Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye and goodluck!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2017, 10:54 am
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum
5 years ago today I started taking phone calls..so I figured it would be a fun time for an PWMRamper/MSPGabe update!

Still loving every minute of Delta. Got to return to the Philippines to help teach another class there.

I then moved out of my training position (TDY was close to finishing) and into a position which works closely with policy and procedure. I act as a liaison between frontline and the policy owners. It's a fun role that's different and challenging.

Flown another 152,000 miles this year. Exciting trips include flying on Delta's inaugural A350 flight in Suites, flying on one of Delta's employee 747 farewell flights, and competing in Delta's annual non-rev challenge fundraiser (a worldwide photo scavenger hunt, raising money this year for hurricane relief), hitting 10 countries in 2 weeks.

We just found out my team won this year's non-rev challenge, and get to fly a flight sim down in Atlanta.

I'm on track to hit 1,000,000 miles by the end of next year.

Hope all is well on the United side here.

Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
So happy to hear from you again, and thanks for sharing your adventures with us. DL is a tremendously fun company to work for. Best wishes for your future endeavors!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
PWM still isn't quite the same without you there. Glad to hear you're still doing well!
Old Dec 24, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by MSPGabe
5 years ago today I started taking phone calls..so I figured it would be a fun time for an PWMRamper/MSPGabe update!

Still loving every minute of Delta. Got to return to the Philippines to help teach another class there.

I then moved out of my training position (TDY was close to finishing) and into a position which works closely with policy and procedure. I act as a liaison between frontline and the policy owners. It's a fun role that's different and challenging.

Flown another 152,000 miles this year. Exciting trips include flying on Delta's inaugural A350 flight in Suites, flying on one of Delta's employee 747 farewell flights, and competing in Delta's annual non-rev challenge fundraiser (a worldwide photo scavenger hunt, raising money this year for hurricane relief), hitting 10 countries in 2 weeks.

We just found out my team won this year's non-rev challenge, and get to fly a flight sim down in Atlanta.

I'm on track to hit 1,000,000 miles by the end of next year.

Hope all is well on the United side here.

Congratulations!
Be careful saying that on this site....they’ll be calling it the “new employee class” 🤫
Two Bee likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Yeah, opened in November.
--------
Did you really go help train people in an outsourced reservations office = less U.S. jobs ?....bet that didn't go over well with a lot of other (senior or not) Delta employees. This is to Delta's advantage - they just pay one lump sum to the vendor, who then pays their ever-changing employees - no benefits, no job security or wage negotiation, low salaries, etc . Someone did this from United years ago (went to India to help train) when United decided they would be shutting down domestic reservation call centers. She was totally ostracized and shut-out by her coworkers. Then United dumped thousands of in-house reservationist jobs in the U.S. I feel sorry for airline employees today - anyone who was not hired at least 20 years ago has no chance for their "career" to last a lifetime. Your moving into a position at Delta dealing with policy and procedures was probably a good (and longer lasting) idea.

At this point it's just a matter of time before passengers will be dealing with Artificial Intelligence at airports (or from home) and will not need humans to interact with, check them in or get them through the gate onto an aircraft. The negative side is the results we have seen when things go wrong - trying to reason with a third party overseas call center employee, vendored employees at ticket counters and kiosks or robots who are unable to think out of the box or have any motivation to be loyal to passengers or Delta or whomever they "work for". Oh well.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Dec 24, 2017 at 7:37 pm
Old Dec 25, 2017, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Making an awful lot of assumptions there. DL closed their India call center back in 2009 due to negative customer feedback. Doubtful they are heading back to Asia in a big way.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 9:06 am
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Six years later...and a big update.

A couple weeks ago I accepted a position with Delta Tech Ops, working in Logistics. It's a fast paced, fun environment that's completely different from Reservations. While I love Res, it was time for a change.

Still in training at the new job, and it's nice to learn a completely different side of the business.

It's been another great year of travel...hitting 6 new countries (Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Russia, China, and Spain) and I had the ability to cross of a few bucket list items (The Masters, The World Cup) this year. I'm at 970k lifetime flight miles....and need to do a bit of work to hit a million by the end of the year. I still have a Philippines trip upcoming though, so that should help.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM

A couple weeks ago I accepted a position with Delta Tech Ops, working in Logistics. It's a fast paced, fun environment that's completely different from Reservations. While I love Res, it was time for a change.

Still in training at the new job, and it's nice to learn a completely different side of the business.

It's been another great year of travel...hitting 6 new countries (Croatia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Russia, China, and Spain) and I had the ability to cross of a few bucket list items (The Masters, The World Cup) this year. I'm at 970k lifetime flight miles....and need to do a bit of work to hit a million by the end of the year. I still have a Philippines trip upcoming though, so that should help.
Thank you for your update. Wish you all the best at your new Delta Tech Ops position.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 10:17 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Glad to hear you're still enjoying your chosen career field and flourishing in it. Congrats on closing in on 1M flown miles ... after 35 years, I'm still shy of 800k BIS miles on UA.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Every time I read an update from you, Gabe, I get a big smile on my face. It is always a pleasure to hear from people who truly love the work they do and are proud to talk about their accomplishments in a humble and joyful way. Continued success and congratulations.
wavid, wrp96, goodeats21 and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM

Best of luck with the career move. Doing what makes you happy is key.

You will still have to use your brain just as much, while avoiding Maine winters.

Adam
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium

It's always interesting to see a fellow Widget with Million Miler status at United.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 7:16 pm
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Hello all!

8 years ago was when I accepted my Reservations job, so I figured it'd be a good time for an update, 2 years since my last post!

First things first. I hope all in the UA forum are safe and sound during this crazy time.

Since I didn't post last year...a few updates on my travels and life since then (which are, of course, non-existent since March).

I had a really exciting opportunity in December of 2018 to fly on a Delta Delivery Flight! I got to head to Seattle and fly on a brand, spankin' new 737-900ER from Boeing Field. There were just the pilots, myself, and a few other employees on board. It was an awesome experience.

Hit a million miles in early 2019, and flew on Delta's inaugural A220 flight from New York to Boston.

But early 2019 was rather momentous, as I flew back to the Philippines to propose to my then girlfriend in beautiful Boracay. We had already started the fiancee visa process (as she's a Filipino citizen) in January, but it was nice to make it official!

I explored Hong Kong for the first time in April 2019, as her brother lives there. Met the rest of her family there and greatly enjoyed the trip!

Friend and I went to Paris for the Women's World Cup in June, and then flew to Kyiv for a few days. First time in Ukraine, and we really enjoyed Kyiv. Highlight of the trip though was definitely the day trip to the Chernobyl Exclusion Zone. I had wanted to visit for years and it absolutely lived up to the hype.

October was special, as I flew out to the Philippines alone, and flew back with my fiancee!

Besides a few quick work trips in the fall, I stayed grounded and prepared for the wedding. We had our wedding in December and it was nearly perfect! (And it was travel themed!)

We took a few trips at the beginning of the year before Covid hit...to New York in January, Puerto Rico in February, and Maine in early March.

Since then, we've been pretty much isolating. My wife was able to head home to visit the Philippines for the first time since moving last month, and is planning to stay through the holidays. I took a 6 month unpaid leave from work, and just went back on September 1st.

I'm still in Logistics and greatly enjoying it. We lost about 40% of the department due to early retirements. Thankfully, no frontline staff at Delta are being furloughed at this point. It's certainly been a challenging, bumpy, year, and the long term is uncertain. But we'll get through this!

Again, I hope you all stay safe and healthy!
uanj, PTahCha, iluv2fly and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 10:05 pm

Location: out my front door 60 min prior to IAH flight until they increased the check in time to 45 min
Programs: CO Platinum or UA 1K for so long, now almost 2MM
Thank you for the update. In a world full of gloomy news, it was nice to hear that you are doing well.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:45 pm
Used to be PWMRamper
Original Poster

Hey y'all! Been a couple years... Back with another update.

First, the sad news. My wife moved back home to the Philippines late last year. Adjusting to living 8,000 miles away from home was difficult, being away from family and all. Covid certainly didn't help matters on that front. It was a tough situation all around... But she's doing well back home, and I'm doing well here.

Bittersweet news next...I just finished my last day in Minneapolis, and my last day in TechOps. I've loved my time here, but it was time for a change and something new...

Great news, I recently accepted a promotion to join Delta's Revenue Management team in Atlanta! I start training next week! It's been a whirlwind the last month or so, and it's gonna continue for a bit until I get settled down south. Thankfully, I've got some great friends in Atlanta that will help ease the transition. I'm so excited to break new ground and continue to grow and learn in my career, and Atlanta's definitely a great place for it. (Plus, what better place to travel from!)

On the travel front, it's still been tough with covid, but in November I did take my first international trip since October 2019. My friend and I few to Ireland, Scotland, and England. I had been to Ireland and England before, but not with this friend. It was an incredible trip, and I loved driving through the Scottish Highlands.

Hope y'all are well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.