Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Old Dec 23, 2011, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Strange, because I am traveling on CO1179 today, YN reward ticket, CO/UA Gold, and I have the MileagePlus Explorer card on my profile. I received an upgrade 3 days ago. I would check your CO profile and make sure it is updated correctly with your Presidential Plus CC number, exp date, security code correctly. In the past, I haven't been on the list, and I updated my CO profile, and now it worked for me. Just a thought.

And PS, they don't do anything for you at the airport. Be prepared to be disappointed.
I just went into my profile and updated the CC info. It was marked as a "MasterCard" and not a "Continental MasterCard." I wonder if that was the problem. Will report back tomorrow at the airport.

Thanks for the tip! Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by tonyflysco
I just went into my profile and updated the CC info. It was marked as a "MasterCard" and not a "Continental MasterCard." I wonder if that was the problem. Will report back tomorrow at the airport.

Thanks for the tip! Happy Holidays!
Good luck, hope this works out for you! Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 25, 2011, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Update with award travel nearly complete.

Outbound in XN no upgrade until at -48 hrs I had my fare changed from XN to X then upgraded next sweep. My wife still in XN on a split PNR did not appear on the list, United Club agent tried to add her and said she got an invalid fare notice.

Return in X I was upgraded at -120 hrs. Wife also in X appears on the list at checkin. Currently 150 min prior to flight 5 in FC (all upgraded) +9 on the list with 20 available seats. At OCI offered $99 buy up (declined) was #1 of 5 on list. Now #3 and was offered $109 buy up when re-checking in at the airport.

The list is shorter than available seats so I assume she (and everyone on the list) will get upgraded sometime in the next hour or so.

Clearly XN is broken for upgraded.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro
I am booked on a United flight and an early post said its eligible but I called in and they said its not.

Whats the right rule? What can I can give them to help them figure it out?
Old Dec 27, 2011, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by NDtraveler
I am booked on a United flight and an early post said its eligible but I called in and they said its not.

Whats the right rule? What can I can give them to help them figure it out?
Not eligible for United flights yet -- it will be in a few months though (supposedly).
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:52 pm

Travel Update

Strange, because I am traveling on CO1179 today, YN reward ticket, CO/UA Gold, and I have the MileagePlus Explorer card on my profile. I received an upgrade 3 days ago. I would check your CO profile and make sure it is updated correctly with your Presidential Plus CC number, exp date, security code correctly. In the past, I haven't been on the list, and I updated my CO profile, and now it worked for me. Just a thought.

And PS, they don't do anything for you at the airport. Be prepared to be disappointed.
Just checked in for the EWR-CUN leg of my flight, offered to buy up to F for $139... the page said "Elite members traveling on reward tickets are not eligible for space available upgrades" - it was interesting the website said this, especially after I was upgraded LAX-EWR the other day! I declined the offer, and then checked the upgrade list, and my name is not on there. I guess today I am not in Continental's good graces. I have no idea what is going on with their crazy systems, but I'm a little annoyed right now...
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1PP MM
Award/CC upgrades don't work for International flights.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA/CO-GS/PPlat,AA-Gold,SPG-Plat,Hilton-Diamond,Marriott-Plat,Hertz-Pres_Circe
Just checked in for the EWR-CUN leg of my flight, offered to buy up to F for $139... the page said "Elite members traveling on reward tickets are not eligible for space available upgrades" - it was interesting the website said this, especially after I was upgraded LAX-EWR the other day! I declined the offer, and then checked the upgrade list, and my name is not on there. I guess today I am not in Continental's good graces. I have no idea what is going on with their crazy systems, but I'm a little annoyed right now...
I received the same message when my wife actually did get the upgrade. It appears you need to A) Be on X inventory, and then B) show up on the list.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by mnmme
Award/CC upgrades don't work for International flights.
Yes they do. I cleared OKA-GUM 5 days in advance, booked in X.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:35 pm

Material weaknesses

Originally Posted by Henwurst
Yes they do. I cleared OKA-GUM 5 days in advance, booked in X.
This actually happened to me when I traveled LAX-HNL back in March. I was on the upgrade list for the LAX-HNL leg, and then when I checked in for the return, it offered me a buy-up option. I declined, and then I did not appear on the list. After a couple hours, and fighting with a couple CO agents about whether or not I should be entitled to be on the list, I had them undo my check in and I decided to take the buy up. There are some SERIOUS flaws in this process. They need to either tell us what the policy is and how it works, so we know what to expect... or fix whatever is wrong with the system.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Red_Rob
I received the same message when my wife actually did get the upgrade. It appears you need to A) Be on X inventory, and then B) show up on the list.
I was on YN inventory. They owe me an upgrade!!!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
This actually happened to me when I traveled LAX-HNL back in March. I was on the upgrade list for the LAX-HNL leg, and then when I checked in for the return, it offered me a buy-up option. I declined, and then I did not appear on the list. After a couple hours, and fighting with a couple CO agents about whether or not I should be entitled to be on the list, I had them undo my check in and I decided to take the buy up. There are some SERIOUS flaws in this process. They need to either tell us what the policy is and how it works, so we know what to expect... or fix whatever is wrong with the system.
Another blatant example of CO's IT weaknesses. And they just don't seem to care!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 5:57 am

how do you check your profile?

edit: If this is the co.com profile where you can add a form of payment - I just did it, thanks!

Last edited by bmw303; Dec 31, 2011 at 6:07 am
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:05 am

Companion upgraded over me?

On a reward ticket returning BZE-IAH-LAS-SFO. I just hit 1K and apparently at around the 100 hr mark my traveling companion (no status) was upgraded to R IAH-LAS-DEN. Yet I am still XN. I booked both tickets then linked them online.

I've not had a lot of experience with the Pres Plus CC upgrades, but assume he benefits from my status and that he got upgraded over me because I booked his ticket (shortly) before mine?

Still, seems odd that a no-status companion would get the upgrade over the cardholder. Yah, I dont mind sitting in coach...maybe he'll sneak me a drink...
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by Potreroflyr
On a reward ticket returning BZE-IAH-LAS-SFO. I just hit 1K and apparently at around the 100 hr mark my traveling companion (no status) was upgraded to R IAH-LAS-DEN. Yet I am still XN. I booked both tickets then linked them online.

I've not had a lot of experience with the Pres Plus CC upgrades, but assume he benefits from my status and that he got upgraded over me because I booked his ticket (shortly) before mine?

Still, seems odd that a no-status companion would get the upgrade over the cardholder. Yah, I dont mind sitting in coach...maybe he'll sneak me a drink...
The companion glitch has been around for a while (booking a reservation for someone else and them carrying your benefits), so in CO's eyes you are both treated equally. Which reservation did you book first?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.