Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Same flights as "multiple destinations" cheaper than round trip?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

So I recently decided to tweak with some flight options and found I can take the same round trip itin I have and use "multiple destinations" to buy each as a one way trip and drop the fare $200.

so instead of
AAA-CCC, Return of CCC-BBB-AAA
I can do
AAA-CCC, then on return day, CCC-BBB and BBB-AAA

Same flights. Lower cost. Is that obnoxious or what? (should I be concerned about any other issues? like what if I want to apply GPU to the return day, now it will only do the one flight, correct?) edit: will it even let me purchase this or is it going to give me some sort of error message when I try?

Last edited by ACVBear; Sep 26, 2012 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
I've seen this even with PMUA. I was able to apply upgrades nonetheless (I don't think upgrades care about how you purchased the ticket, as long as the stopover is less than a certain number of hours).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

sorry yeah didn't mean to make that a "stupid NEW website" glitch as much as just stupid general website problem that STILL exists.

Anyway good to know about the upgrade side of things. Cool, thanks!
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
You could always try to upgrade immediately after buying the ticket and if it asks for more upgrades cancel it and rebook. (I actually haven't experienced this since the merger so that's why I am not 100% sure about the upgrades).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Actually ran into an error and had to call in. When they purchased it over phone it was listed as one return leg so one upgrade.

Now I'm having that glitch where it knows im in first but won't save my seat selection and keeps putting me back in E+ haha.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:34 pm

Was this because booking a one PNR required all to be the same fare class, as opposed to utilizing a lower fare class being available when booking separately?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HumbleBee
Was this because booking a one PNR required all to be the same fare class, as opposed to utilizing a lower fare class being available when booking separately?
not such PNR requirement to be a single fare but this may have been a direct flight or married segements that forced a higher fare class (was the fare class different for one segement?).
Old Sep 26, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Yes, it is obnoxious that it works this way and you have to use the Matrix ITA search to find the connections to put into the Multiple Destination Search to book. When searching for RT EWR-HKG tickets, I checked the +/- 3 Days box and found that there was a fare for $400 cheaper on different days. I go to click it, and it jumps up $400 when trying to book. Finally booked it as a Multiple Destination ticket after finding the cities in Matrix search.

The ticket was EWR-HKG and then HKG-NRT-EWR. I applied a GPU on the outbound that is still wait listed. The GPU applied on the return cleared and I am upgraded on both HKG-NRT and NRT-EWR no problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.