Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Print Wikipost

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
I posted about this just yesterday in the questions about GPU usage thread. The exact same thing has happened to me on my upcoming TATL. The only response I got is that this is normal provided that all of the flights are consistent.

But it looked odd enough to me to post about this, too. I'm glad to hear that it's not just me!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
there have been many many many posts about this. There is nothing wrong with this ... UGs will still clear even if this goes via PZ-class requested. The app usually shows it correctly.
The only thing you need to get fixed is when schedule changes occur and you get re-booked ... then the waitlisted flight no longer matches in which case that would be a problem.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by cfischer
there have been many many many posts about this. There is nothing wrong with this ... UGs will still clear even if this goes via PZ-class requested. The app usually shows it correctly.
The only thing you need to get fixed is when schedule changes occur and you get re-booked ... then the waitlisted flight no longer matches in which case that would be a problem.
Thanks for the info. I have not seen the reports you mention. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
The app is consistently inconsistent: it shows the segments differently, the same way as united.com.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by FreFly
The app is consistently inconsistent: it shows the segments differently, the same way as united.com.
+1

I'm less concerned with the upgrade processing correctly than I am curious about why the two segments are shown differently in either the app or the website.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The way supported upgrade requests work is an additional segment is added to the PNR in the desired booking class (PZ usually), and that segment is waitlisted. The front-end display code will first check to see if a specific instrument or transaction ID is associated with the waitlisted segment (this is "Upgrade Requested" because it knows what you used), and then failing that it will check if the segments are the same flight and do "PZ class requested" if so. If all checks fail, it will show the separate waitlisted segment.

However, the front-end part doesn't seem to work perfectly all the time. When I had a massive, messy PNR with many segments and upgrade requests, I would get a different view each time I loaded the page. Unsure what is going on here, but you should not be concerned by the display as a waitlisted segment; this is always what it looks like to the back-end.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Thanks for the info. I have not seen the reports you mention. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Here is the wiki (yes there's a wiki for everything). 238 posts and counting!
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Starwood/Marriott Gold
While all of this is generally true, you do want to be wary of this in one situation: I had a friend of mine waitlist a couple of flights with his GPUs. When we went on his computer and placed the upgrades onto my reservation, clicking to confirm the waitlist went to an error page. I checked the reservation and it did say "PZ Class requested". I called United and the agent said it looked like the computer had done half of the work before running into an error. It had waitlisted me for the upgrade, yes, but it hadn't properly pulled the GPUs. The agent said that if PZ class had opened up, other would have passed me on the waitlist because the computer would not have cleared it if there wasn't proper upgrade coupons attached to the record. Since my friend was in the room with me, she was able to just pull from his account very quickly and get it fixed.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Here is the wiki (yes there's a wiki for everything). 238 posts and counting!
The wiki is about PZ replacing R, which I am well aware of. There are a couple posts about the inconsistent display problem, but most of the 238 posts are on a different topic.
chavala likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
The agent said that if PZ class had opened up, other would have passed me on the waitlist because the computer would not have cleared it if there wasn't proper upgrade coupons attached to the record. Since my friend was in the room with me, she was able to just pull from his account very quickly and get it fixed.
That's definitely not true, although I'm not surprised an agent would think it. "PZ class requested" versus "Upgrade requested" does indeed indicate there is no coupon attached, but the former will confirm if space is available. I've had manually hacked tickets in that state which cleared automatically, transferred to the visible list, etc.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by findark
That's definitely not true, although I'm not surprised an agent would think it. "PZ class requested" versus "Upgrade requested" does indeed indicate there is no coupon attached, but the former will confirm if space is available. I've had manually hacked tickets in that state which cleared automatically, transferred to the visible list, etc.
I have never seen a "PZ class requested" segment. What I see if an additional waitlisted segment with PZ fare class. GPU was subtracted from my account. I called UA, and the agent claims that even though the outbound and inbound segments look different to me, they look the same in her system, and everything is normal. I hope she is right.

Last edited by FreFly; Mar 7, 2019 at 1:34 pm Reason: re-wording
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:16 pm

The wiki is about PZ replacing R, which I am well aware of. There are a couple posts about the inconsistent display problem, but most of the 238 posts are on a different topic.
No that's not true. In fact, it can't be since the first post from that thread is from 2012 and PZ was invented in 2018! The mods retroactively changed some of the language to be "PZ inclusive" (which in retrospect, is confusing) but the crux remains: does the exact wording of an upgrade make a difference. And the consensus is no.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have never seen a "PZ class requested" segment. What I see if an additional waitlisted segment with PZ fare class. GPU was subtracted from my account. I called UA, and the agent claims that even though the outbound and inbound segments look different to me, they look the same in her system, and everything is normal. I hope she is right.
Yes, it would be the same in her backend (which will always show the waitlisted segment). It's weird that you consistently see the segment broken out on your end, but it's hard to think of something the agent could do to "fix" it other than re-apply the request. Note the one thing I am certain of is that if you don't clear, your instrument will not automatically refund (because the computer doesn't know what it is).

The crux of the matter is that this happens when the computer is uncertain how you supported your upgrade. It should clear anyway, as always modulo the normal gremlins in UA IT.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
No that's not true. In fact, it can't be since the first post from that thread is from 2012 and PZ was invented in 2018! The mods retroactively changed some of the language to be "PZ inclusive" (which in retrospect, is confusing) but the crux remains: does the exact wording of an upgrade make a difference. And the consensus is no.
Right, your link is to a thread about different ways waitlisted upgrades can be displayed. I clicked on the wiki, which took me to Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NoDestinations
While all of this is generally true, you do want to be wary of this in one situation: I had a friend of mine waitlist a couple of flights with his GPUs. When we went on his computer and placed the upgrades onto my reservation, clicking to confirm the waitlist went to an error page. I checked the reservation and it did say "PZ Class requested". I called United and the agent said it looked like the computer had done half of the work before running into an error. It had waitlisted me for the upgrade, yes, but it hadn't properly pulled the GPUs. The agent said that if PZ class had opened up, other would have passed me on the waitlist because the computer would not have cleared it if there wasn't proper upgrade coupons attached to the record. Since my friend was in the room with me, she was able to just pull from his account very quickly and get it fixed.
o.k., sure ... if you never actually properly requested the upgrade then yes ... that can be problem. I the certificate was used and PZ-class is properly wailisted ... all should be good. The rest is just a display issue.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:28 pm

Right, your link is to a thread about different ways waitlisted upgrades can be displayed. I clicked on the wiki, which took me to Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
Ah I see. Yes that is a link in the wiki to the thread I posted. Oddly enough the wiki doesn't summarize the content of the thread. If you read the posts, you'll see that they are relevant to your issue (I think, at this point even I'm confused...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.