Goodbye and goodluck!

Old Sep 28, 12, 3:33 pm
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Goodbye and goodluck!

Deat FT,

Just found out this afternoon that in just a few weeks, I will no longer have a job with United Express in Portland, Maine.

As seems to be the standard operating procedure these days, UA will be switching Ground Handlers in Portland. This is surely for a combination of factors, though I'm sure it primarily cost related, as these things usually are.

When I was offered the job way back in 2008, I couldn't imagine the impact it would have on my life. I went into the job with no idea that it would become a near obsession. I fell in love with the job, the industry, the people. I discovered what I want to do for a career, and hopefully will still achieve that goal in the future. I have Jet-A and Glycol running through my veins, and that won't change anytime soon.

It's been an amazing ride, and I'm thrilled to have met some of you over the years. For those I wasn't able to meet, I'm glad I've been able to help people here on FT, hopefully giving folks a bit of an inside perspective on various topics and issues. Indeed, reading your points of view on things has helped me serve everyone better as well.

I'm not sure what the next few months will hold, or where I'll end up. Ideally, I'd love to continue to work in the industry. While I love the Friendly Skies, I'm keeping all of my options open, not just looking at UA. If I am fortunate enough to grab another job in this wonderful field, I'll be sure to share it with you all. Regardless of what company or job field I end up in, I'll be sticking around here for quite a while, this has always been more than a job to me.

These next few weeks will be incredibly bittersweet. I look forward to work like I normally do, but in the back of mind I know there's a clock ticking down to departure time...

Sincerely,

Gabriel

EDIT 10/5:
Originally Posted by PWMRamper View Post
Just wanted to update this thread.

I've been applying for jobs non-stop in the past week, with a bunch of different airlines, all over the country.

I was planning to be out in MSP visiting family this week, but also got a callback last Saturday from Delta Air Lines about a position I applied for. I was able to schedule that interview for this morning, while I was out in MSP.

Just got back from that interview, and I am thrilled to report I was offered a position with Delta as a Reservations Representative!

I have tentatively accepted the offer, and start training on November 12th. (Coincidentally, my last day in PWM was supposed to be November 11th, how funny is that?) The reason it's a tentative acceptance is because it's going to be difficult to relocate in 5 weeks. I'll be doing everything I can to make it work, but it will be tough.

While not a position in Airport Ops, it's still a Customer Service position, and it's with a mainline carrier, which has a lot of value. There's plenty of room for advancement, and even for transferring to other departments (such as airport ops). I'm thrilled for the opportunity, and am even more excited to stay in the industry I love so much!

All of your kind wishes in this thread are much appreciated! Means more than I can say.

Last edited by MSPGabe; Oct 5, 12 at 11:50 am
Old Sep 28, 12, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
PWMRamper,

Wow, that is awful news. I hate it when these things happen on weekends.

Over the years you've struck me as someone very capable and based on that I'm sure you'll land on your feet. Hopefully in Portland; I've been there and it is beautiful.

Good luck and do keep us posted.
Old Sep 28, 12, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/1MM, DL PM, UA Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Spire/AMB, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I can't believe this. You're one of the most levelheaded and resourceful employees on Flyertalk and your posts have taught me more information than I can handle. Plus, a mutual friend of ours (Daniel) speaks extremely high of you and that speaks even more. About two years ago I got laid off on a Friday and I know what it feels like. If I can help you out in any way, feel free to contact me.
Old Sep 28, 12, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PWMRamper View Post
Deat FT,

Just found out this afternoon that in just a few weeks, I will no longer have a job with United Express in Portland, Maine.

As seems to be the standard operating procedure these days, UA will be switching Ground Handlers in Portland. This is surely for a combination of factors, though I'm sure it primarily cost related, as these things usually are.

When I was offered the job way back in 2008, I couldn't imagine the impact it would have on my life. I went into the job with no idea that it would become a near obsession. I fell in love with the job, the industry, the people. I discovered what I want to do for a career, and hopefully will still achieve that goal in the future. I have Jet-A and Glycol running through my veins, and that won't change anytime soon.

It's been an amazing ride, and I'm thrilled to have met some of you over the years. For those I wasn't able to meet, I'm glad I've been able to help people here on FT, hopefully giving folks a bit of an inside perspective on various topics and issues. Indeed, reading your points of view on things has helped me serve everyone better as well.

I'm not sure what the next few months will hold, or where I'll end up. Ideally, I'd love to continue to work in the industry. While I love the Friendly Skies, I'm keeping all of my options open, not just looking at UA. If I am fortunate enough to grab another job in this wonderful field, I'll be sure to share it with you all. Regardless of what company or job field I end up in, I'll be sticking around here for quite a while, this has always been more than a job to me.

These next few weeks will be incredibly bittersweet. I look forward to work like I normally do, but in the back of mind I know there's a clock ticking down to departure time...

Sincerely,

Gabriel
Sorry to hear that & fingers crossed you get something even better!

Have appreciated your posts; don't desert us on FT.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 12, 3:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
PWMRamper/Gabriel

Tough news, hope you can bounce back quickly.

I too have greatly appreciated the insight into operations and the difficult role as airport agent you have provided.

Thanks and best wishes, stay in touch
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold
Just want to stress that I still have a job at the moment. Transition happens in early November.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for everything, Gabriel ^ It's been a lot of fun knowing you the past couple of years, and I know that you'll find something just as enjoyable as UX & ZW.

Best of luck ^
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA1K .6MM
Thank you so much for all the information you've brought to us here over the years. I've lurked silently but always appreciated your insight & analysis. Truly one of the best information centers in the UA forum - I have many of your posts permanently bookmarked in my FT folder.

Best of luck in your future endeavors. Keep your head up^
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:24 pm

^Luv ya, Man!^

Good luck in the future!!!^
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Good luck to you. I have always appreciated your posts and insights.
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1k
oh no!!! you are one of the most wonderful employees. i'm still not sure if i've ever met you - i have to figure this out. but i'm very sorry to hear this news. i hope you land another job at united, as the company is extremely lucky to have someone like you. maybe you should move to SFO
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:48 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
I just want to echo what others have said--your posts have been informative, intelligent, level-headed and a real help to those of us on this forum. I think that must reflect your character and I believe any company would be lucky to have you. Hopefully you can find the right fit for you, whether it's in Portland or somewhere else.
Old Sep 28, 12, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by eefor jfp View Post
I just want to echo what others have said--your posts have been informative, intelligent, level-headed and a real help to those of us on this forum. I think that must reflect your character and I believe any company would be lucky to have you. Hopefully you can find the right fit for you, whether it's in Portland or somewhere else.
+1. My very best to you for a successful future.
Old Sep 28, 12, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Not much I can add to the above other than to say that I too have been an admirer from afar. Best of luck to you!
Old Sep 28, 12, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM, Amtrak & OAL peon, Blingy metal at most hotels, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Any airline -- any company -- would be so fortunate to have such a thoughtful, caring, engaged employee as yourself, Gabriel! Thanks all for your ongoing contributions here, and best of luck in the next chapter. ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: