Wiki Posts
Search

Absurd situation-- downgraded on IAD-BRU

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AF FB silver
Absurd situation-- downgraded on IAD-BRU

Yesterday, September 29th, I was flying UA950 IAD-BRU. I had requested to use one of my GPU or SWU, about 2 weeks before. Since it was not clearing, I called the 1K desk and they told me that there was a sync problem, they would have fixed it and it was likely I would have been upgraded.

I receive a new flight confirmation and the next day I get cleared for BF, and can select seat 6C.

I arrive at the airport and I cannot get my boarding pass printed, have to get help from check in desk. It looks like I have two reservations, one in coach and one in BF, but the guy tells me he can only print the coach one, and to get the new boarding pass at the gate. I get at the gate (I wasted about 30 minutes in all this), and they had given away my seat.

I ask to call a supervisor, to whom I can show that on my iPhone the BF upgrade showed as confirmed. There is nothing she can do, all seats are gone. She was the only nice person in the whole situation. She told me she will investigate and let me know. We'll see.

I am really, really, REALLY upset. If UA cannot fix their systems, and their personnel both at 1K desk AND check in desks cannot fix problems, they should change their business.

Even if I get the GPU back (as it shows used), I won't be able to use it anymore by November 30th, when it expires. After this flight I will get my 1K status for 2013, and 6 GPU. If this is the way UA operates, they can keep their perks, that exist only on paper!!!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: UA 1K
You had a confirmed reservation in a premium cabin and were denied that seat. Under UA's own rules, UA will offer you fairly generous downgrade compensation (iirc, high three figures). Ask about "GG OVS DOWNGRADE" if agents don't believe you.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mherdeg
You had a confirmed reservation in a premium cabin and were denied that seat. Under UA's own rules, UA will offer you fairly generous downgrade compensation (iirc, high three figures). Ask about "GG OVS DOWNGRADE" if agents don't believe you.
Thanks for the advice. The gate agents tried to give the responsibility to me, saying that I showed up too late, when I had accepted a coach boarding pass. The paradox is that I showed up late because the check in agent could not fix the problem, and told me I would have been given the right boarding pass at the gate.
Also, in their system my upgrade showed as not confirmed, but the supervisor who came at the gate could see that I had in my hands a confirmed upgrade (I managed to email to her just before my BF seat disappeared also from the reservation I had on my phone).
I will ask for compensation, although I have to say that I am fairly tired of compensations when UA does not meet its commitments. This would make the second time I get compensated in 2 weeks for services faults... which does not speak very well of the service...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:03 am

Just as a reference point, i was confirmed into GF (using a GPU to upgrade from BF) 3 weeks before my ORD-PEK flight and UA took away my seat just as i boarded the plane with their excuse being some system glitch causing an overbooking in GF - i ended up back in BF with a $1500 travel certificate.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:58 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
The simple solution was to cncl the Y reservation, then check in to the only remaining one.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
You didn't happen to see an "A modification has been made to your reservation" in red when pulling after the upgrade was cleared?
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
You didn't happen to see an "A modification has been made to your reservation" in red when pulling after the upgrade was cleared?

Yes, I did... when I thought the upgrade had been cleared... at the check in they told me it had been cleared, at the gate they told me it had never been cleared... the weird thing is that my seat (6C) was showing on the screen as just 3rd out of 4 given away at the gate...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:14 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
write 1k voice, ask for downgrade compensation. If they don't get back to you in a week, file a DOT complaint. It is the only thing they really listen to at this point...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by easte
Yesterday, September 29th, I was flying UA950 IAD-BRU. I had requested to use one of my GPU or SWU, about 2 weeks before. Since it was not clearing, I called the 1K desk and they told me that there was a sync problem, they would have fixed it and it was likely I would have been upgraded.

I receive a new flight confirmation and the next day I get cleared for BF, and can select seat 6C.

I arrive at the airport and I cannot get my boarding pass printed, have to get help from check in desk. It looks like I have two reservations, one in coach and one in BF, but the guy tells me he can only print the coach one, and to get the new boarding pass at the gate. I get at the gate (I wasted about 30 minutes in all this), and they had given away my seat. . .
Is this the same issue as the ongoing discussions about United's reservation systems showing "coach" seating on the seatmap for upgraded passengers?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ack-coach.html

When I called, the CSR stated that there were two reservations - one in Y, the other in F. Superficially sounded like what you ran into here.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:34 pm

Brutal! I would be infuriated!
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Yes, I did... when I thought the upgrade had been cleared... at the check in they told me it had been cleared, at the gate they told me it had never been cleared... the weird thing is that my seat (6C) was showing on the screen as just 3rd out of 4 given away at the gate...
I think the display at the gate shows cleared passengers in alphabetical order, not order of clearing.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by davewang202
Is this the same issue as the ongoing discussions about United's reservation systems showing "coach" seating on the seatmap for upgraded passengers?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ack-coach.html

When I called, the CSR stated that there were two reservations - one in Y, the other in F. Superficially sounded like what you ran into here.
I am not sure whether you mean that your companion is now booked in F and you have a double reservation in Y AND F (which would be similar to my case) or your reservation is in Y, and your companion's in F (which would be a different case).

Either way, I would baby sit the reservation and, once you have any proof of your F reservations, DO NOT leave the check-in desk unless either you have your F boarding passes OR you get the check-in agent call the gate and confirm your upgrade.

Originally Posted by spin88
write 1k voice, ask for downgrade compensation. If they don't get back to you in a week, file a DOT complaint. It is the only thing they really listen to at this point...
Pardon my ignorance, do you have the contact of 1K voice? Thanks!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Oct 1, 2012 at 6:55 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 1, 2012, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA -GS 4.5 MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
I think this is an important point. I always call UA when I see that an upgrade has cleared and there is a notice that "A modification has ..." When I call they "reissue the ticket". This seems to avoid problems at check-in.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 8:49 pm

Programs: 1MM UA
I hope you are enjoying Brussels.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:58 pm

If you checked luggage, you should have said "fine, I'm not flying. Go find my bag." That should be enough for UA to downgrade an employee or the last gate upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.