Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA to launch 3rd daily IAH - LHR flight + new routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to launch 3rd daily IAH - LHR flight + new routes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2012, 8:46 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Agreed that--at face value--it's a little odd that those of us who profess to love the bigger, dual-aisle planes, also then insist on flying on the upper (single-aisle) deck of the 747.

I'm one of those people.

But I think it's not quite as irrational as it may appear on the surface.

First, while the upper deck of the 747 is indeed only a single aisle, it's also quite a bit wider than the 757. The upper deck of the 747 is 16'6" while the 757 interior cabin width is 11'6".

That translates into a cabin that is about 30% wider...and therefore less claustrophobic.

There is also an impression of privacy on the upper deck that you don't get in the 757 premium cabin, which is separated by a curtain from Y.

Finally, and I realize this appears contradictory, there is the dual impression of being on a big plane (which I like) and being in a smaller private cabin.

But regardless of the intangibles and impressions, the fact is the upper deck of the 747 is quite a bit wider than the 757.
I'm in the same boat. 744 upperdeck feels like a small intimate private jet. Knowing that most 744s will retire soon (and 748 choices are limited), I'm booking 744 upperdeck as frequently as my wallet permits.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
What you forget is that AA is going to rip out the F cabin on the 772s and make the 772s J/MCS/Y only.

47 777s X 12 F seats = 564 F seats they are taking away. And for the 77Ws, they will only have 8F seats on a significantly bigger aircraft. AA is ceding the international F market on many levels except for a few lucrative routes.

Yes, there are lucrative F markets out there that can support such product, but you imply that in the majority of routes UA flies can support F which is not true... Mainly LHR/GRU/SIN/HKG/NRT can support the F cabin.

Only select markets will continue to have an F product with AA and the majority of the AA markets that currently have F service will lose it.

As for JFK-SFO/LAX less and less and less people are paying for F over the years. UA for the last few years have not sold close to 50% of the total F seats flown in a given year. Tons of C->F upgrades, F mileage redemptions, and non-revs flies in F. There was no point in flushing money down the toilet just for the sake of competition. Yes AA is thrilled and will continue to support the market, and the JFK transcons will be more profitable for UA. Win-Win for both airlines.

Yes, it is there, but not big enough for two airlines to serve it.
I think each AA 772 has 16 F's, not 12. So the total number of seats they're yanking out is even more drastic. And by the time theey're done allocating the 77Ws to LHR/GRU/EZE, very few left for any other destination.

UA currently (and will continue to) serve 3-class INTL F to far more places.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:44 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by 787fan
I think each AA 772 has 16 F's, not 12. So the total number of seats they're yanking out is even more drastic. And by the time theey're done allocating the 77Ws to LHR/GRU/EZE, very few left for any other destination.

UA currently (and will continue to) serve 3-class INTL F to far more places.
You are right it is 16 not 12

Agree with the last statement, even though most of the flights the F cabin will operate at a loss.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 9:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by golfingboy
You are right it is 16 not 12

Agree with the last statement, even though most of the flights the F cabin will operate at a loss.
If UA can smartly design F as "J oversold" inventory, then you'll still be filling them with rev pax and at worse break even (compared to pure SWU+awards)

CX was smart to limit their 77W F cabin to only 6 seats - to ensure minimum floor space wasted in case zero gets sold while maintaining a world-class image.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
This is what I don't get about the "UA IPTE F is a valuable product for UA, and it's stupid that CO is introducing more planes that don't have F into those markets" crowd: if there's such an awesome market for longhaul F, why are AA, BA, CX, LH, QF all removing F seats from various portions of their fleet? Is anyone going to seriously argue that UA F had a dramatically better F experience than all of those airlines, even in, say, 2009, before the eeeeevil $mi$sek came in ran over every UA partisan's dog with his pickup truck with a globe on it?

It's very obvious what the industry trend on longhaul premium classes is: fill more seats with paying customers, instead of selling million dollar glasses of lemonade ("hey, I only need to sell ONE!"). I see no evidence that UA has some dramatically superior product that is going to allow them to resist industry trends- if CX isn't willing to buck a trend, and SQ doesn't fly F all over their longhaul route network, why should UA?

That being said, IPTE has some shelf life, and if UA can figure out which routes F makes sense on, I could see them keeping some on when they get to needing new cabins come A350 delivery time. But AA's got all of 13 77Ws on order. That's 104 F seats, plus their AFS A321s (which are actually the C longhaul seats). That's way down.

If anything, if I was going to be an evil b*****d running an airline, I'd introduce actual premium economy like they are on CX, BA and QF, wider seats with E+ pitch, slightly upgraded soft product... and change the rules that upgrades need to go from Y+->C, that otherwise it's Y->Y+, though maybe if the Y fare was really expensive you'd get the Y->C upgrade. FWIW, Y+ is often the most profitable cabin on a plane (in terms of revenue/square meter), because it consistently sells well- which is why airlines are introducing it- in some cases removing F for Y+.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: Executive Club Silver
I see there has been speculation of where the slots are coming from, but are the any facts.

I know before the BD deal that LH transferred quite a few Bmi slots to their own portfolio, and they are slot sitting with excessive capacity at LHR so maybe from there.

It has nothing to do with the slot redemption process from the IAG/BD, these are mainly domestic slots and DME/RUH/NCE, no transatlantic services. Not to mention they have not yet being allocated.

The 757's concern me on LHR simply because BA has something like 11 daily flights to New York mainly on 747's, and CO operate 5 flights mainly 757. Are they really struggling to fill them? UA does well against BA on many routes like ORD/IAD-LHR so why couldn't CO? I respect they were newish to the route and short of longhaul aircraft though so hopefully some larger aircraft will be put on the route simply because I see it as a waste of slots. The whole frequency argument is pretty invalid considering the low frequency UA have from NY/NJ to LHR compared to BA/AA/VS.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rkkwan
Based on Boeing's own diagrams for the 744, when putting typical 3-3 economy seat on the upper deck, shoulder to shoulder it's 4ft11.5in for each set of 3 seats, plus 1ft5in for the aisle, so shoulder to shoulder it's only 11ft4in.
But United doesn't put Y seats on the UD of a 747, so I'm not sure what your point is.

As TWA Fan 1 noted, as currently configured, the UD of a UA 747 is quite spacious. I'd take it over BF on a 757 - or on a 777 for that matter - in a heartbeat.

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If anything, if I was going to be an evil b*****d running an airline, I'd introduce actual premium economy like they are on CX, BA and QF, wider seats with E+ pitch, slightly upgraded soft product... and change the rules that upgrades need to go from Y+->C, that otherwise it's Y->Y+, though maybe if the Y fare was really expensive you'd get the Y->C upgrade. FWIW, Y+ is often the most profitable cabin on a plane (in terms of revenue/square meter), because it consistently sells well- which is why airlines are introducing it- in some cases removing F for Y+.
^^ to true PE - and don't forget the AF offering. It is quite nice.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 5, 2012 at 1:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by PotNoodle
The 757's concern me on LHR simply because BA has something like 11 daily flights to New York mainly on 747's, and CO operate 5 flights mainly 757. Are they really struggling to fill them? UA does well against BA on many routes like ORD/IAD-LHR so why couldn't CO? I respect they were newish to the route and short of longhaul aircraft though so hopefully some larger aircraft will be put on the route simply because I see it as a waste of slots. The whole frequency argument is pretty invalid considering the low frequency UA have from NY/NJ to LHR compared to BA/AA/VS.
Let us lay aside the 757 debate and look only at why CO didn't have as large a penatration into the London market as UA. There are perhaps several reasons, let me offer just five.

First, CO only recently received LHR access previously having served LGW. UA had been at LHR longer and over years grew into the market. While LGW is great when one is headed to points in southern England, most travellers over the pond want LHR service.

Second, Being new to *A, COs service to LON was nearly fully dependent upon O&D at LON for most of their history there. While UA had a nice share of this market ex-ORD, they also benefited, perhaps more than any other *A carrier, from interline traffic with BD particularly to/from the Middle East and Central Asia. My office alone purchased about two dozen BD/UA tickets each month; only after CO switched from SkyTeam to Star Alliance did we purchase BD/CO tickets.

Third, many CO customers disliked AF and CDG. As a result, CO customers preferred CO's own nonstop service to European destinations. For those of us who were used to flying a 757 to LIS, CPH, HAM, etc. flying one to LHR was no big deal and they did provide more frequency than CO was able to give to LON passengers when they served the route only with WB aircraft.

Fourth, some CO traffic which would otherwise be on CO metal flew aboard VS metal owing to the CO/VS relationship.

Fifth, CO's service to the UK was fragmented. pmUA only served LHR. CO served six cities in the UK (LON, BHM, GLA, EDI, BFS) not to mention two cities in Ireland and that for a time, CO served both LGW and LHR.

Last edited by Indelaware; Oct 5, 2012 at 6:35 pm
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:41 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Indelaware
While LGW is great when one is headed to points in southern England, most travellers over the pond want LHR service.
For Eastbound travellers, I guess. A lot of us on this side of the pond are weeping over the fact that transatlantic service on ST has disappeared from LGW entirely, and *A service has been reduced to LGW-CLT.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Based on Boeing's own diagrams for the 744, when putting typical 3-3 economy seat on the upper deck, shoulder to shoulder it's 4ft11.5in for each set of 3 seats, plus 1ft5in for the aisle, so shoulder to shoulder it's only 11ft4in. Your 16'6" number is on the floor, and probably includes the enclosed storage space.

Similar diagrams for 3-3 seating on the 757 shows 4ft11in for each set of 2 seats plus 1ft8in for the aisle. So, basically the same on both.

I don't have the numbers, but the roof is probably lower on the upper deck of the 747 as well, which is why they can't put the larger bins.

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/air...s/7474sec2.pdf
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/air...ps/753sec2.pdf
Your post only demonstrates that the same seating configuration would take up the same width on the upper deck of the 744 vs the 757....

And, of course, that's right. Then again, that would apply to any aircraft with a cabin wide enough to accommodate a 3-3 seating configuration.

But it doesn't change the interior dimensions of the cabin itself.

And while the upper deck of the 744 is considerably wider than the 757, it is not as high.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
For Eastbound travellers, I guess. A lot of us on this side of the pond are weeping over the fact that transatlantic service on ST has disappeared from LGW entirely, and *A service has been reduced to LGW-CLT.
Don't forget TP. LGW-LIS-EWR is shorter than LGW-CLT-EWR. I've not done the Lisbon swing, but have thought about it. And before I get flamed for not flying nonstop EWR-LHR, I'd rather head down to CLT and end up at Gatwick when I am headed to Sussex than taking the extra time for ground transit from Heathrow.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
Your post only demonstrates that the same seating configuration would take up the same width on the upper deck of the 744 vs the 757....

And, of course, that's right. Then again, that would apply to any aircraft with a cabin wide enough to accommodate a 3-3 seating configuration.

But it doesn't change the interior dimensions of the cabin itself.

And while the upper deck of the 744 is considerably wider than the 757, it is not as high.
The cabins are about equal in width at shoulder level. The 744 is your quoted "30% wider" only at the foot. That's my problem with your post. Anyways, that's all I have on this topic.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
The cabins are about equal in width at shoulder level. The 744 is your quoted "30% wider" only at the foot. That's my problem with your post. Anyways, that's all I have on this topic.
Agreed...it's a very minor OT dead end, but the fact that they are 30% wider at the foot makes the cabin feel less claustrophobic, even if it has about the same width at the shoulder and the ceiling is lower than the 757.

Also, the fact that it is considerably wider at the foot means that the cabin is considerably more spacious while sitting, which is, after all, what one mainly does on a plane.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
The flight is bookable now. But the booking only seems to allow Y class and below? (The seating chart show a PMCO 747: 2-1-2 in C).
Old Dec 24, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Contrary to what people seemed to think initially, alll 3 Houston-London flights will be on 3-class pmUA 763s, not reconfigured 2-class 763s. Or at least this is what UA.com shows on the reservations page post-March 29. This is a nice surprise (although if you read the initial press release carefully, it never specificed 2-class vs 3-class 763s; it just said 763s with "flat-bed premium" seating). GRU is also showing 3-class pmUA 763s.

Does this mean we will soon see a separate GF Lounge at E? Maybe create a lounge-within-a-lounge on the 3rd floor of the United Club, a la NRT? That would be a nice GS perk for the many 2-class BF flights out of IAH.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.