Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Old Nov 3, 2018, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Until 18 Oct 2018, upgrade space for RPU/GPUs was "R" ("PN" for GS), starting 19 Oct 2018 "R" has been replaced by "PZ"
Changes to UA's Fare Classes (19-20 October 2018)
"R" upgrade / fare class is missing! (replaced by PZ)
Print Wikipost

Difference of"Upgrade Requested","Segment has been Waitlisted","R/PZ class requested"

Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Question,

I am flying YYZ-SFO-HKG, all on the same day, the wait in SFO is 13 Hrs (only other option was 1 hour without a double connect)

I called in and they put the upgrade (cleared right away for SFO-HKG as PZ open) but YYZ-SFO is not open.

Instead of the site showing the normal "your upgrade has been requested using a global premier upgrade" or whatever I see the segment with no upgrade thing beside it at all, but at the bottom of the entire reservation I see a "Flight to San Francisco - WAITLISTED" section in GOLD and I click on it and it says: "Waitlisted You will be automatically confirmed on this flight if space in your request class United First (PZ) becomes available."

Just wondering any thoughts on if I should be worried or what, I have never seen this on any of my reservations before and for such a long (5.5hr) flight I want to make sure it's ok. Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2019, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As long as it is exactly the same flight, it should be fine.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Data point from this week's travels. I had a two segment itinerary PHL-DEN-YVR with RPU applied. First segment showed as "Upgrade Requested" and second segment showed "PZ class requested". Called in a couple of times in the weeks before departure, but multiple agents insisted everything was in order.

At t-28, the second segment cleared. First segment never cleared, and I was shown as number 2 on the upgrade waitlist.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by transportprof
Data point from this week's travels. I had a two segment itinerary PHL-DEN-YVR with RPU applied. First segment showed as "Upgrade Requested" and second segment showed "PZ class requested". Called in a couple of times in the weeks before departure, but multiple agents insisted everything was in order.

At t-28, the second segment cleared. First segment never cleared, and I was shown as number 2 on the upgrade waitlist.
Same thing happened to me last month. I called in and they confirmed all was good. Well upgrade never happened and was low on the upgrade list which was surprising.

Upgrade did not go back into my account and then there was an issue for the CS person recovering it for me as I wanted to apply it to another reservation. On the new reservation shows PZ requested and shows I am using an RPU.

On the flight where it was Upgrade requested never showed RPU being used.

I personally do not think they are the same based on one PNR with a RPUs applied both way.

Feel much better about the flight where it shows me PZ requested and the detail shows me RPU applied.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Feel much better about the flight where it shows me PZ requested and the detail shows me RPU applied.
What does this look like? I have never heard of it before - it's either "PZ class requested (You are confirmed in....)" or "Upgrade requested (Upgrade requested using a Regional Premier Upgrade)".
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
PZ Class Requested

I’m in PP on and A class ticket from BOM Mumbai to EWR UA49 and waitlisted with a GPU for PZ class. My mobile app now says “PZ Class Requested”. Is this the right verbiage or Do I need to call in. It’s now at the 96 hour window so I think it’s possible it may clear but I do t want to wait if there is a problem.

edit: the verbiage changed back to “Upgrade Requested” from “PZ Class Requested”. Was this caused by a sweep? Any idea?

Last edited by tryathlete; Oct 16, 2019 at 4:47 am
Old Feb 20, 2021, 8:58 am

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
I recently requested PlusPoints upgrades for EWR-SFO-OGG for 2 passengers in the same PNR. I then requested to split the PNR’s so we would have a better chance on the waitlist (spouse and I have the same status). Once the PNRs split, the itineraries look slightly different and I’m just wondering if this is an issue.

The PlusPoints Summary looks fine with both itineraries listed as Waitlisted.
PNR 1 (spouse) looks like it usually does for a PlusPoint upgrade, with upgrades noted as waitlisted on the app and website, with PlusPoints noted as the source.
PNR 2 (mine) looks different: the app shows “Upgrade Requested” instead of “Waitlisted” and when you click on it, it says “upgrade requested using a MileagePlus Upgrade Award”. On the website, the confirmed itinerary shows the same Waitlist icon as usual and when you click on it, notes Points as instrument, but there is also a second “Waitlisted” itinerary specifically showing the PZ waitlisted segments (see below).

Is this something that needs to be cleaned up or will affect upgrade processing or are both normal?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2021 at 9:54 am Reason: Moved to subjct thread
Old Feb 20, 2021, 9:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Traditionally this has meant the allocation of the "GPU" to the reservation was not completely process. It generally was not an issue as that would get handled later if the upgrade clear.

Today when PlusPoints are not pulled until the upgrade clears that explanation probably needs refinement. It still likely means the internal processing is at a different state. I would call and have an agent look at both. Probably not a serious issue, just a new twist on an old problem(hopefully).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 20, 2021 at 9:53 am
Old Feb 20, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: DL-Plat, UA-Plat 2MM, AA-PlatPro, B6-Mosaic 3, AY-Plat, HY-Globalist, MR-LT Plat, HH-Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Traditionally this has meant the allocation of the "GPU" to the reservation was not completely process. It generally was not an issue as that would get handled later if the upgrade clear.

Today when PlusPoints are not pulled until the upgrade clears that explanation probably needs refinement. It still likely means the internal processing is at a different state. I would call and have an agent look at both. Probably not a serious issue, just a new twist on an old problem(hopefully).
So, funny thing happened... I went for a run right after I posted this and when I came back, both itineraries had completely changed. The SFO-OGG economy segments had dropped out of both and there was a message that there had been modifications made and to call reservations. I got excited our upgrades had cleared, but turns out the segments literally just dropped out of both itineraries (the agent said there were major systems issues today and he was doing a lot of this today).

At the same time, I did ask him to review both itineraries and ensure that the upgrades had been set up properly on both, describing what I had seen. He said everything looked fine on his end after adding the segments back in, but I’m still seeing them set up the same way I described above.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Just check PZ spaces daily and call 1K line if you feel that something is unusual. At this time, you play a trick with your phone’s date (move to your travel date and then check flight status) to check your spots on the upgrade standby lists. If both names are there, you can assume that agent told you the truth. Otherwise, call again.
Good luck.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Just check PZ spaces daily and call 1K line if you feel that something is unusual. At this time, you play a trick with your phone’s date (move to your travel date and then check flight status) to check your spots on the upgrade standby lists. If both names are there, you can assume that agent told you the truth. Otherwise, call again.
Good luck.
First of all, thank you for the tip about the phone date, super helpful!

My confirmed economy segments dropped again... turns out they were being dropped as they conflicted with an award reservation I had booked on Turkish. I had planned to cancel this, but didn’t realize that even if it was for completely different UA flights, they would still mark the new flights as “duplicate”. Cancelled the TK reservation, UA re-added the segments, and now everything looks intact again and I can see us on the UG waitlist for both flights.
jsloan and Kmxu like this.
Old Feb 20, 2021, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daslax
... My confirmed economy segments dropped again... turns out they were being dropped as they conflicted with an award reservation I had booked on Turkish. I had planned to cancel this, but didn’t realize that even if it was for completely different UA flights, they would still mark the new flights as “duplicate”. ....
If on UA ticket stock, yes
[Consolidated] - Duplicated / double / impossible reservations -- What will UA do?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:00 pm

What is the difference between upgraded requested and upgrade waitlisted? I used PP to upgrade some family members on separate reservations. However, one res says upgrade requested and when you hover over it, it says upgrading with MileagePlus award . This also show an extra segment of the same flight that shows PZ waitlisted as opposed to the regular segment with upgrade requested designation.

Another reservation on the same routing says upgraded waitlisted and hovering icon says PP upgrade.

Any insight?
Old Oct 30, 2021, 12:37 pm

Did you use an agent or do online?

The one odd segment will probably eventually correct but that is sign that something was not completed correctly.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Did you use an agent or do online?

The one odd segment will probably eventually correct but that is sign that something was not completed correctly.
Originally there were 3 people on the reservation including myself. To go for the Fly to the Finish, I upfared to business meet the PQP requirements. When that was completed, the two other passengers were spun off into their own confirmation numbers. One shows standard PP message, the other shows requested with mileage plus upgrade reward language and also an extra segment with a yellow box around it and says PZ waitlisted.

this was done by an agent. Just got off the phone and the agent said it’s looks correct but I’m thinking to call for another opinion or see any experience on FT on this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.