Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2022, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees

UA site - Free checked bags for eligible United MileagePlus Chase credit cardmembers

First and second checked bags free for MileagePlus® Club and Presidential PlusSM card members

First checked bag free for MileagePlus Explorer cardmembers and cardmembers with certain other Chase credit cards
Terms and conditions
  • The primary Cardmember and one companion traveling on the same reservation are each eligible to receive their applicable standard checked bag(s) free. To receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free, the primary Cardmember must include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation and use their qualifying United MileagePlus Credit Card from Chase to purchase their ticket(s).
  • The traveler must be a Cardmember at the time of check-in in order to be eligible for free checked bags.
  • One authorized user is eligible to receive the applicable standard checked bag(s) free only if traveling on the same reservation as the primary Cardmember and counted as the one traveling companion eligible for the benefit.
  • Eligible Cardmembers will receive their applicable standard checked bag free on flights operated by United or United Express; codeshare flights are not eligible.
  • Checked bags must meet weight and size restrictions or may be subject to additional fees. Learn more about our baggage policy.
  • Primary Cardmembers are eligible to receive applicable standard checked bag(s) free when they use their miles to book award travel on United-operated flights, as long as they pay for their award ticket taxes and service charges with their qualifying Card and include their MileagePlus account number in their reservation.
  • Primary Cardmembers who are already exempt from checked baggage service charges will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Premier members:
    Club or Presidential Plus Card members who receive two or more free checked bags through their Premier status will not receive additional free checked bags.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not receive a free checked bag in addition to the free checked bag(s) awarded through their Premier status.

For additional information on Premier benefits, visit www.united.com/premier.
    International travel:
    Club and Presidential Plus Card members will not get additional free checked bags if there are no first and second checked bag service charges applicable to their international travel itinerary.
    Explorer Cardmembers and Cardmembers with certain other MileagePlus Chase Credit Cards will not get an additional free checked bag if there is no first checked bag service charge applicable to their international travel itinerary.
  • Unpublished fares, such as priceline.com and Hotwire, are not eligible.
  • New United MileagePlus Chase primary credit Cardmembers will be eligible for their applicable free standard checked bag(s) 2 weeks after account opening.
    Offer subject to change without notice. Other restrictions may apply.
FAQs
Can I get both by status benefit and the credit card benefit?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and you only have one "first" bag. Also addressed in above T&Cs.

If my ticket has a bag allowance doe the card benefit provide additional allowance?
No, the benefits do not stack. The best way to think about it is the first / second bag fees are waived, and if the ticket has no fee, the waiver provides no additional benefit, . Also addressed in above T&Cs

Will I get the checked-bag benefit on an UA issued award ticket if I pay the out-of-pocket costs (tax, TSA fee) with a qualifying Chase UA card?
Yes, assuming you meet the other requirements (cardholder's MP number is on the same PNR, etc.).

Is third bag fee at the original fee or charged at what was the first bag fee?
The higher bag fees are unchanged when first and/or second bag fees are waived.

Do Basic Economy fares change the bag waiver?
No - see Introducing Basic Economy
And MP branded Chase cardholders will be exempt from the BE carry-on & boarding group restrictions

If I am a Chase MP branded cardholder but used a different card to purchase the ticket, will I still get the bag waiver?
No
But some have found if you purchase E+ access with the Chase MP branded card, you will then received the bag waiver

If I cancel the card after booking but before travel, will I still get the waiver?
No, the T&Cs state the card must be active at the time of travel.

How do I get the checked bag fee waiver when checking in with a partner airline, such as a codeshare?
Checked bag fee waiver only applies when checking in with UA. Codeshare/partner airlines will not provide the checked bag waiver benefits based on being a primary cardholder of a Chase MP card.

What if I purchase the UA ticket on a third party site using the Chase MP card?
This is a YMMV situation. It depends on how the 3rd party handles its billings. Reports are the Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity ... bookings will received the bag allowance waiver at check-in.

What if I forgot to use the Chase MP card for the original purchase?
Certain additional items, such as E+ access seem to trigger the bag waiver.
Recent reports suggest this no longer works.

I have a new Chase MP card, how can I tell UA knows this?
This takes a week or two to be fully acknowledged in the system

Go to https://www.united.com/en/us/account
At the top look for "Mileage Balance" and just below that "Exp. xx/xx/xxxx" with a "?" in a circle. Click on the "?".
A popup should mention the being a MileagePlus CC holder and your miles will not expire. This signifies the MP account and CC have been properly linked.

Print Wikipost

Mileage Plus Branded Credit Card and Checked Baggage Fees {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hightide
If I buy United domestic tickets on a third party site such as Orbitz and pay with my United credit card, is United able to see that I paid with my United card? Do I have to show the card in-person to qualify for the free check-in bag?
generally, no. IIRC, only the agency can see the card you paid with. There was a thread on this from a couple of years ago, someone not getting free bag when booking through an agency. Believe the T&C of the card specify booking through United. If booking through an agency , even if they use UA merchant account for the card charge.

Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
Usually, United charges my card even when I buy the flight via Orbitz and then I can receive the free checked bag. However, if the travel agency charges your card directly, you are not eligible for the free checked bag allowance. You can call the OTA and find out how they will process the charge if you are not sure.
is this true in practice, or is that speculation?. Carriers let agencies use their merchant accounts, true. But carriers can’t nrcessarily see the charge or what card it was done through. Again, see thread from a couple of years ago.

Originally Posted by TA
I do not believe that showing the card at checkin will qualify for the free checked bag if it is not associated with the reservation, as the agent would need some basis to know that the card is actually linked to your MP# and qualifies for the fee waiver. If it doesn't get charged correctly, you may be out of luck.
Card needs to be used (and UA beeds to know that to flag it) to get the free bag, you cannot just show it at checkin. I suppose YMMV, but definitely not SOP.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 7:46 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe

is this true in practice, or is that speculation?. Carriers let agencies use their merchant accounts, true. But carriers can’t necessarily see the charge or what card it was done through. Again, see thread from a couple of years ago.
I normally buy my tickets directly from the airline. However, I have purchased two United tickets and one Delta tickets within the last year on Orbitz. My credit card was charged directly by the airline even though I used Orbitz.
Old Nov 17, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ChinaShrek
I normally buy my tickets directly from the airline. However, I have purchased two United tickets and one Delta tickets within the last year on Orbitz. My credit card was charged directly by the airline even though I used Orbitz.
yes, understood that Orbitz uses the card merchant account from the airline.

I’m asking if you have actual experience getting a free bag while using the card at an agency (which is separate from the name that appears on your card statement from the purchase).

Old Nov 17, 2018, 10:15 pm

Programs: 1K
If you used your card and it is ticketed on 016 stock, you are likely OK.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 2:21 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Thanks for the replies everyone
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by emcampbe

yes, understood that Orbitz uses the card merchant account from the airline.

I’m asking if you have actual experience getting a free bag while using the card at an agency (which is separate from the name that appears on your card statement from the purchase).
Sorry. Yes, I did. My free bag showed up in my reservation without any trouble.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 4:45 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Does it work because the CC info is transmitted to the airline along with all the relevant pax info as required by TSA or something, no matter what channel booked through?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not necessarily.

In addition, one cannot extrapolate from what happens with Orbitz in the US to what will happen with some other third-party vendor in some other country. How payments are processed and by whom is a matter of local rules, practices, and contracts.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:40 am

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I have booked through Orbitz, Travelocity, and through my work travel agency using my United Card, and I have always received my free bag allowance. The charges always appear on my statement as coming from United, not from the 3rd party.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:33 pm

I have a question. So I was stupid and paid for my flight taxes/fees with a different credit card, not united mileageplus... is there any way to still get free checked bags? Can I pay for the checked bags with my united card and then ask for a reimbursement? I booked this ticket a month ago.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 29, 2018 at 3:44 pm Reason: moved to master thread
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by stormpelt
I have a question. So I was stupid and paid for my flight taxes/fees with a different credit card, not united mileageplus... is there any way to still get free checked bags? Can I pay for the checked bags with my united card and then ask for a reimbursement? I booked this ticket a month ago.
No, not that I know of.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
No, not that I know of.
Also, it's really weird, but in my account on trip details, it shows that the first bag is 0 dollars... so, will it actually be 0 dollars, or will they change it?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:47 pm

Also, it's really weird, but in my account on trip details, it shows that the first bag is 0 dollars... so, will it actually be 0 dollars, or will they change it?
I'd print that out, bring it to the airport, and hope for the best!

The wording of the benefit is that you need to use the card to get the free bag, and that's what I've experienced -- i.e. if I pay with a different card it lists $25 for first bag.

Do you have United or *A status? Is the flight international? The flight is in economy?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:57 pm

you will be charged. I saw the same thing on one of my bookings. But when it comes down to it, the bags were not free for me. I want expecting them to be since I used a corporate Amex for my ticket. There must be some kind of glitch that recognizes you as a United Explorer card holder in some places, but doesnt recognize that you did NOT but the ticket with the card.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:42 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I have a question. So I was stupid and paid for my flight taxes/fees with a different credit card, not united mileageplus... is there any way to still get free checked bags? ....
Folks have found purchasing E+ access with the Chase MP card will also trigger the bag waiver. While this requires spending to puchaseE+, you end up with E+ and waived bag fees.

Can I pay for the checked bags with my united card and then ask for a reimbursement? ...
Doubful, it is not what the T&Cs allow. Sort of defeats the purpose of the promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.