Search

Creative routing NYC to SFO to add PQM?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold lifer

Hi all,

I've got a trip coming up to SFO from NYC, and am exactly 8160 PQM away from Premier Platinum, which I really want to hit on this trip as it will make a big difference to be able to book more than 2 E+ seats on a future trip.

I can fly business, so I need to actually do 5440 miles flown on the trip to get the PQM that I need. Any good ideas for routing to hit that? Normal NYC to SFO legs end up about 500 flown miles short. I do not want to do anything crazy, and cannot do anything that will increase the cost, but I'm thinking there should be a good way to do this.

For reference - flight out is Oct 14, flight home on the 16th.

Thanks!
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
EWR-IAH-SFO
3035 PQM each way +50% bonus if booking F so total of 9105PQM.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Stop in IAH

LGA-IAH-SFO-IAH-LGA on your dates, is over 6,000 miles. In C or F you'll hit your goal.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist

My suggestion is to take the direct and do a mileage run in Y another time. You'll be trading a PS business class flight for standard domestic F, which as you know is not very good.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Originally Posted by sammyindc
EWR-IAH-SFO
3035 PQM each way +50% bonus if booking F so total of 9105PQM.
Bingo. In addition, a quick search on ITA leads me to believe that many routings through Houston will actually reduce the cost (unless you booked your ticket before today at a cheaper fare class). I think you only need to route through Houston on one of the segments in order to hit Platinum, assuming you do in fact book in business.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:25 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by keloutwest
My suggestion is to take the direct and do a mileage run in Y another time. You'll be trading a PS business class flight for standard domestic F, which as you know is not very good.
Not true.
EWR-IAH has a flight on the 767-300ER with intl configuration and lie flat in C
IAH-SFO has a flight on the 787 (depending on travel date) also with intl configuration and lie flat in C

I would say both of these are superior to the PS business class product.

EDIT: on Oct 14/16 no 787 but a 767 intl config on the IAH-SFO route
Old Oct 2, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Route thru LAX, one direction only.

I'd do JFK-LAX-SFO-JFK or JFK-SFO-LAX-JFK, depending on whether you're more flexible outbound or returning.

JFK-LAX-SFO gives you 2975 PQM (the 500 miles/segment minimum applies on the LAX-SFO leg).

SFO-JFK gives you 2586 PQM

With the 50% bonus you'd be at 8341 PQM.

You'd be in p.s. C both ways (and no need to play the lottery for whether you actually get a 3-cabin plane through IAH)

You add only one extra segment, so less risk of misconnects, less time sitting in airports, etc.

You could also consider something like LGA-IAD-SFO-JFK, but that puts you in domestic F for the IAD-SFO leg, which is a big step down from p.s. C.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS, 1MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I travel WAS-SAN-SFO regularly from the DC area to add miles. Its an alternate to Lax. But I'm not familiar with the PS service.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:30 am
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
SFO-LAX-JFK-LAX-SFO is probably the easiest way to tack on 1,000 miles RT (1,500 PQM with the premium fare bonus).
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
SFO-LAX-JFK-LAX-SFO is probably the easiest way to tack on 1,000 miles RT (1,500 PQM with the premium fare bonus).
+ 1.

If I am connecting out of SFO I always try to fly SAN-LAX-SFO-XXX
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG gold lifer
Perfect, thanks for the help. Decided to connect through LAX on the way over - same fare and an extra 750 PQM for biz class on that extra segment at the minimum 500 miles per segment. Will put me just over the line and it adds only an hour and a half to my trip over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.