Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Premier members who have Chase-issued credit cards are eligible for award ticket upg.

Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:12 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by carvalh2
Question: To add a companion to the upgrade list, will the companion have to be on a revenue tkt, or can he/she be on a reward tkt as well? IIRC right now a companion must be on a rev tkt, correct?
Hi carvalh2, the Platinum/Gold companion can be traveling on either a revenue ticket or a ticket redeemed from the eligible cardmember's OnePass account.
UPDATED 10/26/2011: The policy on this changed a while back. Specifically, companions are no longer eligible to be added to the upgrade standby list if traveling on a reward ticket (even when redeemed from the cardmember's account.) In order to upgrade, the companion, must be traveling on a revenue ticket.

Originally Posted by trm2
For prioritizing, it looks like revenue tickets first (which it should be) then the cards. Is the Presidential Plus card ranked ahead of the OnePass Plus card?

so, something like this:
Revenue Plat
Revenue Gold
Revenue Silver
Presidential Plus Plat
Presidential Plus Gold
Presidential Plus Silver
OnePass Plus Plat
OnePass Plus Gold
OnePass Plus Silver

plus all of the variations with companions, etc.
Originally Posted by sbm12
That is not at all how I read CO Insider's post. I'm reading it as the fare bucket "X" which is the coach reward will be added to the eligible fares for EUA assuming the passenger has a flag in their account for Chase card primary cardholder. It will be at the end of the line, after L but otherwise within the elite hierarchy.

Simply holding a PPlus or OP+ card alone won't get you anything with respect to upgrades.
Thanks sbm12, that's exactly what I meant.

Last edited by UA Insider; Oct 26, 2011 at 9:55 pm
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CO Insider
Hi carvalh2, the Platinum/Gold companion can be traveling on ... a ticket redeemed from the eligible cardmember's OnePass account.
This directly contradicts point #4 in your announcement. That states that the benefit is only for tix in the name of the named card-holder and only if they are the primary on the account.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:36 pm

This directly contradicts point #4 in your announcement. That states that the benefit is only for tix in the name of the named card-holder and only if they are the primary on the account.
Hi sbm12, that's not what was meant in point #4. The statement "will not extend to rewards redeemed for other individuals" refers to the upgrade benefit, not the companion benefit upgrade for Platinum and Gold Elite members.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
It is confusing, as the 'companion' aspect does appear to contradict the referenced point.

So, I'm thinking that maybe it means that a companion's reward tkt needs to come from the OP a/c of a Plat/Gold who is also the primary cardholder on their respective card account! It wouldn't make sense for the companion benefit to flow to just any reward tkt issued as that would invalidate the referenced point!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi sbm12, that's not what was meant in point #4. The statement "will not extend to rewards redeemed for other individuals" refers to the upgrade benefit, not the companion benefit upgrade for Platinum and Gold Elite members.
So, actually a Plat or Gold could add a companion on a reward tkt, as long as said reward tkt comes from the 'sponsor's' OP a/c? I'm assuming that also means that the Plat or Gold (sponsor) must be a cardholder of one of the said credit cards!
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by mnmag
So, actually a Plat or Gold could add a companion on a reward tkt, as long as said reward tkt comes from the 'sponsor's' OP a/c? I'm assuming that also means that the Plat or Gold (sponsor) must be a cardholder of one of the said credit cards!
That's right mnmag. If the Platinum or Gold Elite cardmember is traveling on a reward redeemed from their own account, they can request a companion upgrade for someone else traveling on a revenue ticket or a reward ticket redeemed from their account. In all other cases, the Platinum/Gold Elite companion benefit only applies to revenue tickets. Meaning, Elite cardmembers on reward tickets can't be added as someone else's Platinum or Gold companion.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's right mnmag. If the Platinum or Gold Elite cardmember is traveling on a reward redeemed from their own account, they can request a companion upgrade for someone else traveling on a revenue ticket or a reward ticket redeemed from their account. In all other cases, the Platinum/Gold Elite companion benefit only applies to revenue tickets. Meaning, Elite cardmembers on reward tickets can't be added as someone else's Platinum or Gold companion.
Thanks for the clarification, Scott! It makes sense now!^
Old Jun 1, 2010, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

never mind...you answered it while I was replying.

Interesting twist with the companion upgrade, though I still think that point #4 is being twisted based on the policy as you've clarified.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:21 pm
Suspended

just my .02 , it will simply increase the # of people who think they will end up getting UPed only to find out that the % is greater that Miami will be hit by a 14' snow storm this Aug

Now if CO removes the UPs from buying certain Coach fares then theyd stand a chance.But theres no chance of that a happenin
I wont say no one will get UPed but far and few in between, just CO doing another graet Spin job on those who dont really know how CO is playing the game.

Wonder what will be if the Merge actually takes place, will there be UA CCs offering the exact samething? or will it simply bite the dust?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:43 pm

just want to make sure 'President Plus' includes the business card since there are some differences b/t the two
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Reading thru the terms of the new card, it seems that "You will earn 1,000 Flexible Elite Qualification Miles (Flex EQMs) for each $5,000 of eligible net purchases.". I think the old Presidential Plus card offered 2,000 FEQMs for every $15,000 in purchases. For current cardmembers, which one would apply?
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Priemier Gold
Interesting to see FlexRQM still in the game.

Gives me hope that post-merger there will be some role for them and I won't be forced to cash in yearly.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
That is not at all how I read CO Insider's post. I'm reading it as the fare bucket "X" which is the coach reward will be added to the eligible fares for EUA assuming the passenger has a flag in their account for Chase card primary cardholder. It will be at the end of the line, after L but otherwise within the elite hierarchy.

Simply holding a PPlus or OP+ card alone won't get you anything with respect to upgrades.
Yeah, note to self. Slow down and actually read the post.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craz
just my .02 , it will simply increase the # of people who think they will end up getting UPed only to find out that the % is greater that Miami will be hit by a 14' snow storm this Aug
What are you talking about? I'm sure plenty of Pres+/OP+ Platinums and even some Golds will now get upgrades on reward tickets. Both are still ahead of all Silver elites on discount coach fares in the EUA priority.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 10:31 pm
Suspended

In the thread title, what is the significance of the "#" sign? What does it mean?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.