quickly pull it out and slide it under the seat in front of me. Won't even take longer than some people need in the aisles to do whatever it is they do. Currently in bank bags each weighing around 15kg each, which volume-wise, doesn't take up much space.

It might end up being over 10,000 coins, but nowhere near that in dollars.

A mix of current European and still-exchangeable, well-circulated legacy currencies, so I don't think anything would really be considered collectible, if I even get close to 430€ at a time with non-current stuff.

Also a direct flight, so no need to worry about the miserly inter-Euro limits, though on connections I guess they complain less.

While I know valuables aren't covered by the luggage liability, wonder some of the 1-5 cent stuff is safe in checked baggage. It would certainly be difficult for a baggage handler to walk away with a 15kg bag of coins.. And even more difficult for some TSA-Goon to try and pawn off if they wanted to try looting it anyway.
I think your strategy of taking the coins in a carry-on is probably the best way to go.

First, since there is apparently no weight limit for carry-ons on UA, you should be fine, especially since you are planning to place the bag under the seat in front of you (meaning there is no danger of the overhead bin collapsing).

Second, the problem with checking the bag is two-fold. First, since it is overweight, you would end up paying a hefty overweight fee. And second, you run the risk of someone along the chain pilfering your coins. Frankly, I would say this risk is quite minimal, because what the pilferers are especially interested in is items such as X-Boxes or PS3's (I know because my son's X-Box was pilfered by someone along the chain).
Old Oct 8, 2012, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by sefrischling
TWA Fan 1,

Thanks for the link back to my carry on limit blog post.

I created a more extensive list of airline carry-on and weight restrictions here about a year ago - Carry On Bag Allowance Guide For 100+ Airlines

I'll probably update it again shortly, however it is quite time intensive.
sefrischling,

Thank you! This is quite a useful resource.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I think your strategy of taking the coins in a
Second, the problem with checking the bag is two-fold. First, since it is overweight, you would end up paying a hefty overweight fee. And second, you run the risk of someone along the chain pilfering your coins. Frankly, I would say this risk is quite minimal, because what the pilferers are especially interested in is items such as X-Boxes or PS3's (I know because my son's X-Box was pilfered by someone along the chain).
Weight limit isn't a problem as a 1K. But probably will stick with the carry on. I go often enough that I'll be able to get rid of it before long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.