Wiki Posts
Search

Really missing those Amex points...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Marriott Gold
Really missing those Amex points...

Longtime CO now UA flyer out of EWR who's been Platinum and now Gold for the last 8+ years with almost 800,000 lifetime miles.

Since the UA merger we've seen the bonus miles drop for us lowly Golds from 100% to 50% (ouch) and the loss of the ability to transfer Amex points for miles making it almost impossible to rack up enough miles to make it worth my loyalty.

I noticed that Aeroplan is still hooked with Amex and I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to switch to Aeroplan.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:29 am

I'm was a big CO fan and still am an Amex fan, but couldn't you just change to Chase? While its questionable whether MM status on United will be worth anything, I don't see how starting over with Aeroplan out of EWR is going to be an improvement for you.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:33 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by elynchking
.... I'm trying to decide if it makes more sense to switch to Aeroplan. ....
have you looked their fuel surcharges for award flights?
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 am
Original Poster

I have the Chase card but don't do a heck of a lot of spending on it. My Corporate Amex is where I rack up a lot of $$.

Wine Country - good point. I will check that out.

Basically I used to earn 50,000 base miles, 50,000 bonus miles and 35-50,000 Amex points giving me 135-150,000 miles a year. This year I'll earn 50,000 base miles and 25,000 bonus miles putting me at half what I used earn.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
aeroplan sucks.

You should look at BA avios, especially if you fly short/midhauls out of NY.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC, Hyatt Discoverist , Marriott Titanium
Why not change the Chase card to the business version and then shift your spending to that card? Not sure which Amex you have but the MP Club card gives 1.5/1 RDM for everything and then 2/1 for travel related purchases.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

I don't have a choice on the corporate card - it's issued by the company I work for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.