Wiki Posts
Search

Agent incompetence

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Agent incompetence

I just called the Premier Line to apply GPUs to both directions of a simple roundtrip itinerary. A total of 2 GPUs should have been applied.

The agent somehow managed to pull my remaining FOUR GPUs and only waitlist upgrades in one direction.

The mind boggles.....

A follow up call and it was all straightened out. That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back..
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Any time you have a phone agent pull an upgrade manually, it's subject to error.

They have to go into your account and debit the upgrade manually. They can pick a newer one than what's needed, they can pull the wrong type, or as you've seen they can pull more.

It's not a clean process from their end by any means, which is why it's so prone to error.

If you can do it online, always try that first.

I had one recently where I told them to pull GPUs for 2 records for a domestic trip, and they pulled 1 RPU and 1 GPU. When I called to get it fixed, the agent said there's nothing they can do to fix it because if they undo it, it may not go back to R. I tried to push them to force it since it's agent error, no. Can you go into my account and restore the upgrade and charge the one I asked? No. I was getting nowhere, so I verified I was talking with a legacy CO agent and hung up.

I called back and got a better agent who was willing to fix it. They undid the upgrade and redid it against the GPU, but the regional never went back. He called someone to get that fixed. Then I look at the res, and I'm now waitlisted for one of the longer flights, and he said there's no R space. I point out how I was in F before, and he realizes the supervisor who did the swap put me on the wrong flight (it was a market with lots of flights, and I had deliberately booked a long connection because of the R space, and the supv put me on the next logical connection). He had to get the fix redone, but in the end it all got sorted.

Last edited by channa; Oct 3, 2012 at 6:05 am
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
On the other hand, they have also been known to forget to pull anything . Stupid works both ways.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by channa
I verified I was talking with a legacy CO agent and hung up.
And this is relevant because??

I called back and got a better agent who was willing to fix it.
Legacy CO also?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
I just called the Premier Line to apply GPUs to both directions of a simple roundtrip itinerary. A total of 2 GPUs should have been applied.

The agent somehow managed to pull my remaining FOUR GPUs and only waitlist upgrades in one direction.

The mind boggles.....

A follow up call and it was all straightened out. That's 90 minutes of my life I'll never get back..

Exact same thing happened to me last week, only RPUs.

Thankfully, only took me about 15 minutes to get corrected.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njcommodore
And this is relevant because??
It was to satisfy my hunch about someone who would talk to me like that and give me no solutions.

Legacy CO also?
Not sure. CO has some good agents, so does UA. Could have been either. I just nominated a CO agent the other day for an Outperform.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
It was to satisfy my hunch about someone who would talk to me like that and give me no solutions.

Not sure. CO has some good agents, so does UA. Could have been either. I just nominated a CO agent the other day for an Outperform.
I just find it interesting that when a pmCO agent does something you don't like you have no problem pointing out that they're pmCO, but when someone does something right you don't ask.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just find it interesting that when a pmCO agent does something you don't like you have no problem pointing out that they're pmCO, but when someone does something right you don't ask.
Bad agents are few and far between, IME.

9 times out of 10, the agents do things right. I don't ask every call, usually only when they're not good.

And btw, I did ask the other day when I nomiated that CO agent for an Outperform.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:56 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
On the other hand, they have also been known to forget to pull anything . Stupid works both ways.
If THEY forgot and did not pull anything, will the SYSTEM automatically catch up on the day of travel? Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lax2010
If THEY forgot and did not pull anything, will the SYSTEM automatically catch up on the day of travel? Thanks.
I don't think it will automatically, but you never know if they will do an audit and catch it later...like they did with mileage and promo misposts recently.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: UA*1K & UA Club, National Ex. Elite, Hertz Pres. Circ., Amex Plat., CLEAR
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Shush!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 8:17 am

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Joshua
Shush!
Too late! They heard it ;-)
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K, Ex-DL Plat, SPG Plat, IC Plat, Hilton Gold
9 times out of 10, the agents do things right. I don't ask every call, usually only when they're not good.
Not anymore.
I have several incidents in the last 6 weeks by calling the "1K" line.
Now I say its about 1 out of 3 know what they are doing.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by fedup flyer
Not anymore.
I have several incidents in the last 6 weeks by calling the "1K" line.
Now I say its about 1 out of 3 know what they are doing.
Sadly that's true. Lots of times you just have to know at least as much as they do (or even more than they do) to pull it off.
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:59 pm
txp

Programs: UA, AA, DL, BA, Marriott, Hilton, Accor, Hyatt
Rude phone agent

Me> Hi, I would like to buy two tickets for travel from IAH to XXX on such and such dates. I would like the outbound ticketed in W fare class and the return in L fare class.

Agent> sure, give me dates, flight details, etc.

Me> Provided everything

Agent> What is the name of the second passenger

Me> His name is xxx. He is on my online profile, can you see it or do I have
to provide you the information allover? And will his TTN automatically load?

Agent> I see XXX in your profile, but it does not work like that when you buy over the phone. You have to provide the information allover again. If you want to load the profile you have to buy it online.

Me> I am sorry but this type of ticket cannot be purchased online because I want to force the fare bucket to be different on the outbound and the return flight.

Agent> Yes you can.

Me> No, I dont believe that's ....

Another voice from an outsourced location> Hello you have reached United Web Support, how may I help you?

______

Of course, the web support agent confirmed that what I wanted to do was not possible online.

_____

My view:

It was extremely rude of the first agent to transfer me to web support while I was in the middle of a sentence to her. Especially since I did not want to be transferred. I already knew the answer. I just wanted her to complete the transaction.

I called back to see if I can find out who the person was, so that I can file a complaint. Unfortunately, UA does not keep track of calls and cannot tell me who took my call. That agent would definitely benefit from some training.

Suggestion for the UA Insider: You need to build some accountability into this system. There has to be a way for the caller to provide feedback and/or report an otherwise rude agent. Thanks for considering my suggestion.

I hope this is just a glitch in an otherwise positive trend since last year.

Last edited by txp; Sep 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.