Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Old Jan 27, 2012, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
If your CO # is associated with ne of the Chase cards that has this feature and you are flying CO then yes.
Got it, thanks.

Unfortunately, flying UA.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by qasr
Got it, thanks.

Unfortunately, flying UA.
If you're on UA and flying UA and have the UA card then leave your UA# in there. I dn't think they have implemented this on the UA side, but I could be wrong. There are likely a lot of changes needed in order to get this working for UA cards in the post-consolidation on the UA side.environment, but I'm sure it's part of the plan. March 3 will certainly be interesting...
Old Jan 30, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
Here is a data point.

I have XN ticket on Continental metal. I have a OnePass Mastercard. I checked in at -24 hours. Two minutes later I called the Elite desk. I asked them where I was on the upgrade list. I told them that the upgrade list online showed nobody. There were 4 open first class seats. I was told that I was #2 on the upgrade list. I hung up. Within 15 minutes, all the available first class seats had been taken by upgrades (mine not being one).

So, I guess some people chose to pay for an upgrade when they checked in? I didn't get an offer to pay for one.

Any other guesses?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold 1 Presidence Circle
Originally Posted by hooterbif
Here is a data point.

I have XN ticket on Continental metal. I have a OnePass Mastercard. I checked in at -24 hours. Two minutes later I called the Elite desk. I asked them where I was on the upgrade list. I told them that the upgrade list online showed nobody. There were 4 open first class seats. I was told that I was #2 on the upgrade list. I hung up. Within 15 minutes, all the available first class seats had been taken by upgrades (mine not being one).

So, I guess some people chose to pay for an upgrade when they checked in? I didn't get an offer to pay for one.

Any other guesses?
No data point but check this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...rd-ticket.html

Basically this is broken. I have talked to other FTers, talked to Elite desk agent who gave me all sorts of excuses, and tested by booking flights and checking in but nada. So the promise is no good. Good luck!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
I called yesterday to get my award reservation changed from XN to X but when I had to explain to the agent that elite Chase card holders get upgraded, I knew I was in trouble...needless to say, I think the XN/X glitch is still an issue and I was unable to get her to change it but I'll of course call back and try again...it's funny, the agents who "get it" have those fare codes changed in about 1 minute flat and it's done...it's like a lottery everytime I call as I think to myself "am I gonna win this time??"....lol
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I called yesterday to get my award reservation changed from XN to X but when I had to explain to the agent that elite Chase card holders get upgraded, I knew I was in trouble...needless to say, I think the XN/X glitch is still an issue and I was unable to get her to change it but I'll of course call back and try again...it's funny, the agents who "get it" have those fare codes changed in about 1 minute flat and it's done...it's like a lottery everytime I call as I think to myself "am I gonna win this time??"....lol

I just called to change one today myself. It's a CO segment connecting to an AC segment, and the CO segment was in XN, and I saw CO opened up an X seat.

The agent started off being a hair difficult, explaining that XN is for Elites and it should be fine, but I just kept talking about how this bug has been around on for months, and I really just need it in X, since it's X1, it should be an easy change and simple reissue.

After a minute or so of my continued rambling, I wore her down, and she rebooked the ticket and reissued it.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by channa
I just called to change one today myself. It's a CO segment connecting to an AC segment, and the CO segment was in XN, and I saw CO opened up an X seat.

The agent started off being a hair difficult, explaining that XN is for Elites and it should be fine, but I just kept talking about how this bug has been around on for months, and I really just need it in X, since it's X1, it should be an easy change and simple reissue.

After a minute or so of my continued rambling, I wore her down, and she rebooked the ticket and reissued it.
If it's taking us this long to explain all this to the CO agents, it's gonna take at least as long when UA jumps on board with the Chase upgrades.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If it's taking us this long to explain all this to the CO agents, it's gonna take at least as long when UA jumps on board with the Chase upgrades.
Well it's CO systems, so presumably the X/XN bug will apply to the UA reservations when it all becomes "UA."

I could have refunded/redeposited the ticket and then re-bought it since the space was still there, but I figured the hassle of cajoling an agent into doing what I wanted was less than having to refund/redeposit the ticket, rebook the ticket, follow-up to make sure CO tickets it, audit the refunds (miles and money), and contact AC to get the old seat back on the connection.

It did only take a couple minutes, so I think that was the right call.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well it's CO systems, so presumably the X/XN bug will apply to the UA reservations when it all becomes "UA."

I could have refunded/redeposited the ticket and then re-bought it since the space was still there, but I figured the hassle of cajoling an agent into doing what I wanted was less than having to refund/redeposit the ticket, rebook the ticket, follow-up to make sure CO tickets it, audit the refunds (miles and money), and contact AC to get the old seat back on the connection.

It did only take a couple minutes, so I think that was the right call.
Yikes...so the X/XN bug may be here to stay, at least for awhile...it will be interesting if we hear reports of the first UA metal reward upgrade after March 3rd...
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...it will be interesting if we hear reports of the first UA metal reward upgrade after March 3rd...
It will all be UA metal after March 3. It is my understanding that the CO code will no longer exist at that point.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
It will all be UA metal after March 3. It is my understanding that the CO code will no longer exist at that point.
So you are saying that after March 3rd there will no longer be X/XN? If that is true - what is it on UA?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zigenbock
So you are saying that after March 3rd there will no longer be X/XN? If that is true - what is it on UA?
I think the fare codes will stay the same since they are using SHARES but there just won't be any CO airline code attached to the flight number...I have a CO reward on UA metal in May and it automatically booked in X class as a CO codeshare (not UA's current XY class).
Old Feb 5, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the fare codes will stay the same since they are using SHARES but there just won't be any CO airline code attached to the flight number...I have a CO reward on UA metal in May and it automatically booked in X class as a CO codeshare (not UA's current XY class).
Load the UA side, you'll probably be in XY as far as they're concerned. X on the partner side maps to XY on the UA side.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:11 pm

Booked a last minute award flight. It booked into X but didn't clear EUA (abiet it was 12 hours before the flight).

Didn't clear or get placed into the battlefield list on check-in.

I didn't mind it cause it was a 55 minute flight. However, 1st wentout half empty. Arg
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA/CO-MillionMiler
Agent isn't hopeful that XN to X will help

After reading many cases here where people did not get their XN segments upgraded (or even put on the list), I called today CO to get the two of four segments that were booked XN to become X. The agent did not know of any problem with XN, even asked his supervisor. Both of them felt that leaving it in XN would be better, since that indicates I am Elite. I still had them change all segments to X.

I wonder if the XN means that I got that segment as a reward seat only because I am Elite? You know how it says "Elite customers may receive better ...results by loggin in at this time." when searching for reward seats?

My flight isn't until March 5 (two days after systems merge!!) so I can't report the results for quite a while.

I am hoping that my reservation now booked in X is the best situation for getting an upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.