Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United Dreamliner 787-8

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Seating links:

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...ng_787-800.php

="3"%Polaris business Cabin
Rows 1 and 4 (bulkheads) - all seats have larger footwells. Aisle seat footwells are slightly larger than window footwells in all rows.
6DE are considered "most private" because away from galley and lav (although near coach). 6D angles away from aisle so slightly more private than 6E.

1A Footrest well
{new pics needed}

2A Footrest well
{new pics needed}

4A: DAY Love the full access to both windows and the view of the engine. However, I agree with others here, you're just TOO close to the galley. Worse yet, the galley has these super bright lights that can be bothersome on a night flight. The noise from the galley was bearable if you have your headphones on and are watching the TV etc. I didn't see any curtains to cordon off the galley...I wonder why they don't have this like on other aircraft. (If I remember correctly)

5L: DAY Nice quieter side. No galley issues. Still have a view of the engine but not as good as 4A. Your second window is partially obstructed by your seat so you only have access to the window "button" on the more forward window. Not a big deal...but I prefer to have 2 full unobstructed windows like in 4A.

6A: NIGHT Same a 5L very quiet. Full access to windows. No galley noise. Not as good a view of the engine but you can still see it albeit you're mostly over the wing at this point. ***NOTE: If you're on a night flight, like I was for this instance, there was this very bright spotlight just over the exit door 2R (across the 2L door where we boarded from) that the F/A couldn't turn off. He was very apologetic but ended up just taping a piece of cloth or something to accommodate me. Maybe I'm just super sensitive to the light but I couldn't ignore it even if I tried to. It was just perfectly aligned to my line of sight from my seat.

="3"%Economy Plus Cabin:

The front bulkhead rows (16ABC, 17DEF, and 16JKL) all have good (and identical!) legroom. Unless you are over 6'3" and/or just hate bulkheads, I'd recommend any of these seats.

I can confirm that all of these seats have identical legroom. Didn't bring my tape measure, but in both seats, my fully extended legs just touched the bulkhead -- I couldn't quite brace my feet against it, and ended up using my camp stool. For reference, I'm 6'1" with a 32-inch inseam. There's easily enough room to get up from the window seat and walk out into the aisle in a civilized way without (much) disturbing the neighbors. So, even as a committed aisle guy, 16A/L will be my first choice in the future. The view of the wing, engine, and horizon is pretty good (and you can easily spend half an hour playing with the windows). Bulkhead comes about half-way across 16C/J seat, so angling legs can get you a bit more room into business cabin. However, the curtain dangles there, which can be annoying, as can FAs going through.

UA actually did something pretty clever in 17DEF and 27DEF. Unlike every other bulkhead row in the fleet, this one actually has an adjustable armrest! It's the one between D and E (note: I'm certain of this in row 17, but could be wrong about 27). The trick is that the tray tables and video screens are to the left of D, to the right of F, and in between E/F. Thus, 17D is the clear choice here, since if 17E is empty you get to flip the armrest up and squish out. 17D/E is a good choice for couples. 17D/E are usually blocked until checkin.

Row 27 is the other potential winner. 27A and 27L have significant encroachment from the exit doors, and will probably be debated in this thread for years. 27BC and 27JK have infinite legroom, so the aisle seats are probably the top choice if you have NBA ambitions. You're going to have the standard issues with people hanging out in your space and waiting for the lavs, though. I think that the legroom in 27DEF is pretty much the same as 17DEF, but I didn't get a chance to sit there, and the inhabitants didn't encourage close inspection.

The rest of the E+ seats seem pretty much indistinguishable. Keep in mind that they're narrower than anything else in the fleet, so the eternal "E+ middle or E- aisle?" debate is differently weighted -- middles are gonna be tight. All the seats are tight, but not as tight as the 777-300 and reconfigured 777-200 (10 across) in coach.

Fixed bassinets 4AB, 4KL & 16ABC, 16JKL, 17DEF, 27DEF

Summary.

Normal people: 16A/L, then 17D, then 17F, then 16C/J. 27C/J are probably next best, and after that, it's personal preference between the E++ middles (16B/K, 17E, 27B/E/K) and the rest of the aisles and windows in E+.

Tall (6'3"+) folks: You aspire to 27C/J, followed by 27B/K, and then probably fall back on the advice for "normal people" above. 27A/L are probably not worth it.

Couples (or single + small child): 17D/E and 27D/E are the hidden treasures here; you can put up the armrest and snuggle. Or, if you're traveling with a toddler, you can have legroom while Junior stretches out across your lap for a nap.

True Polaris seta verision Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on the 788 true Polaris and PP version
Print Wikipost

Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a United Dreamliner 787-8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by t325
I just changed 5E to 4E on NRT-DEN, sounds like I made a good choice?
Yup! ^
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
My first time flying UA's Dreamliner.

The entire BF cabin is open. It's a day flight so noise from galley won't bother me. I picked Seat 4A due to the comments about the view of the engines and the larger foot well ... as opposed to 1A.

General agreement?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Originally Posted by kevinsac
My first time flying UA's Dreamliner.

The entire BF cabin is open. It's a day flight so noise from galley won't bother me. I picked Seat 4A due to the comments about the view of the engines and the larger foot well ... as opposed to 1A.

General agreement?
If you want a window seat and are ok without direct aisle access, then yes.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by t325
I just changed 5E to 4E on NRT-DEN, sounds like I made a good choice?
Why is 4E preferable?

My understanding is E has the largest footwells.

Originally Posted by Spindifferent
SFO-PVG Polaris recently on the 787-9.

Had 3E and 3D. Good luck figuring out which is which if you've never seen the seatmap. :-)

I preferred 3E as this side has easy access to the little-used lavatory at the very front of the plane. In addition, there is another lavatory on the same aisle to the rear of the seat.

3D has good access to the largest lavatory that I've ever seen on a plane.
Both reasons for me to stay away from row 3. The Lav gets pretty aromatic on a 12-hour flight, and I don't need the extra noise while I'm trying to sleep.

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I gather on a 10 hr. flight they will not provide pajamas. I have my first class pajamas from a recent BA flight. Am I going to going to look peculiar going into the bathroom and changing into (and then out of prior to arrival) non-UA pajamas or do others do this at times? I'm low key so don't want to annoy others.
Nobody will be annoyed, but I laugh at anyone who wears PJs in a public place. Except maybe children where they look cute. Not to mention I really try to avoid having anything touch the sticky floor of the Lav other than the soles of my shoes, which is no easy feat when trying to change clothes.

Originally Posted by Duke777
Huge footwells in row 1 but quite a bit of light and noise from the lavatory, control center, and using 1D/E as a bar/storage.
All a big minus for me. I've had several flights where the galley noise and FA chatting was excessively loud.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
If you want a window seat and are ok without direct aisle access, then yes.
always book window, either GF or C.

[I still can't believe they are dropping international F. I recently flew F SFO-FRA and they used the new Polaris service in F. For once, I was impressed with UA! If they had done this years ago, they might have made a Go of it!]

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I gather on a 10 hr. flight they will not provide pajamas.
Ask. At first, I was told no. They she found a set and gave to me!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:20 pm

traveling with my wife on a day flight in a couple weeks. we're currently in 4K/L. paired seats that are open are 1K/L, 3D/E, 4A/B, all of 5, and all of 6 except K/L. priorities are roughly 1) not smelling the lav 2) larger footwells/more room 3) minimize noise. should we move?
Old Mar 12, 2017, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by xerenthar
traveling with my wife on a day flight in a couple weeks. we're currently in 4K/L. paired seats that are open are 1K/L, 3D/E, 4A/B, all of 5, and all of 6 except K/L. priorities are roughly 1) not smelling the lav 2) larger footwells/more room 3) minimize noise. should we move?
Stay where you are, enjoy!
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
Stay where you are, enjoy!
thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *Alliance Gold
I haven't seen comments on 2KL in this thread. Holding these seats for MUC SFO. 4KL available, but I prefer to be a bit more forward so window view is not blocked by the engine cowl. Any downside to row 2?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by rockrich
I haven't seen comments on 2KL in this thread. Holding these seats for MUC SFO. 4KL available, but I prefer to be a bit more forward so window view is not blocked by the engine cowl. Any downside to row 2?
Besides the smaller footwells, no.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:42 pm

Can the wiki be modified to include whether 16 A-C, 17 DEF and 16 JKL as well as the 27's have under-seat storage in front of them or not?

It seems the only consideration in the write up was that they have equal leg room but doesn't mention under-seat sstorage
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ Diamond Plus, BA Silver
Originally Posted by c2cflyer
Can the wiki be modified to include whether 16 A-C, 17 DEF and 16 JKL as well as the 27's have under-seat storage in front of them or not?

It seems the only consideration in the write up was that they have equal leg room but doesn't mention under-seat sstorage
No under-seat storage in front of any of those seats — hard bulkheads in front of 16ABC JKL and 17DEF/27DEF while 27ABC JKL face the FA jumpseat/lav.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 12:02 pm

Can you add the Word "Dreamliner" into this thread ?

The word "787" is too short for the forum to search for, so its almost impossible to search for this thread
Old Apr 16, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by c2cflyer
Can you add the Word "Dreamliner" into this thread ?

The word "787" is too short for the forum to search for, so its almost impossible to search for this thread
I have long suggested that all of the "everything you want to know where to sit" threads be clipped as a wiki to the top of the page .....
Old May 4, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: Continental OnePass
My upgrade on next week's FRA-IAH cleared, so now I have to decide where to sit. Traveling solo, the only 'middle' seat available is 6E. Other than that pretty much every window/aisle pair in rows 4, 5 and 6 is available, as well as 2A, 3A, and 3K. Any advice/insight?

Last edited by swiftaw; May 4, 2017 at 6:52 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.