Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

Consolidated "UA 757-300 Seating, IFE, etc." Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 17, 19, 7:19 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Boeing 757-300 (753)
Seat map (24Domestic F seats/55E+/134E configuration)



Entertainment -- now 100% personal device entertainment (DirecTV has been removed)

WiFi (Internet access for a fee)
Power -- F & E+ , none in regular economy

1A/B has a great cutout for extra foot space, 1E/F has no cutout and may be tight for taller passengers.

New Slimline 753s



This link Interim 757-300 seat map shows a strange interim seat map that you might want to consult if the one(s) above do not match what you are seeing on United.bomb.
See the bottom of the Wiki there for warnings about seat selection.
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 20, 14, 2:55 pm
  #76  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
Thanks.
Do 757-300s flying SFO-Hawaii have AVOD?
No they don't. They either have DirecTV which cuts out not long after takeoff which at that point you will have access to pre-recorded content or the ones with the overhead monitors that drop down from the overhead bins those ones will play 1 movie and a bunch of different tv shows variety programming etc. If you are in Y/C on a DirecTV 753 you will still need to pay the fee to activate the TV. If you are on the one with just the overhead monitors then no you won't have to pay.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 3:20 pm
  #77  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
No they don't. They either have DirecTV which cuts out not long after takeoff which at that point you will have access to pre-recorded content or the ones with the overhead monitors that drop down from the overhead bins those ones will play 1 movie and a bunch of different tv shows variety programming etc. If you are in Y/C on a DirecTV 753 you will still need to pay the fee to activate the TV. If you are on the one with just the overhead monitors then no you won't have to pay.
That DTV system is lousy. They should have figured out a way to provide it across the Caribbean and Hawaii as it seems that's where a lot of 737 and 753 fly to anyway. CO cheaped out big time when they installed that system.
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 3:45 pm
  #78  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Paris, France
Programs: El Al Matmid, Air France Flying Blue Silver
Posts: 2,216
Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
PS 757-200s have AVOD & winglets
Excuse me, what does "PS" mean?
LY777 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 3:51 pm
  #79  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: ORD / DUB / LHR
Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Posts: 8,243
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
That DTV system is lousy. They should have figured out a way to provide it across the Caribbean and Hawaii as it seems that's where a lot of 737 and 753 fly to anyway. CO cheaped out big time when they installed that system.
CO got it for free.

Even with just the pre-recorded content these aircraft have 10x the video programming choices that you get on the rest of the UA shorthaul fleet, so it's hardly "lousy".
star_world is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 4:10 pm
  #80  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,385
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
That DTV system is lousy. They should have figured out a way to provide it across the Caribbean and Hawaii as it seems that's where a lot of 737 and 753 fly to anyway. CO cheaped out big time when they installed that system.
Direct TV signal isn't available over the areas you mention. How does UA provide something that does not exist?
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 4:17 pm
  #81  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by LY777 View Post
Thanks guys!



Excuse me, what does "PS" mean?
PS = Premium Service. These the sUA 752s that fly between JFK - LAX/SFO.
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 4:23 pm
  #82  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Minneapolis, MN (MSP)
Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Posts: 1,955
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Direct TV signal isn't available over the areas you mention. How does UA provide something that does not exist?
Several movies and a channel of cycling TV shows are stored locally on the plane and are available regardless of where the plane is located.

I think this is their solution (and fairly reasonable IMHO)
kenn0223 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 5:33 pm
  #83  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10,385
Originally Posted by kenn0223 View Post
Several movies and a channel of cycling TV shows are stored locally on the plane and are available regardless of where the plane is located.

I think this is their solution (and fairly reasonable IMHO)
We were discussing DTV availability over the water. As previous poster has already pointed out, stored content is provided outside of DTV coverage areas.
IAH-OIL-TRASH is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 6:01 pm
  #84  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by star_world View Post
CO got it for free.

Even with just the pre-recorded content these aircraft have 10x the video programming choices that you get on the rest of the UA shorthaul fleet, so it's hardly "lousy".
It's extremely lousy. B6 offers it for free, DL and AA offer AVOD for free, the inflight map is a joke, and there are no audio features.

CO should have just offered AVOD.
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 6:20 pm
  #85  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hoboken, NJ; Pembroke Pines, FL
Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,939
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
DL and AA offer AVOD for free
DL and AA are offering AVOD free on all domestic flights? That's fantastic. I'll have to think about switching! What's their schedule for retrofitting all their planes? I'll take a link to the FT thread if you've got it.

Thanks!
lensman is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 6:24 pm
  #86  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757 View Post
It's extremely lousy. B6 offers it for free, DL and AA offer AVOD for free, the inflight map is a joke, and there are no audio features.

CO should have just offered AVOD.
Yeah you also have to pay to access the premium content on the DL aircraft that have the seatback screens.

Originally Posted by lensman View Post
DL and AA are offering AVOD free on all domestic flights? That's fantastic. I'll have to think about switching! What's their schedule for retrofitting all their planes? I'll take a link to the FT thread if you've got it.

Thanks!
No they are only offering limited basic stuff for free. If you want to watch movies or access premium content ie HBO, showtime etc you still have to pay.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 20, 14 at 9:46 pm Reason: merge
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:04 pm
  #87  
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Upcountry Maui, HI
Posts: 12,356
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
No they don't. They either have DirecTV which cuts out not long after takeoff which at that point you will have access to pre-recorded content or the ones with the overhead monitors that drop down from the overhead bins those ones will play 1 movie and a bunch of different tv shows variety programming etc. If you are in Y/C on a DirecTV 753 you will still need to pay the fee to activate the TV. If you are on the one with just the overhead monitors then no you won't have to pay.
The context of that quote above was about SFO-Hawaii flights.

Did they add ETOPS certification to the original CO 753s outfitted with DTV?

We only get the ex-ATA ETOPS certified a/c as far as I know on the mainland - Hawaii 753 flights so there's no DTV.

Has that changed?

-David
LIH Prem is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:23 pm
  #88  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: EWR, BDL
Posts: 4,469
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
The context of that quote above was about SFO-Hawaii flights.

Did they add ETOPS certification to the original CO 753s outfitted with DTV?

We only get the ex-ATA ETOPS certified a/c as far as I know on the mainland - Hawaii 753 flights so there's no DTV.

Has that changed?

-David
Yes the original CO 753s have been outfitted with ETOPS for use on the Hawaii runs. Flights using the original CO 753s today:

Tail #851
LAX - OGG - SFO
Tail #857
SFO - KOA - SFO
JOSECONLSCREW28 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 8:29 pm
  #89  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: DEN
Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Posts: 1,254
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28 View Post
Yeah you also have to pay to access the premium content on the DL aircraft that have the seatback screens.
Dish is free on DL -- that's 18 channels worth of TV that you don't get for free with UA's product.

In addition, premium content might be free to Hawaii as well (not sure) but it's definitely free internationally.
REPUBLIC757 is offline  
Old Jan 20, 14, 9:10 pm
  #90  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: iad/dca
Programs: UA Million Mile Gold, Club, AA, Delta, Marriott, Hertz G, A/Club
Posts: 1,106
Day, Date Flight Class Departure City and Time Arrival City and Time Aircraft Meal
Wed, 22JAN14 UA1298 G WASHINGTON, DC
(IAD - DULLES) 8:40 AM LOS ANGELES, CA
(LAX) 11:22 AM 757-300

One miserable acft. No e+ No AVOD, miserable CO crew. AVOID at all cost. They dump the early arriving Middle East and Brazil flight pax on this one to LAX. Poor people. I just got rebooked on it due to WX at IAD on the 22nd. If this is an example of their pre merger product CO was one miserable airline.
iquitos is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: